L 33 Solo Gliders

Old May 20th 20, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobWa43

Default L 33 Solo Gliders

On Saturday, March 14, 2020 at 11:33:59 AM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
In the W&W Claasifieds there is a L33 Solo listed for 13K Canadian, that about 9400 USD.
I read Dick Johnsons flight report and he liked it, he was concerned that it had very little aerodynamic stall warning and would readily drop into a spin. He thought it best if low timers had real spin training before taking it out.
He also measured the performance at 31/1
For those who have owned these...
Are they easy or difficult to rig?
How have they held up?
Can you leave them tied out for the season? [ There all metal except for the rudder which is fabric]
Is the 31/ 1 LD sufficient for day in day out XC?
Are they nice to thermal?
Are they suitable for beginners with proper spin training?
Do you guys give them the overall thumbs up or thumbs down?
Thanks in advance!
Looking for a 1st ship for my 14 yr old son.

The L33 owned by the NSA that I flew out of AirSailing had only a CG hook. It was always interesting keeping it on the narrow paved runway with a strong left crosswind. Some of them had only the CG hook.
Old May 20th 20, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobWa43

[...]

As to your question about tying out, the Nevada Soaring Association has been tying it L33s out for the season for many years. It is not ideal for maintaining the glider in pris

American soldiers examine one of the gliders, now damaged, that dropped them behind German lines in Holland. - American soldiers examine one of the gliders.jpg Miloch Aviation Photos 0 August 7th 18 03:05 AM
First Solo! God Loves Jeff Piloting 3 April 6th 09 08:45 PM
L33 Solo Jeff Runciman Soaring 11 November 15th 05 04:56 PM
How NOT to solo... Greg Burkhart Piloting 3 December 16th 03 04:09 AM
Solo in a 2-32 M B Soaring 3 September 30th 03 03:11 AM