Condor is exasperating

Old April 8th 20, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

Default Condor is exasperating

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 3:43:20 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
The two slashes bracketing Condor2 are opposites.Â* Is that correct or a
typo?

On 4/7/2020 2:48 PM, jp wrote:
On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 12:10:25 PM UTC-7, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 4:56:21 AM UTC+2, jp wrote:

I also just purchased an additional glider (ASK-21) and I have not received it, as far as I can figure out, and I have been unable to find any FAQ or other assistance for this.

I am done.
When you buy an additional glider, you need to download and install the Hangar Update from the Condor website. It's on this page

https://www.condorsoaring.com/downloads-2/

This is described in a paragraph on the "Buy" page of the site.

Yes, thank you Chris. I missed that on the "Buy" page. I have just increased the partition size of my BOOTCAMP partition and then downloaded the Hanger Update. After that I was able to select and then activate the ASK-21 glider I had purchased. Now if I just need to figure out why the landscape directory I copied to the C:\Condor2/Landscapes directory is not seen by Condor. I'll figure it out.

--
Dan, 5J

That wasn't a helpful reply to you Dan. Here is a little more of my limited knowledge:

As far as I know - which sure isn't far - Windows uses a back slash ("\") while OSX, Unix, Linux, and maybe other operating systems use a forward slash ("/"). Some web browsers and maybe some other software too will correct an incorrectly chosen slash.

I hope this is correct but I wouldn't bet on it.

Old April 11th 20, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Monday, April 6, 2020 at 10:56:21 PM UTC-4, jp wrote:

I am done.

You pretty much need to be a bit of a computer Geek to figure it all out. There is NO help for Condor. For example when my old computer quit and was not repairable by the local shop I bought another one with Win Vista on it. Condor refused to recognize my rudder pedals even though the system check showed them responding to movement normally! I searched for answers from many places but never found any help on this at all. I gave up and fly with autorudder on. Then I wanted to use the live feature for US nightly soaring. It took quite a while and several emails to get instructions on how to do this. Maybe there is something better on this today but several years ago it was like a secret. I finally got on it and it was fun. But I failed miserably at it so gave it up. Someone later told me that all the hot pilots were flying with "virtual water ballast" and that was their secret. I didn't even know that was possible.
Old April 14th 20, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The three most dangerous phrases in IT a

1. It SHOULD work.
2. THAT shouldn't happen (or its corollary: Never seen THAT before.)
3. Works on MY machine.

I've heard them all the past few weeks.

The Condor 2 experience is truly amazing, as close to flying gliders as I imagine I can get without a full simulator. I learned some things about my flying a year ago that helped me competitively when I first starting playing with it. And I've learned even more this spring.

BUT--Condor is maddeningly frustrating to learn. I'm not anything close to comfortable with it. The concept of an intuitive user interface clearly doesn't exist among the developers of Condor, Condor World, Condor Club, Condor Updater, TeamSpeak/Overwolf, or anything else related to Condor that I've seen.

I'm not technically hapless. I've been playing with PCs since the DOS command line days and worked in the IT world for 20 years. I think the Condor experience is great. But don't misunderstand: it's a CLUB, with special handshakes and rituals and secret information that's passed along to new initiates after they've proved themselves both motivated and worthy.

Seriously, Condor and all of the related applications and Web sites must be LEARNED. Fortunately there are Condor experts who are only too happy to help. So the best way to start out is to find one of those experts or even just someone reasonably tech savvy who's already graduated to the multi-player experience (all the rage now that we can't race each other in the air for a while). There are also a lot of online guides. Some are helpful, others less so. It's like anything else on the Internet; you'll have to wade through a bunch of stuff and glean what works--for your PC, flying hardware (joystick, etc.), and operating system--and what doesn't.

It's even possible (though not easy) to set up your handheld device to run your favorite glide computer software (TopHat, in my case). I've got mine working reliably now but the process I developed to establish the BlueTooth connection is not documented anywhere else, to my knowledge.

There are also a bunch of shortcut keys to learn: some are intuitive, others you just have to memorize. AFAIK, they're in the downloadable Condor user guide which is a "must have". Print them out or put them on a keyboard overlay.

Don't give up. And don't be too exasperated by Condor experts who are baffled by the problems you're having. They may not have seen them before. They're probably just Condor fans, not technically solid help desk pros who know how to diagnose your problems methodically and quickly. So sometimes they tell you to do what most of us are inclined to do anyway: just keep trying, sometimes trying the same thing over and over again hoping for different results. In my experience with Condor, sometimes that even works! And sometimes what's worked in the past doesn't work today. Just keep trying anyway. It IS worth it.

Chip Bearden
JB
Old April 15th 20, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

On Tuesday, April 14, 2020 at 12:42:10 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Thank you Chip. I spent 38 years in IT and I'm afraid I have little patience for computer things that are obscure.

I have enough things working in Condor now for it to be useful. The things that I cannot get to work and do not understand are not important enough to fret over.

My very limited experience with Condor leads me to conclude that it is better than nothing when I cannot actually fly. I think it can help me keep my flying perceptions toned up. I think it is a remarkable piece of work. I just wish it was a little friendlier to me. On the other hand, I'm not very friendly to it.
Old April 15th 20, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Behm

Shortcut key memorizing can be nicely avoided by purchase of a 19 button keypad, and 10 minutes with a label maker, plugged into your usb port.
They are $10 on amazon, and that's the best 10 bucks you'll ever spend.

Hope this helps at least one person.

Regards,
Chris
Old April 15th 20, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, April 14, 2020 at 11:16:01 PM UTC-4, Chris Behm wrote:
Shortcut key memorizing can be nicely avoided by purchase of a 19 button keypad, and 10 minutes with a label maker, plugged into your usb port.
They are $10 on amazon, and that's the best 10 bucks you'll ever spend.

Hope this helps at least one person.

Regards,
Chris

Yeah, but then I'd have to buy a USB hub (I'm maxed out with the joystick and wireless mouse transmitter now, and I'm already running my Dell Streak with Top Hat off a battery pack). Another $10 on Amazon. And I had to buy a glider for Condor because nothing in the standard pack was close to what I wanted, and that was another $12, IIRC.

This cheap flying alternative is starting to get expensive.

Chip Bearden
JB
Old April 16th 20, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Behm

Well, hopefully my suggestion will help someone besides Chip then.

Regards,
Chris
Old April 17th 20, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 5:13:28 PM UTC-6, Chris Behm wrote:
Well, hopefully my suggestion will help someone besides Chip then.

Regards,
Chris

Are there other VR goggles that are supported other than Oculus Rift and HTC Vive? There are quite a few others out there now, with better resolution.
Old April 17th 20, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

The Virtual Reality thread on the official software forum for Condor: https://www.condorsoaring.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=43 Why not ask there? Monitor it for progress?