Some good news to my old friends here at rec.aviation

Old February 23rd 10, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default Some good news to my old friends here at rec.aviation

"Robert Moore" wrote

Well...let's see how many people jump in here to tell Mxsmanic that since
he doesn't own a motel, he is not qualified to ask this question.

My only comment would be on how he can miss analyzing a simple e-mail, so
completely. Nowhere was there an implication that they would be selling one
motel.

Not surprising, now that I think of it. What does he not mess up?
--
Jim in NC

Old February 23rd 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Monk

On Feb 20, 8:37*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
I'm not sure if there are any folks left here from "the Golden Age of
Rec.Aviation", but -- just in case -- I would like to share some great news
with y'all.

For those who don't know, back in 2002 members of this group were
instrumental with helping Mary and me decide to make the leap into an
unknown realm by endeavoring to create an aviation-themed hotel in Iowa
City, Iowa called "The Alexis Park Inn & Suites".

At the time it was a run-down old residence hotel, and we were just a couple
of pilots who wanted to somehow break into the "aviation world" without
actually BEING in the aviation world. *We didn't have a clue what we were
doing, so -- virtually every step of the way -- I bounced ideas and
questions off of the members of these groups, and was always rewarded with
sage advice and remarkable contributions of ALL kinds.

Those contributions weren't limited to well-wishes, but consisted of some
remarkable donations of artwork and memorabilia that have helped to make our
aviation theme suites unique and very popular. *Quite frankly, we could not
have created the Alexis without help from those who once populated these
groups, which has made the demise of rec.aviation doubly hard to watch. *But
I digress...

The good news? *Mary and I have just closed a deal on a motel located on
Mustang Island, Texas, in the town of Port Aransas! *This area is commonly
known as "the Texas Riviera", with miles of white-sand beaches and lovely
flying weather year-round. *The island has a terrific little airport
(KRAS -- Mustang Beach Airport) within a mile of the new motel, which is
currently called "Harbor Inn". * We take possession on 4/19/10, and you are
ALL invited to the grand opening!

But don't expect to see the aviation theme right away. *We will be taking
over at the start of the high season, so we don't think we'll have time to
start the conversion until Fall of '10. *By Spring '11, however, we expect
to have the conversion complete, and the property will re-emerge as
"Amelia's Landing", with 22 rooms that are themed to place an emphasis on
float planes and flying boats, in deference to the maritime traditions of
the island.

We will, of course, continue to provide the unique amenities that have made
us successful -- many of which were first suggested by members of this
group. *Our signature service is a DELIVERED breakfast, and that will
continue at the Harbor Inn. *And, of course, our courtesy vehicle will be
parked at the airport with the keys under the mat for you to use during your
visit to the island, just like we do here in Iowa City.

We even plan to host a "Pre-Oshkosh Fly-In Pool Party" on Mustang Island,
too -- although I don't think we'll be leading the flight into Oshkosh from
there! * But we might aim at Sun N Fun? * Who knows -- the sky truly is the
limit, and we're only at the beginning of the planning stages. *But, wow,
are we excited to have another "blank slate" upon which to write!

Once again, I can't express my gratitude enough to the old rec.aviation
"regulars" who helped to forge our success. *I can only hope that eventually
this group will shrug off the trolls who have destroyed what was once a
tight-knit group of like-minded pilots, united in their dedication to
aviation, and that our two aviation destination hotels will serve as a
beacon to remind those who come here of what was once possible when everyone
was actually focused on aviation.

Blue skies and tailwinds, all!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

I rarely check in here anymore, but I'm glad I did.

A big congratulations Jay!
Old February 23rd 10, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
gpsman

On Feb 22, 8:46*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"Robert Moore" wrote

Well...let's see how many people jump in here to tell Mxsmanic that since
he doesn't own a motel, he is not qualified to ask this question. *

My only comment would be on how he can miss analyzing a simple e-mail, so
completely.

You don't say.

Nowhere was there an implication that they would be selling one
motel.

Where, exactly, do you see that implied?

qOn Feb 22, 5:26 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Does this mean that your hotel in Iowa is closing, or are you going to
be
operating two separate hotels, one in Iowa and one in Texas?/q

I'm just as interested. Either way, somebody has some kickass
business sense of which I am in awe, especially in this economic/
lending climate.

Not surprising, now that I think of it.

You sure that was thinking...?

I can see how he can get under the skin in his quest to have the
gnat's ass of everything there is to know about flying spoon-fed to
him, my issue is solely within the irony of your post.
-----

- gpsman
Old February 23rd 10, 08:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jeff

Hey Jay
cannot believe you are still on here, I was just dropping by, been off
the group for a long time. I see you still have your pathfinder.
Anyways, congrats on your new place.

Jeff
Turbo Arrow III

Old February 23rd 10, 11:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

gpsman, try to keep up with who said what, when. Without going into
details, you are not even close.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 23rd 10, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
XXXXX

On Feb 22, 8:46*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"Robert Moore" wrote

Well...let's see how many people jump in here to tell Mxsmanic that since
he doesn't own a motel, he is not qualified to ask this question. *

My only comment would be on how he can miss analyzing a simple e-mail, so
completely. *Nowhere was there an implication that they would be selling one
motel.

Not surprising, now that I think of it. *What does he not mess up?
--
Jim in NC

someone earlier in this thread asked about the fate of his old motel
too. Aren't you going to harp on him too?
Old February 23rd 10, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Agerhart

On Feb 20, 5:37*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
[...]

Wow!

Congratulations Jay, keep us informed.

Al G
Old February 23rd 10, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"XXXXX" wrote

someone earlier in this thread asked about the fate of his old motel
too. Aren't you going to harp on him too?

Someone mistakenly said I asked about it, but if you follow it closely, it
was MXS ed up that asked if he was going to sell the Iowa one, even though
NOWHERE was that ever mentioned. So yes, mixed up MX got it wrong again,
and I will be glad to harp on him. Nobody else got it wrong; just him.
That isn't surprising, in the least.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 24th 10, 07:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
gpsman

On Feb 23, 5:44*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"XXXXX" wrote

someone earlier in this thread asked about the fate of his old motel
too. Aren't you going to harp on him too?

Someone mistakenly said I asked about it, but if you follow it closely, it
was MXS ed up that asked if he was going to sell the Iowa one, even though
NOWHERE was that ever mentioned. *So yes, mixed up MX got it wrong again,
and I will be glad to harp on him. *Nobody else got it wrong; just him.
That isn't surprising, in the least.

I think I see the problem; you're retarded.
-----

- gpsman
Old February 24th 10, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gezellig

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 22:57:15 -0800 (PST), gpsman wrote:

On Feb 23, 5:44*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"XXXXX" wrote

someone earlier in this thread asked about the fate of his old motel
too. Aren't you going to harp on him too?

Someone mistakenly said I asked about it, but if you follow it closely, it
was MXS ed up that asked if he was going to sell the Iowa one, even though
NOWHERE was that ever mentioned. *So yes, mixed up MX got it wrong again,
and I will be glad to harp on him. *Nobody else got it wrong; just him.
That isn't surprising, in the least.

I think I see the problem; you're retarded.
-----

- gpsman

Everyone who is in this or any thread who responds to MX is retarded.

Yes, that means basically the whole group on RAP, the ********.