Busy airports and small GA

Old July 22nd 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague

Default Busy airports and small GA

I flew a C-150 once into Lambert (St. Louis International). VFR, the
ink on my Private barely dry, no trouble with ATC. Ground control
asked me what was my destination on the airport and I said, "As close
as possible to TWA departure" (I was dropping off a friend). They
directed me, my friend got out, and I flew back out again. No hassle,
and no fees. 'Course that was 30 years ago...

-Dana

If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler.-- Albert Einstein
Old July 22nd 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

You didn't answer the question. Pretty sad, seeing as it was the question
that you posed.

I don't have to ask questions to which I have answers.
Old July 22nd 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Buster Hymen

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Steve Foley writes:

You didn't answer the question. Pretty sad, seeing as it was the
question that you posed.

I don't have to ask questions to which I have answers.

You aren't intelligent enough to know what answers you have.

Old July 22nd 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 21, 11:51 pm, Buster Hymen wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote :

Steve Foley writes:

You didn't answer the question. Pretty sad, seeing as it was the
question that you posed.

I don't have to ask questions to which I have answers.

You aren't intelligent enough to know what answers you have.

Anthony: "I google, therefore I am"
Old July 22nd 08, 11:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Steve Foley writes:

You didn't answer the question. Pretty sad, seeing as it was the question
that you posed.

I don't have to ask questions to which I have answers.

So why answer them incorrectly?

Old July 22nd 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Jul 20, 5:01*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Mike writes:
You'll typically have more problems with the airport itself rather than from
ATC. *Some large airports charge hefty landing and ramp fees, so you may
wind up with a $150 or so charge you hadn't expected. *This is how they
discourage the little guys from landing.

How do they organize the payment? *Are they waiting for you on the ramp, or do
you have to go to an office or something to pay up? *Do you pay on arrival or
before you leave again? *How do you find out the charges in advance? *(I don't
recall seeing them in the directory or even on Airnav.)

A lot of times they only charge you if you use the FBO, which is
everytime unless you're just doing a touch and go. Sometimes they
waive the fee if you buy a ton of gas (like literally a ton),
sometimes they only charge a fee if the aircraft is certified to weigh
anymore than a certain amount. It all really depends. In my
experience, the fee is very informal, and if you REALLY wanted to get
out of paying, you could probably just take off and I don't think much
would happen. Sometimes my company flies to large airports which have
landing fees, but we only ever go to the cargo apron and drop off, so
we never visit a FBO, and therefore never pay anything. I know for a
fact we flew into Toronto a few months ago, dropped off at some cargo
hangar, filed our flight plan back to KYIP, then took right back off.
Later I looked it up, and there is indeed a landing fee there that we
most certainly did not pay. All though they may have called one of our
dispatchers to collect the fee...
Old July 22nd 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JB

On Jul 22, 9:12*am, buttman wrote:
I know for a
fact we flew into Toronto a few months ago, dropped off at some cargo
hangar, filed our flight plan back to KYIP, then took right back off.
Later I looked it up, and there is indeed a landing fee there that we
most certainly did not pay. All though they may have called one of our
dispatchers to collect the fee...

Don't declare victory just yet. I fly to Toronto a few times/year to
visit family. They will send you an ATC user fee bill in the
mail....based on aircraft weight. They will track you by your tail
number and registration info.

--Jeff

Old July 22nd 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xyzzy

On Jul 20, 12:28*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
What is the largest/busiest airport you've flown into or out of in a small GA
aircraft as a private pilot, and was it IFR or VFR? *What was the attitude of
the ATC in the area towards pilots like yourself moving about in an area
normally dominated by airliners and commercial flights?

Dulles, VFR in a Warrior.

They vectored me all over the place to keep me out of the way of the
airliners and IFR traffic (it was CAVU day), I was definitely their
lowest priority and for about 1/2 hour I got a tour of the ADIZ while
they kept pushing me out of the way. Then let me land on 19L (with a
13 mile final during a break in airliner traffic and asked if I
could make the first high-speed turnoff (ummm, yes).

Their attitude was fine, but they clearly were rusty on dealing with
VFR traffic

Heck they were rusty on dealing with spam can traffic, period. When
we departed, clearance delivery told us to maintain 4000 or lower.
When we contacted departure they were annoyed at that clearance and
told us to stay at 2000 or below. But then we were cleared to 4000
before we'd even climbed past 1500. Clearly they were used to dealing
with much faster climbing planes than Warriors near gross on a hot
day.

It was a flying club trip and four Warriors went. I was VFR, the
others were IFR. I took off for Dulles first, and was the last one to
land.
Old July 22nd 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf[_2_]

Default OT: xyzzy

Just curious ... How many of you know the origin of xyzzy, without cheating
and looking it up?