A Drone Killed Another Drone in the Sky for the First Time

Old September 21st 18, 03:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default A Drone Killed Another Drone in the Sky for the First Time

https://jalopnik.com/a-drone-killed-...t-t-1829206065

Late last year, but only revealed recently, there was a first that will likely
one day be considered historic: robotic air-to-air combat was born, with a U.S.
MQ-9 Reaper drone shooting down a smaller, target drone, all without humans
physically involved. It’s likely this is just the first example of
drone-on-drone violence in the skies.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...r-to-air-kill/

While the incident occurred in a controlled environment, there were no major
technical challenges associated with the dogfighting maneuver. According to a
Military.com interview with Col. Julian Cheater, commander of the 432nd Wing,
the test went down like this:

“Something that’s unclassified but not well known, we recently in November …
launched an air-to-air missile against a maneuvering target that scored a direct
hit. It was an MQ-9 versus a drone with a heat-seeking air-to-air missile, and
it was direct hit … during a test.”

This is the first time a drone has taken down a drone in the air, as far as we
know. Drones have been shot down by crewed aircraft before, and, technically,
since the MQ-9 is remotely piloted, it was a human that was in control of at
least one of the drones.

Fully autonomous dogfighting drones may become common in the future, but we’re
not there just yet.

Eventually, maybe we’ll be able to cut humans out of the loop altogether, and
the drones can just fight it out, conduct their own peace talks, establish their
own nations, and whatever while we humans hang out, snacking, drinking, and
playing video games or whatever.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...cial-says.html

*

Old September 21st 18, 01:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_9_]

Miloch wrote in
news
https://jalopnik.com/a-drone-killed-...sky-for-the-fi
rst-t-1829206065

Late last year, but only revealed recently, there was a first that
will likely one day be considered historic: robotic air-to-air combat
was born, with a U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drone shooting down a smaller,
target drone, all without humans physically involved. It’s likely this
is just the first example of drone-on-drone violence in the skies.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...374/reaper-dro
ne-first-unmanned-air-to-air-kill/

[...]

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...first-air-air-
kill-training-exercise-air-force-official-says.html

*

Police agencies in the EU have been using
trained eagles to capture smaller drones.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagle_drone 1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	107180  Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagle_drone 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	107181  Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagle_drone 3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	107182  Click image for larger version

Name:	Eagle_drone 4.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	107183