a major marital breakthrough

Old November 20th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kevin Clarke

Default a major marital breakthrough

So after being licensed for 2 years now, I finally got my wife to go up
with me. I picked a mostly windless (6kts), flat grey day. No
convection, no bumps.

We departed downwind from 32 KFIT to go look at our roof. The usual
scenic first flight thing to do. At about 2300 feet she panicked (or
nearly so) and made me go back. No problem. We didn't get to take a lap
around the mountain (Mt. Wachusett in Central Mass). The little wiggles
you always get in the air proved to be too much.

An uneventful 45 entry to the pattern, back to the airport and the best
landing I've done in months. Extra extra extra careful on flare.

So 24 minutes engine time. Still a resounding success! Just getting her
to get in the plane was a major accomplishment. And hell, any day you
get to fly, even for 20 minutes or so, is still a great day! :^)

KC
Old November 20th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

So after being licensed for 2 years now, I finally got my wife to go up with me...

Congratulations! It will probably get easier. One thing (you probably
already know this), don't do any maneuvering with newbies.

Now that the ground is broken, it may get easier.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old November 20th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kevin Clarke

Jose wrote:
So after being licensed for 2 years now, I finally got my wife to go
up with me...

Congratulations! It will probably get easier. One thing (you probably
already know this), don't do any maneuvering with newbies.

I was 1/2 standard rate with all my turns. Very very gentle. Not that it
helped much. No Immelmann's this time! :^)

Now that the ground is broken, it may get easier.

I hope so.
KC

Jose

Old November 20th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

So 24 minutes engine time. Still a resounding success! Just getting her
to get in the plane was a major accomplishment. And hell, any day you
get to fly, even for 20 minutes or so, is still a great day! :^)

Way to go, Kevin. I know it's been a tough row to hoe with her.

Who know? In three years, she may be getting her ticket!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 20th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kevin Clarke

Jay Honeck wrote:
So 24 minutes engine time. Still a resounding success! Just getting her
to get in the plane was a major accomplishment. And hell, any day you
get to fly, even for 20 minutes or so, is still a great day! :^)

Way to go, Kevin. I know it's been a tough row to hoe with her.

thanks Jay.

It was my anniversary present. 18 yrs now. She gets off cheap. Merely 24
minutes of stark terror. :^)

Who know? In three years, she may be getting her ticket!

Yeah right. I *doubt* that very very much. This is a woman who drove to
California from Mass to get to Hawaii. Because she didn't want to fly
that far! (true story)

KC
Old November 20th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

When my wife first started flying with me (before kids), she would take
1/2 of a Dramamine tab. It made her so drowsie she decided she would
risk airsickness rather than the side effects of the drugs. She only
used one tablet out of the package. That was 20 years ago. Now, she
suggests that we fly places.
Old November 20th 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

"Kevin Clarke" wrote in message
k.net...

We departed downwind from 32 KFIT to go look at our roof.

Kevin, whose plane are you flying? I flew a little with Fitchburg Colonial
about ten years ago. The shop I worked for had a warehouse directly across
the street from the airport.

Old November 20th 06, 11:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

If she agrees to go again, skip the circle around the house... You will
think it is wonderful, she will be terrified... Straight and level
only...

denny

Old November 20th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kevin Clarke

Steve Foley wrote:
"Kevin Clarke" wrote in message
k.net...

We departed downwind from 32 KFIT to go look at our roof.

Kevin, whose plane are you flying? I flew a little with Fitchburg Colonial
about ten years ago. The shop I worked for had a warehouse directly across
the street from the airport.

I did my flight training there, I'm still doing my IFR there as well. I
have a share of a Piper Cherokee 180 that I fly.

KC

Old November 20th 06, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kevin Clarke

Denny wrote:
If she agrees to go again, skip the circle around the house... You will
think it is wonderful, she will be terrified... Straight and level
only...

We never got to the house. We were straight and level only.

KC