We Lost One of the Good Guys

Old February 3rd 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default We Lost One of the Good Guys

Yesterday afternoon Blane Anderson, a local Iowa City pilot, died
ferrying a homebuilt back to Iowa City for an owner. A passenger also
died in the crash, although we have no further information about this
person.

Blane was one of the truly good guys. In his late 30s, Blane was a
youthful, positive and upbeat influence at the airport, and on
everyone around him. He was a pilot's pilot -- a CFII, charter, and
homebuilder who flew everything, and with everyone he could. His
love of aviation was contagious, and he introduced many people to
aviation over the years.

He was also my son's old guitar teacher.

No one knows what happened, but from the pictures of the wreckage it
was not a survivable impact. The weather was not a factor -- it was
cold but clear all day long. Knowing Blane's level of skill and
proficiency, I'm putting money on a mechanical failure of some sort --
but we may never know.

Be careful out there, everyone.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 3rd 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GrtArtiste

On Feb 3, 9:49 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
Yesterday afternoon Blane Anderson, a local Iowa City pilot, died
ferrying a homebuilt back to Iowa City for an owner. A passenger also
died in the crash, although we have no further information about this
person.

http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pb...702030323/1079

GrtArtiste

Old February 3rd 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay, did you happen to know the aircraft type?

Mike Wilson

Old February 3rd 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On 3 Feb 2007 06:49:21 -0800, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Yesterday afternoon Blane Anderson, a local Iowa City pilot, died
ferrying a homebuilt back to Iowa City for an owner.

Sorry for your loss.

Old February 3rd 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

That's a real shame.

Peter

Old February 3rd 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cecil Chapman

My deepest condolences on the loss of your friend.... He taught guitar,
too; sounds like he was a well-rounded guy. Not that one would wish ill of
anyone, but it has always amazed me that the nicest people seem to always be
the one's we lose, instead of the not-so-nice individuals.

Take care and you fly safe too!

--
=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman
CFI-A, CP-ASEL-IA

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old February 3rd 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Jay, did you happen to know the aircraft type?

Latest word is they were ferrying a homebuilt amphibious plane back
from Washington State. There can't be too many of those.

They almost made it home.

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 3rd 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

My deepest condolences on the loss of your friend.... He taught guitar,
too; sounds like he was a well-rounded guy. Not that one would wish ill of
anyone, but it has always amazed me that the nicest people seem to always be
the one's we lose, instead of the not-so-nice individuals.

We were talking about that today. For some reason, the horse's you-
know-whats never seem to come to an untimely end.

Blane leaves behind a wife and two little kids. I'm sure they are
going to be hurting for a long, long time.

My daughter, of course, is freaked out by this. It's hard for her not
to project hereself into their shoes, of course. We're all dreading
the funeral...

And we STILL don't know who the passenger was. Everyone is calling
everyone, making sure that their friends are still alive and kicking.

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 3rd 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I Did not know him but I will tip a cold one for him tonight!