THEMI and WinPilot thermal centering reviews?

Old January 29th 05, 11:08 PM
Eric Greenwell

John Galloway wrote:
It seems odd to me that the THEMI has no Means of Propulsion
sensor.

That is unfortunate for me, since I could not use it for an IGC logger,
and it's only value would be as thermalling aid.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old January 30th 05, 11:17 AM
John Galloway

At 00:00 30 January 2005, Eric Greenwell wrote:
John Galloway wrote:
It seems odd to me that the THEMI has no Means of
Propulsion
sensor.

That is unfortunate for me, since I could not use it
for an IGC logger,
and it's only value would be as thermalling aid.

Eric Greenwell

Me too. Many motor/ turbo gliders will already have
hardware and functions similar to that in the THEMI
box already. The THEMI cost is quite high and the
extra value to MGs is just for the centering software.
You would think that other computer/GPS systems such
as LX7000, Borgelt B50/B2000/Volklogger, Cambridge
302 etc could include a thermal centering algorithm
and 2 LEDs as an option that would be less expensive
and also save extra installation and behind panel space
compared with the THEMI.

Having spent some time looking at the THEMI site the
use of the 2 LEDS seems quite simple and I wouldn't
mind trying one if it either gave me an extra noise-sensor-equippe
d IGC logger or cost a lot less.

John Galloway

Old February 2nd 05, 08:29 AM
bumper

I have WinPilot Pro *and* a Themi. I can find thermals even when there
aren't any!

Okay, maybe not, but I'll offer this:

Both work as advertised and usually, but not always, agree with each other.
When first encountering lift, the Themi gives useful centering info before
WinPilot.

The Themi also remembers where previous thermals are, and even appears to
compensate for thermal wind drift with altitude when calculating this. As
you are approaching a previously used thermal, even at a different altitude,
the Themi will direct you towards it with remarkable accuracy.

I find both easy to use and intuitive, but the nod goes to Themi for
requiring almost zero in-cockpit looking.

All that said, if I already had Winpilot Pro, purchasing a Themi wouldn't
make much sense (I had the Themi first).

bumper