Bronze Star v. Combat Infantry Badge

Old July 26th 03, 03:18 AM
ArtKramr

Default Bronze Star v. Combat Infantry Badge

If I met two soldiers, one had the Bronze Star but no CIB or battle stars, the
other had the Combat Infantry Badge but no Bronze Star, I would immediaetly
give the higher respect to the man with the CIB. Men who have been in battle
vvould always have higher place of honor than those who have never been in
battle.

If I met a high ranking officer with the Bronze Star but no battle stars and
a sgt. with the Air Medal but no Bronze Star, the greater honor goes to the man
with the Air Medal. Battle honors go above all other honors..

Arthur Kramer
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old July 26th 03, 03:48 AM
S. Sampson

"ArtKramr" wrote

If I met a high ranking officer with the Bronze Star but no battle stars and
a sgt. with the Air Medal but no Bronze Star, the greater honor goes to the man
with the Air Medal. Battle honors go above all other honors..

Be careful there. I received 5 Air Medals for chasing Soviet Bear bombers
out of the Iceland MADIZ (100 missions). I don't feel much like a warrior :-)

Old July 26th 03, 04:10 AM
S. Sampson

"ArtKramr" wrote
"ArtKramr" wrote

If I met a high ranking officer with the Bronze Star but no battle stars

and
a sgt. with the Air Medal but no Bronze Star, the greater honor goes to the

man
with the Air Medal. Battle honors go above all other honors..

Be careful there. I received 5 Air Medals for chasing Soviet Bear bombers
out of the Iceland MADIZ (100 missions). I don't feel much like a warrior
:-)

Wish I got my Air Medals the way you got yours. (sheesh)

Exactly!

If it's any consolation, the USAF got rid of the Air Medal for such purposes,
and came up with the Aerial Achievement Medal in about 1988 I believe,
which is what I got for 179 days service in Iraq #1.

I still have to pay for coffee...

Old July 26th 03, 04:29 AM
S. Sampson

If I may, I have a war story about what people are really fighting for:

There was a rule (don't know if it still exists) that said if you flew
through two meal periods, and were TDY, that you got full per-diem
for the day. There are generally four meals a day, in defined periods
of time (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and midnight chow). If you launch
before, or during one meal, and land after another, you track that
data on a "missed meal" form.

We never really missed a meal, as we had what were known as
IF-10's back then (In-Flight C rations), and later we had the "three
big lies"--"Meals", "Ready", and "To Eat".

If you really wanted to **** a crew off, it was to deny a missed meal
credit, which denied them full per-diem, which cost them a bunch of
bucks, that their wives already spent.

The Bronze Star, and CIB pale in comparison.

Old July 26th 03, 04:36 AM
Ragnar

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
If I met two soldiers, one had the Bronze Star but no CIB or battle stars,

the
other had the Combat Infantry Badge but no Bronze Star, I would

immediaetly
give the higher respect to the man with the CIB. Men who have been in

battle
vvould always have higher place of honor than those who have never been in
battle.

Pretty shortsighted evaluation system. Qualifying for a CIB doesn't mean
you had to actually be in combat. You only have to be in the "combat zone",
which is defined by the powers that be.

Old July 26th 03, 04:45 AM
Ragnar

"S. Sampson" wrote in message
. ..
If I may, I have a war story about what people are really fighting for:

There was a rule (don't know if it still exists) that said if you flew
through two meal periods, and were TDY, that you got full per-diem
for the day. There are generally four meals a day, in defined periods
of time (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and midnight chow). If you launch
before, or during one meal, and land after another, you track that
data on a "missed meal" form.

Well, in my flying career, we had the system all worked out. If you were in
crew rest (12 hours of rest, including 8 hours of un-interrupted sleep),
pre-flight brief, actual flight, and post-flight brief, you could wangle
missed meals. There were a couple of times that my crew managed to get
missed meals for two days out of one mission. I flew 27 missions in Allied
Farce (24 combat support) and I walked away with just about $3500 from
missed meals. Greatest aircrew scam ever - beats out even the ever-popular
"crew integrity" for billeting scam.

Old July 26th 03, 12:30 PM
Leadfoot

You know I never liked the slogan "Army of One". I always thought of
military service as a "Team Effort". In Art's case there was a whole lot of
guys who helped make sure Art was able to put "Bombs on target" Fuelers,
bomb loaders, mechanics, electricians radiomen, supply clerks, medics, cooks
and a whole lot of others I can't think of right now. I'm sure 99% would be
willing to put the lives on the line but unfortunately for them the military
decided they were needed in the "Rear with the Gear". As it is I'm sure a
couple of ME-262's could have come by Art's air strip and "made their Day"
with a couple of 500Lb'ers and they'd be just as dead as a MoH winner.

Being awarded a medal is often a case of being in the right place and doing
what you were trained to do. "Snuffy" Smith come to mind. Does the guy who
spends his whole military career preparing for war but never sees it deserve
less respect than someone who happened to be in the right place at the right
time?