A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

DG303 elevator bolt retainer clip

Old May 15th 20, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default DG303 elevator bolt retainer clip

Previous owner? You didn't rig before buying?
Old May 15th 20, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

There’s a special tool that holds the spring clip out as you tighten the bolt. A socket wrench should do the same thing, anything that holds the clip away from the bolt will work. Look in the trailer, believe it is a 4 in one tool that looks like an +................long time since I owned a 300!
JJ
Old May 15th 20, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I’ve got the tool.
It does not appear the clip is in the correct position however, after the bolt is screwed in. It does not align with the groove in the bolt head nor Is it preventing It from backing out. The original post has a link to photos with my retainer clip’s position.
Old May 15th 20, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason
external usenet poster

On Thursday, 14 May 2020 18:01:13 UTC-6, wrote:
I’ve got the tool.
It does not appear the clip is in the correct position however, after the bolt is screwed in. It does not align with the groove in the bolt head nor Is it preventing It from backing out. The original post has a link to photos with my retainer clip’s position.

Jason, been 10 years since I had a 303 but I believe that spring clip should lift up and swivel to fit in the groove

Ron Gleason
Old May 15th 20, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Not unusual for the clip to get bent way out of alignment, I used needle-nose pliers to put the clip in the groove, after securely tightening the bolt.
JJ
Old May 15th 20, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Suter
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 5:51:36 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Not unusual for the clip to get bent way out of alignment, I used needle-nose pliers to put the clip in the groove, after securely tightening the bolt.
JJ

On my DG-300 the wire slides in and out along an axis that's parallel to the slot in the bolt. Your pictures suggest yours has been bent about 90 degrees to that axis, in the horizontal plane, just where it comes out of your horizontal stabilizer. Suggest following JJ's needle-nose suggestion.
Larry
Old May 15th 20, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NMD
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 10:10:04 PM UTC-6, Larry Suter wrote:
On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 5:51:36 PM UTC-7, wrote:
JJ

On my DG-300 the wire slides in and out along an axis that's parallel to the slot in the bolt. Your pictures suggest yours has been bent about 90 degrees to that axis, in the horizontal plane, just where it comes out of your horizontal stabilizer. Suggest following JJ's needle-nose suggestion.
Larry

Thanks very much! This makes sense now. I wanted to confirm alignment before I started bending the wire around.