Hisense A5 e-Ing phone

Old May 9th 20, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Hisense A5 e-Ing phone

On Fri, 08 May 2020 13:51:29 -0700, Phil Plane wrote:

On Friday, 8 May 2020 11:19:03 UTC+12, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Interesting. Do you know if anybody sells these e-ink (either
monochrome or colour) for use with a RaspberryPi? THAT would be very
interesting indeed. I have a 4" diagonal TFT colour touch screen with
480 x 320 res that I'll put on a RPi when I get a round tuit. I'm
planning to run XK8000 on that, but a colour or monochrome eInk touch
screen would most likely be more readable in the cockpit.

Check this out:

https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/wiki/SkyView-Pi

It's not completely what you're after, but it's getting there.

Agreed! This one is even better:

https://www.waveshare.com/4.2inch-e-Paper-Module-B.htm

and this is better still, though not e-Ink:
https://www.waveshare.com/product/ra...-oled/4.3inch-
dsi-lcd.htm

It is dual colour (black/red on white) and the size is pretty much ideal.
Ideally I'l find a screen thats almost the same size ad thr Medion (3.5"
screen but wide bezel (4.4" x 3.2" - 80 x 105mm) Its mounted on a flexi
mount in front of my panel. Anything bigger than that and I start to
loose sight of my radio and backup vario behind it. I fly a Libelle, so
having stuff mounted where it sticks out past the panel edge is not an
option.

However, to control LK8000 (or XCSoar) I could really do with a touch
screen. So far, the best screen I've seen is this:

Pimoroni HyperPixel - 4.0"
https://thepihut.com/collections/ras...cts/hyperpixel

.... I got one to experiment just before they went out of stock in early
March and AFAIK haven't yet reappeared, but that may be COVID rather than
lack of interest in making any more.

BTW both XCSoar and LK8000 have been ported to the RaspberryPi, which is
why I keep banging on about that hardware, and Pimoroni do some very nice
addons, such as a PSU board that supplies 5v regulated from a 1S LiPo
battery and can charge it from an external 5v supply while also driving
the Pi.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old May 9th 20, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

If you want a 3.5” transflective screen, just get a Nano4 or a Colibri X.
Old May 9th 20, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Friday, 8 May 2020 16:21:41 UTC+3, Martin Gregorie wrote:
Still, AFAIK, based on WinCE which has been obsolete & unsupported by M$
for a long time now.

Oudie users do not care about the operating system, because it is hidden from the user. If it is obsolete and unsupported, so what? It works, day after day, year after year.
Old May 9th 20, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

https://americanart.si.edu/artwork/r...-cabinet-81179
Old May 9th 20, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

I understand the word and meaning of FREE
Free is great!
I need, want and will use more Free stuff!

But I gladly pay for my Seeyou software stuff

Seeyou desktop is NOT free but you only need to buy it once.

Seeyou mobile on a Oudie or gasp, Ipaq, or ?, only needs to be purchased once and they both work together easily.
Want to make your own task and make up turnpoints? No problem, a child can do it.
Forget to keep you Oudie charged all winter, No problem it retains all of its memory when you recharge it.
Want to print up your tasks you've made up? Its easy.
Want to analyze your and friends flights together? Easy.
The stuff works and I gladly support those guys.

So you tech types keep cobbling sh*t together and have fun on the ramp when it all goes dark, sounds like fun, I just don't know jack about tech.
I want something idiot proof.
Fly Safe in 2020
Nick
Old May 9th 20, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Friday, 8 May 2020 16:21:41 UTC+3, Martin Gregorie wrote:
Still, AFAIK, based on WinCE which has been obsolete & unsupported by M$
for a long time now.

Oudie users do not care about the operating system, because it is hidden from the user. If it is obsolete and unsupported, so what? It works, day after day, year after year.

And Seeyou and Seeyou Mobile continue to be developed and supported. The Oudie IGC has an all day battery, has a decent size for the cockpit highly visible screen, is approved as a logger to the highest level, is physically as well as electronically robust and communicates easily with Seeyou Cloud. I can see the appeal of cheaper but Oudie IGC is still the gold standard.

SYM is highly customisable for those who want to, or the easiest to keep up to date for those who prefer it easy.

LG-980 PDA/Phone for sale Don Grillo Soaring 0 January 23rd 15 11:51 PM
Who's on the phone? Mxsmanic Piloting 5 January 10th 10 08:38 PM
Enjoy High Quality incredible low cost PC-to-phone and broadband phone services John Home Built 0 May 19th 05 02:58 PM
Phone gun Paul Sengupta Piloting 12 February 14th 04 12:09 AM