It's OK to soar

Old April 17th 20, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default It's OK to soar

Well it should be, chief super health guy Fauci says it is OK to have sex with random people. Friends it is time to open the clubs. Flying clubs that is.
“You know, everybody has their own tolerance for risks, and it depends on the level of the interaction that you want to have. If you’re looking for a friend, sit in a room, put a mask on and, you know, chat a bit. If you want to go a little bit more intimate, well, then, that’s your choice regarding a risk.”
Just say no to the Holocough.
Old April 17th 20, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 11:24:05 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Well it should be, chief super health guy Fauci says it is OK to have sex with random people. Friends it is time to open the clubs. Flying clubs that is.
“You know, everybody has their own tolerance for risks, and it depends on the level of the interaction that you want to have. If you’re looking for a friend, sit in a room, put a mask on and, you know, chat a bit. If you want to go a little bit more intimate, well, then, that’s your choice regarding a risk.”
Just say no to the Holocough.

There might be 50x more cases than have been publicized: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....14.20062463v1

Isn't that interesting.

T8
Old April 17th 20, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Isn't that interesting.

If says maybe 50x more cases than have been confirmed.
Still only a few percent. Seems too few for herd immunity, but too many for contact tracing.

For the general population, ending this seems like a question of not if, but when and how you get immune.

If (kind of a big if) social distancing has made a medically sustainable situation, how do you morph it to make it also economically sustainable?

As a test case, how would you staff a meat packing plant?

Old April 17th 20, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 3:20:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Isn't that interesting.

If says maybe 50x more cases than have been confirmed.
Still only a few percent. Seems too few for herd immunity, but too many for contact tracing.

For the general population, ending this seems like a question of not if, but when and how you get immune.

If (kind of a big if) social distancing has made a medically sustainable situation, how do you morph it to make it also economically sustainable?

As a test case, how would you staff a meat packing plant?

I'm no doctor, but logically, isn't it...

"The same way you always did" ?

If that study turns out to be reflective of what's really happening in the larger population, I think it says that the urgent need is figuring out how to identify and treat or protect those that are vulnerable to severe symptoms. The rest of us will be fine. It also says that you are probably going to be exposed to this bug sometime this year unless you take truly extraordinary measures.

It says that the incidence of severe illness is quite low.

T8
Old April 17th 20, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

My daughter's an epidemiologist and is pretty certain I already had it at the beginning of February. I was down for ten days with all of the symptoms, including coughing, shortness of breath, fever for five days, fatigue, and aches. My doctor made a comment about the flu leaving people with a lingering cough...

I'm waiting for the availability of an antibody test to verify whether I had it or not.

Old April 17th 20, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

That "underascertainment" factor may explain why the care homes are being hit so hard as there's a lot of asymptomatic folks because it spreads so easily and it just takes just one such underascertained case to light the fuse.

It won't surprise me if the virus becomes endemic.
Old April 18th 20, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 3:13:33 PM UTC-6, Paul Agnew wrote:
My daughter's an epidemiologist and is pretty certain I already had it at the beginning of February. I was down for ten days with all of the symptoms, including coughing, shortness of breath, fever for five days, fatigue, and aches. My doctor made a comment about the flu leaving people with a lingering cough...

I'm waiting for the availability of an antibody test to verify whether I had it or not.

I returned to a 'sick house' on Feb 25 after the convention. My wife spent several days mostly in bed, grandsons were sick with some missed school days, daughter too. My son-in-law seems okay and has been working regularly. By the next Monday I was in bed mostly for a low grade daily fever, aches, listlessness, little appetite, and chest congestion and sinus infection. On the ninth day with a fever I checked into my clinic and was tested negatively for flu and the suggestion if I still had a fever in another three days to check back in. I wanted to also make sure I wasn't presenting with strep and the doc said it didn't appear so. So, we may have had it. Kids are schooling online, daughter and wife are not working and everything social is online mostly or phone calls or neighbor speak. If you don't like Zoom, check out Jitsi. Snowed twice this week and record cold temps last night, which made staying indoors easier. Likewise waiting for the antibody test. Death clusters in the rest homes locally unfortunately.

Frank Whiteley
Old April 18th 20, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 4/17/20 5:55 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:

[...]

Not to mention a major covid outbreak at a local meat packing plant, 4
fatalities and something like 40 confirmed infections.

Fat boy wants to soar... toggles mcfarley Soaring 24 March 23rd 10 06:51 PM
Horney to Soar! GARY BOGGS Soaring 5 January 9th 10 04:15 PM
XC-Soar [email protected] Soaring 4 January 26th 09 04:06 PM
XC Soar and iPaq 310? Brad[_2_] Soaring 4 November 19th 08 12:30 PM
why do you soar? Mark James Boyd Soaring 27 October 21st 03 07:48 PM