emailing your log file from an iPhone

Old September 4th 16, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default emailing your log file from an iPhone

These days we're asked to email our log files to
the (often remote) scorer, and PC's are, well, so passe.
It's a drag running around trying to find somebody with a
PC to email the file. And we definitely to NOT want
to delay the scoring.

Some flight computers can send the log file directly from the
plane. Heck, I prototyped this decades back using a PalmV with
cell-modem, and people said "That's silly, you're wasting your
time, why would anybody want that?". Cell coverage and speeds
were really bad back then anyway.

What about using a smart phone to email the log?
Android users have a few options; Android can read a USB stick.
But what about us iPhone users?
"Can't be done!" I'm told by pundits, "Get an Android!".
But really, at least until January, we get to chose our religion
here in USA. But I digress again.

For iPhone, I found a device with an iStore app, that has
a Lightning connector on one end (recent iPhones) and a USB-A
connector on the other end (like a normal USB memory stick).
Works like a charm: normal USB side works with PowerFLARM
(which I use as my primary logger) and also with ILEC SN10.
https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Lightn.../dp/B019W8N4DU
After copying the log from your logger onto the stick, plug
the stick into the iPhone, run the special app, then select
and email the file from the external storage. QT will be happy.
So you will be happy.

Some notes:

- Always exit app prior unplugging stick from iPhone.
Otherwise you get to reboot your iPhone prior using the app again.

- Must be formatted FAT32 (as it is shipped)

- Do NOT try "iDrive from Omar's" - does not work!!!

PS: For Nerds: Unlike Linux, where I can just write a script to deal
with a newly-mounted USB device, I'm told iOS needs a registered app
matching the USB deviceID. When iOS reads an unregistered USB stick
(using a lightning-to-USB cable), it pops an "import" app, which
doesn't seem to do anything with unknown filetypes like IGC, or
do anything useful with external files that I could find...
A detailed explanation from an iOS nerd would be great.
No, don't want to jailbreak...

Old September 4th 16, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 6:02:04 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Would one of these wifi usb sticks work for your needs.
https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-...wireless-stick

Possibly, but does have to be kept charged, and requires turning on
WiFi on phone. Let us know if anybody tries one of these!
Old September 4th 16, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Benedict Smith

At 23:37 03 September 2016, Dave Nadler wrote:

What about using a smart phone to email the log?
Android users have a few options; Android can read a USB stick.
But what about us iPhone users?
"Can't be done!" I'm told by pundits, "Get an Android!".
But really, at least until January, we get to chose our religion
here in USA. But I digress again.

Dave,
what about using a USB SD card reader plugged into your logger / flarm,
then use one of the Wi-Fi enabled SD cards, most of the memory suppliers
offer these now and some even have iOS apps that let you email files
straight
from the card without having to copy them to your phone first, looking at
an
on-line review they start at as little as $30 US, unfortunately no one
seems to
do a micro SD yet, they are all full size hence the need for a USB
adapter.
You would only need the lowest capacity available as log files are tiny
compared to photos etc.
Ben.

Old September 4th 16, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The wifi ones work also, even for uploading files to OLC (but not with the standard Safari browser).
Old September 4th 16, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

Dave, any issues with the HooToo being 3.0? Per PF, they are using 2.0 (below).

Core has a built-in USB A 2.0 connector for a memory stick. The stick is used for device updates and readout of device information and flight records. See the section ‘Device update’, ‘Flight recorder’ and ‘Feature licenses’ for details. Maximum size is limited by FAT system (32GB).
Old September 4th 16, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 11:24:38 AM UTC-4, Craig Reinholt wrote:
Dave, any issues with the HooToo being 3.0? Per PF, they are using 2.0 (below).

3.0 devices are *supposed* to be backwards compatible.
Some 3.0 devices are advertised as compatible with 1.1 and 2.0m,
but don't actually work (like the one I said avoid above).

Maximum size is limited by FAT system (32GB).

As long as the device can be formatted FAT32 you're all set.

HooToo works great with both ILEC SN10 USB and PowerFLARM core USB.

Old September 4th 16, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 11:22:57 AM UTC-4, wrote:
The wifi ones work also, even for uploading files to OLC
(but not with the standard Safari browser).

Can you confirm a particular model that works with PowerFLARM core
and ILEC SN10? Lots of stuff *should* work, but doesn't...

Thanks!
Best Regards, Dave

PS: I recently had to send back a Sandisk USB stick because it
had wildly less than advertised capacity (and unlike their tech
'support' Indians, I do know how to compute powers of 2 ;-)
Lots of returns of that part also for over-heating!
Old September 4th 16, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 11:15:06 AM UTC-4, Benedict Smith wrote:
Dave,
what about using a USB SD card reader plugged into your logger / flarm,
then use one of the Wi-Fi enabled SD cards, most of the memory suppliers
offer these now and some even have iOS apps that let you email files
straight
from the card without having to copy them to your phone first, looking at
an
on-line review they start at as little as $30 US, unfortunately no one
seems to
do a micro SD yet, they are all full size hence the need for a USB
adapter.
You would only need the lowest capacity available as log files are tiny
compared to photos etc.
Ben.

Can you confirm a specific model that works with PowerFLARM core
and ILEC SN10? Or is this RAS (random aviation speculation)?
Again, lots of things *should* work, but...

Thanks!
Best Regards, Dave