Covid good for records

Old May 11th 20, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Covid good for records

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 8:36:36 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Folks, this pandemic issue has been terrible for the nation, the economy, and has shut down most all contests. But since record flying is the only show left in town, maybe we will see more folks pursuing state, regional (1-26ers) records and badges. The MN boys look to have gotten quite a few on their latest downwind dash. Hopefully others will give it a go this spring/summer.
Dan

I really want to eventually try for some state records after I start flying this summer. Will have to see though. First have to get comfortable with XC flying, LOL.
Old May 11th 20, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Mon, 11 May 2020 12:38:17 -0700, John Foster wrote:

I really want to eventually try for some state records after I start
flying this summer. Will have to see though. First have to get
comfortable with XC flying, LOL.

Unless there is forbidden airspace near your field it should be fairly
easy to set 3 or 4 turnpoint courses of around 50 km per circuit that
can be flown without getting out of gliding range of home. Use
recognisable TPs and put them on your nav system, and you'll learn a lot
about navigating to and round turnpoints. Its worth doing more than one
lap in decent conditions.

Then pick on one TP, say one closest to the prevailing wind direction and
start progressively moving it away to make the lap longer OR set yourself
triangles of around 100km using home as start/finish and with the other
TPs into the prevailing wind for the day.

My club has a set of predeclared triangles for use by beginning XC
pilots. The triangles are in groups with lengths of 100, 150 and 200km.
If your club doesn't have the equivalent and you've got some clubmates at
a similar stage of XC experience, you could amuse yourselves while
waiting for flying to restart by creating a similar set of tasks.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org