Children as Passengers

Old August 9th 05, 12:17 AM
Kyle Boatright

Default Children as Passengers

What is the collective experience on flying young children? I realize each
child is different, but is there an age at which *most* children become
decent passengers in light aircraft?

How do you address protecting a young child's ears?

Stories? Dos? Don'ts?

Old August 9th 05, 12:36 AM
RST Engineering

"There are two modes of travel: First Class and with children." (R.
Benchley [sp?])

Jim

Old August 9th 05, 12:43 AM
Gary Drescher

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
What is the collective experience on flying young children? I realize
each child is different, but is there an age at which *most* children
become decent passengers in light aircraft?

How do you address protecting a young child's ears?

I've taken many children flying, three years old and up. I use regular
headsets, placing foam inserts under the bridge if necessary to make them
fit better. (I'm not sure what to do for infants.)

All the 3-5 year old passengers I've had were very excited about the
prospect of flying, and promptly fell asleep after takeoff. Older kids
stay interested longer.

--Gary

Old August 9th 05, 01:07 AM
W P Dixon

Well they are ok as long as you give their little legs time to gather enough
speed to take off!

Sorry I just had to!!!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old August 9th 05, 01:07 AM
A Lieberman

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 19:17:08 -0400, Kyle Boatright wrote:

What is the collective experience on flying young children? I realize each
child is different, but is there an age at which *most* children become
decent passengers in light aircraft?

How do you address protecting a young child's ears?

Stories? Dos? Don'ts?

Hi Kyle,

Like you say, each child is different, but my niece and nephew took to
flying like a duck to water. Their first flight was at one year old and
they are 3 1/2 now.

The first couple of times, all we did was go to the airport to let them get
comfortable with the sounds, and being around the plane. Since I have a
Sundowner, the slope of the wing was very intimidating, but now it takes
everything to keep them out of the plane after I arrive.

Do's.......

Do preflight with them. Let them move the controls. Let them spill the
fuel out of the sampler. Kids love cause and effect. I use this as an
opportunity to learn how to count, parts of planes and so on.

Do emphasis ramp safety. My niece and nephew know the prop and exhaust
pipe is dangerous and they are not to step on the ramp without somebody
holding their hand. No running allowed period. They learned real quick to
watch their heads around low wing planes like mine as flaps do make a mark
on a forehead when they are walked into. Props are not forehead friendly
either as my nephew discovered when he put the chocks down and got up
without looking. He looks now *smile*.

Do bring something for them to entertain themselves during the flight.

Do bring something to eat and drink

Do interact with them, act like it's no different then a ride in a car.

Do put them in the back seat, as child seats work better. My big mistake
was putting my nephew in the front and now he wants to be a pilot like
Uncle Allen.

Do bring a camera. The smile that comes with the freedom of flight is
priceless.

Do bring somebody with you to do the camera work so you can focus on making
the flight most comfortable as your partner works on making the kid most
comfortable.

Don't.......

Don't force them to fly.

Don't put them in the plane any sooner then you have too. They get restless
in the anticipation of the flight.

Don't emphasis wearing headsets. If they see you wearing one, they will
want to copy cat you. Act normal, and they will follow. I got lucky here
as they did not mind the headset on their head. I ended up getting child
headsets after their second flight.

Don't emphasis the bumps. Act normal and they won't know any difference

Don't climb too fast. Ears are a little more sensitive and the angle of
attack may make them uncomfortable.

Don't make a long flight without stops. My first cross country flight was
1 hour 15 minutes to my house. That was just about their bladder limit.
Any longer, and I would have been changing britches.

Most importantly....

DO HAVE FUN! Kids are a blast in their reactions.

Hope this helps.

Allen
Old August 9th 05, 01:11 AM
Robert M. Gary

My kids and I travel the U.S., Mexico and Canada in our Mooney. Once
they are able to wear a headset and manage the potty they are great
travelers. They can go before then but its more difficult. I would say
4 years old things get easier.

Old August 9th 05, 03:05 AM

Do a google search on the subject, there is a tremendous amount of
information on the subject on the Internet.

Go to AVweb (www.avweb.com), click on "columns", then on "The Pilot's
Lounge" and scroll down to one of the very first ones which addresses
the subject in detail.

Best of luck with it,
Rick

Old August 9th 05, 04:34 AM
Matt Barrow

oups.com...

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182653-1.html

Old August 9th 05, 05:16 PM
Ross Richardson

I have flown many a child. Take a look at my newsletter and scroll down.
I made these foam pads with velcro that can be added to standard
headsets. They work great. I have use them here and on the Young Eagle
flights for the smaller heads.

http://www.eaa323.org/newsletter/323aug04.pdf

Like someone else has said, kids usually fall asleep in 5 to 10 minutes.

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

Old August 9th 05, 05:40 PM
Andrew Gideon

A Lieberman wrote:

Don't emphasis wearing headsets.Â*Â*IfÂ*theyÂ*seeÂ*youÂ*wearingÂ*one,Â*th eyÂ*will
want to copy cat you.Â*Â*ActÂ*normal,Â*andÂ*theyÂ*willÂ*follow.Â*Â* IÂ*gotÂ*luckyÂ*here
as they did not mind the headset on their head.Â*Â*IÂ*endedÂ*upÂ*gettingÂ*child
headsets after their second flight.

My son's headset has become a toy. He - sometimes - wears it while playing
"airplane". And he knows that its purpose is to damp noise.

When I ask him about flying (again) in a real airplane, he's interested but
sometimes complains that it's too loud. I remind him about the headset, at
which point he gets more interested.

Alas, I've not had a chance to get him in the air since I started this.
I've barely had a chance to get *me* into the air.

- Andrew