Cost of ownership question

Old December 31st 04, 05:02 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Ben Jackson wrote:

In article ,
G.R. Patterson III wrote:

In ten years the new paintjob you'll need will be half that.

Get real. A complete recover job on my Maule is less than that -- at Maule.

In... ten... years...

Yes, Madame Ruth.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 31st 04, 07:18 PM

Stealth Pilot wrote:

what you guys have proven to me is that our little airfield 50km

south
of Perth in Western Australia is even more special than I had
believed.

It is special indeed. Believe me, if I could hangar at a reasonable
cost, it would certainly be one of the 1st items of business after
buying a plane. Consider yourself a lucky man.
John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old January 2nd 05, 03:26 AM
Stealth Pilot

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:48:38 -0800, "Slip'er"
wrote:

I'll leave you guys to slash wrists, bay at the moon in frustration,
and I'll just go back to my little piece of heaven.

I wouldn't mind a little piece of your heaven. Oh wait, I would be an
"illegal alien" there and Australia is a lot smarter than the US on that
issue...you'd throw me out.

if you promise to bring your Pitts, the Learjet and that C5a gallaxy
you nicked from the marines, and you let us fly them, I'm sure we'll
hide you in various hangars untill the feds forget about you :-)

Stealth Pilot
Old January 2nd 05, 06:10 AM
Slip'er

if you promise to bring your Pitts, the Learjet and that C5a gallaxy
you nicked from the marines, and you let us fly them, I'm sure we'll
hide you in various hangars untill the feds forget about you :-)

Can't get the learjet for you BUT, I have my guys putting the Pitts, Aprilia
Falco, and my pickup inside the C5a Galaxy as we speak. My guys tell me
that there is room for plenty more contraband Any special requests?
Otherwise I'm filling every nook and cranny with beer and wine.

Old January 2nd 05, 06:11 AM
Slip'er

You succeeded in getting me looking at Maule's. A 160 or 180 might be the
best compromise for me although I will surely miss having a stick.

Slip'er

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
om...
I chose a tail dragging Maule:
- choosing a 4 seater over a 2 seater was the best decision. 95% of the
time, it is 2 of us flying for a 1 to 5 day trip of aprox 250miles
roundtrip. A 2 placer is good for 1 person traveling. 2 people require
a 4 placer.
- Simple has paid off in reasonably predictable and moderate
maintenance; no CS prop, 180 4 cyl, relatively new
- Hangaring; I would not be willing to own something that sat out. Not
after being in a hangar.
- I love the tailwheel - keeps it interesting and different. Makes me
feel good. No practical value whatsoever.
- Wish it was faster. But having flown only 60 hours this year vs 125
to 150 the past 5 - I appreciate the simplicity and low maintenance.

I'd suggest some more exploring of clubs or partnerships

Slip'er wrote:
All great feedback so far. Keep it coming. I have made a few posts

about
my efforts to select a plane. I am definitely caught in analysis

paralysis.
I am also caught up with fear of selling my stock when it is doing so

well.
I sold 500 shares to buy Christmas presents, two weeks after I sold them
those 500 shares were worth an additional $3500. I know this matters

little
in the big scheme, you can't time the market...etc. But I'm still

planning
to hold out until the fall and review my plans. Back to the plane.

I have only flown Citabrias and Decathalons with a little bit of Piper
PA-140 / PA-180 and a PT-23. I love the Citabria/Decathalon but am luke
warm at best about the Archer/172/etc. This bird will be parked

outside,
most likely.

I started my quest thinking that a Champ or a Luscombe would fit the

bill
for a first plane. But I get caught up in the "a 7ECA isn't that much

more
and I get aerobatics and a bigger engine" which is true but, " a 150hp
Citabria isn't much more and I love the extra power" and "wow there are

few nice examples of 8KCABs out there with a CS prop which is nice for
aerobatics and cruise, AND they don't cost much more..." So this is my

main
dilema aside from purchase price, what is the difference in relative
maintenance from each of this family when comparing models of similar
condition. They typically don't have a lot of "extras" which is fine

for
me. I am VFR only and don't plan to get instrument rated. (although I

have
done and will continue to do a bit of training in my friends plane for a
margin of safety should I need it someday) If I buy into this group I'd
really like to get the metal spar and heavy lift struts.

Then more skitzophrenai...Should I really hold fast to taildraggers and
stick? Yes! I dream about bush flying all of the time and with my own
plane, 3-4 day weekend trips will actually be possible. (ever try to

rent a
Citabria for a 3 day weekend? Good luck!) Wait, if I go for a faster
plane, I have access to more places. If I had say a Long-Eze or other
slippery plane in my price range I could really explore America.

Wait, I have kids. How often will I be able to realistically take off

for
3-4 day trips. That probably isn't a good selection criteria. Best to
stick with day trips, again though speed is distance. Hmm, I love the
tandem seating but, my kids would really like to be up front and that

would
be nice for them to learn more and enjoy each others company.

OMG, Look at that Great Lakes! No, wait, later! Wait until the kids

are in
College. That cannot be a good idea right now.

So, I really think I'll be looking at a Citabria type aircraft. It

seems
to be where my "comfort" zone is, probably because I soloed in a 7ECA

and
most of my time is in Citabrias. The question is, should I buy the

absolute
minimum aircraft that meets my "needs" or buy what I can afford for

maximum
fun? One thing is true with Motorcycles, Cars, Boats, and

Airplanes....you
can never have too much horse power.

Part of me says buy the minimum plane ie 7ECA for two reasons. Put the
minimum money at risk and use this first purchase as a learning

experience.
This will increase reserves in case I really screw up and said reserves

can
also hide some of the real expense from my wife who supports me in this

but
is also an accountant...and I hear about my excessive hobbies. But if

say a
150 HP Citabria is about the same to maintain...why not spend a little

extra
money?

When I really think about it, this wouldn't be such a difficult decision

if
I were single. The real pain I feel is that buying a plane feels so
selfish! This is a huge, expensive hobby for ME. Yes, my kids will

enjoy
it but I doubt my wife will fly with me until the kids are out of the

house.
My kids have flown with me and enjoy it but truth be told...they'd

rather
have a boat (my wife would too). Which clearly means...this is for me.

But
darn it, I have wanted this all of my life. They just "want" a boat

because
I brought it up one day when I took them sailing on a friends 28 ft
sailboat.

Time for my medication...

Old January 2nd 05, 04:54 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Slip'er wrote:

Otherwise I'm filling every nook and cranny with beer and wine.

You're taking *American* beer and wine to *Australia*???? Talk about coals to
Newcastle!

Old January 2nd 05, 04:55 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Slip'er wrote:

You succeeded in getting me looking at Maule's. A 160 or 180 might be the
best compromise for me although I will surely miss having a stick.

My 160 is for sale if you get a little futher than just looking.

Old January 3rd 05, 01:35 AM
Slip'er

I don't want to bother you just tire kicking but contact me off line and let
me know the particulars or a link if you have anything posted on the web.

carl dot hixon at cox dot net