....what about older 121.5 ELT's

Old April 29th 12, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ....what about older 121.5 ELT's

On Saturday, April 28, 2012 9:18:23 AM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
On Friday, April 27, 2012 9:41:42 PM UTC-5, hretting wrote:
Lots of good information, ideas, and my exisiting ELT does have an
activation switch on the panel. I will make upgrading to the 406 with
a panel activation switch a priority and the PLB mentioned above has
my interest. My wife is totally not interested in knowing where I am,
only that my life insurance is sufficent. Can't blame her really.
Still on the fence pondering SPOT.

Aside from spousal tracking, SPOT is valuable if you fly XC in areas where you might landout and there may not be any cell phone coverage. With just the basic service, you can send an "I'm OK" or a "I landed out, please come get me, I'm at this location (shown on google maps)". Or "HELP, I'm hurt, send the cavalry!" So think of it as a manually activated ELT with additional functions. Not bad for $150.

And you can use it when hiking, boating, etc., since it's not attached to your glider.

IMO, probably the most valuable bit of equipment in your survival kit.

Kirk
66

Kirk,

Just a small correction: The 'OK' function is used for "I'm OK - Still Flying" by those who are too cheap to pay for tracking. The 'HELP' function is typically used for the "NOT hurt, but landed out - please bring the trailer" message. If you ARE hurt in any significant way, it is MUCH better to activate the '911' function, which will result in IMMEDIATE (assuming no or negative response at the listed emergency contact number) dispatch of the nearest 911 response team. Typical emergency response times to '911' activation are typically in the 1-2 hour range, even in very remote areas.

IMHO, you are *way* better off with a SPOT tracker (with basic + tracking service) than with anything else. Even 406MHz ELT/PLB activation has to work its way up through the Air Force hierarchy and then back down again to the local authorities. With SPOT, it goes directly to GEOS (a commercial emergency-response outfit) and they direct the local response.

Full disclosu I am part-owner of Hawke Tracking, and we sell SPOT tracker mapping services to contests and other activities for ridiculously low prices. At the current revenue levels, I'm on track for getting my new Antares 20E --- tail wheel -- in another couple of years ;-).

Frank (TA)
Old April 29th 12, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

I recently reviewed my Discus 2A ELT installation. The Ack Technology E-01 121.5 mounted internally had a badly cracked battery box (eight D batteries), so I removed it. Fortunately, you can replace the the battery box for $32... which I did, then re-installed the ELT.

Agree with Daryl Ramm's comments. Since I always fly with a SPOT, the older 121.5 ELT crash activated (...although I wouldn't count on it...) is my solution for now. If it wasn't for the $600 to upgrade to the E-04 406Mhz unit, I would have probably done that. Problem is, there is really no GOOD place to put a 406Mhz antenna anywhere (or 121.5Mhz for that matter). Currently, my 121.5Mhz antenna is a "rubber ducky" mounted horizontally below my right shoulder along the base of the canopy frame. I know this isn't very good... but it's probably better than nothing.

After talking with ACK Technologies tech support engineers it was mentioned that you can "...get away with..." a short dipole in the cockpit. They cannot certify it for the FCC or FAA use (It will probably fail the test because of a too high SWR ratio). However, it was mentioned that the signal will likely get out to the SARSAT satellite. For example, one of their E-04 units got activated during a test WITHOUT AN ANTENNA CONNECTED to the BNC connector. Nonetheless, the signal got to the satellite and they received a call from SARSAT. There is a way of testing your 406 ELT system. For $60/yr , you can subscribe to www.406link.com and receive an email/text message if the message is received by SARSAT. So, in summary... the 406 installed ELT is attractive and it can be fully tested.

One note about my SPOT. I used to fly with it on my shoulder harness at the shoulder at a 45deg angle. In that location, I lost maybe 30 per cent of the messages going out in tracking mode. Only when I relocated it to a horizontally on the panel cover forward, did the drop out rate lower to 3-5 per cent.

Walt Rogers, WX

Old May 1st 12, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Todd

I fly (and hike) with a McMurdo FastFind PLB. Small and cheaper than
the ACR, but any good PLB is better than none should you bail out and
end up on the other side of the mountain range from your glider! My
PLB is attached in a "safe" location on my chute (i.e. not over any
risers)

My glider has a 121.5 ELT too.

And lastly, as an amateur radio operator, I have an APRS radio
( http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&ts=... =a%2FN8RNW-6
) that automatically transmits my position every few minutes or so
(position, speed and altitude) so my crew can follow my progress.
(Click on the little red dots for track info) Coverage in the areas I
have flown seems very good (especially at altitude) See http://www.byonics.com/mt-rtg
for a radio option.

If a bad event happens, one or all 3 of these should help speed my
rescue.

ELT's Dick[_3_] Soaring 16 August 29th 11 01:53 PM
ELT's [email protected] Soaring 0 March 16th 05 07:27 PM
ELT's Brad Soaring 3 January 20th 05 06:12 AM
New 406 MHz ELT's Brian GJ Soaring 0 July 5th 04 06:52 PM
ELT's, On Star, etc Tim Shea Soaring 3 November 19th 03 08:13 PM