nav122 parts OR what can I replace a nav122 with?

Old October 2nd 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
tom418

Default nav122 parts OR what can I replace a nav122 with?

I bought a used Cherokee 180 back in 1985. It had a Nav12 and a Nav11. Both
had been OHC by Narco right before I bought the plane. I never had a problem
with either unit. Of course, I don't know what the previous owner paid
Narco....
"Ray Andraka" wrote in message
Edward A. Falk wrote:

OK, my nav122 has died with a stupid mechanical failure in the
frequency-selection gear. Seriously, WTF was Narco thinking when they
put plastic gears in such an expensive box?

So, question the first: Does anybody make aftermarket replacement
parts, or should I buy a dead unit and canibalize it?

Question the second: If I choose not to fix it, what are good options
for a replacement? Does anybody make a clever all-in-one gps or
something that would fit in the same panel hole?

-ed falk

You could call Narco and ask what they'd charge for putting new gears
in. I've found their factory service to be quite reasonable. The only
caveat is that they will go over the entire unit, bringing it up to the
latest mods and doing a full factory acceptance test on it before they
let it back out. The upside is that you get a 90 day warranty on the
entire unit. From what I understand, whether it is worth it or not
depends on the serial number, earlier ones used different boards and
have more problems with connectors and what not, and may not be
economically repairable. Mine is a "B" chassis, whose synthesizer board
went bad. Narco fixed the synth card (replaced a ROM), repainted the
face and needles, replaced gears that were cracked but had not failed
altogether yet. There was something else they fixed too, but I can't
recall what it was. The total charge was under $250 (this was 2 years
ago this month). That was well worth it in my book, far less than the
cost of any replacement, and less than I got for the NAV 11 on EBay that
this unit replaced. Narco will do a flat-fee evaluation of your unit
and call you with the cost to repair if you choose as well. The flat
fee I think is 1 hour of shop time, which I think was $105. If you
choose to repair, that fee is applied toward your repair.

Old October 9th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Edward A. Falk

In article om,
Paul kgyy wrote:
I don't know what your panel space requires, but consider a
reconditioned King KX125 - has a built-in CDI.

Nice unit, but I only have the 3" hole to fill. Also, the Nav122 had
glide slope and marker beacon as well. AFICT, *nobody* makes anything
with near the capability as that old 122. Too bad.

Anywy, it seems I have a number of options available to me; thanks
for all your help.

--
-Ed Falk,
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/
Old October 9th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article om,
Paul kgyy wrote:

I don't know what your panel space requires, but consider a
reconditioned King KX125 - has a built-in CDI.

Nice unit, but I only have the 3" hole to fill. Also, the Nav122 had
glide slope and marker beacon as well. AFICT, *nobody* makes anything
with near the capability as that old 122. Too bad.

Anywy, it seems I have a number of options available to me; thanks
for all your help.

Can you find a spot for a marker beacon receiver/display or replace your
audio panel with one that has a MB rec in it? If you can, I think the
best bet might be a new Nav122D, which has the VOR/LOC reciever
functions of the older Nav122 without the MB receiver. Most audio
panels these days have an option for an integrated MB receiver.

If not, then maybe try to find as late a model of a used 122B as you can
in hopes of getting the decent circuit boards & connectors and then
refurbishing it if needed. I think you can still get refurbished 122B's
from Narco.