In flight recorder

Old March 22nd 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

Default In flight recorder

Andrew Sarangan provided this link to his article on the subject:
http://www.sarangan.org/aviation/art...er-article.pdf

I thought Andrew's article was very well written.

I record nearly all my flights, not just training. I usually don't listen to
the full recording, but I like to be able to check a few minutes here and
there and see if I heard or said what I thought I did. Yup, I really did
acknowledge, "Follow the Alfa on Alfa." Yup, the DEN tower controller really
did call traffic at 9:00. (It was at 3:00.)

I like to have the device record continuously rather than use
voice-activated mode so I have a timeline.

I had been using an Olympus DM-1 I bought it in 2002 for $250. It could
record 22 hours on the included 64 MB card. I later spent another $100 for a
128 MB card. That card recently died. I looked for a replacement card and
found it's been discontinued. The few I found on the web were $100 each.

Fortunately, my wife suggested I look at new recorders. I found an Olympus
VN-3100PC at Circuit City for $75. It can record over 71 hours. Amazing! Its
USB transfer rate is much lower than the DM-1, but I can live with that.

Jon

Old March 22nd 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Longworth[_1_]

I selected an mp3 player/recorder which used SD card (paid
something like $100 in 2005). I put an 256mb card in it and it seemed
to last forever. SD cards have come down quite a bit in prices. I
had just paid $5 for 2gb card (after rebate). I will check to see if
the larger memory SD cards will fit in my recorder.

Hai Longworth

Old March 23rd 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

Ummmm.. not quite.. He is correct....almost....

The insulation DOES protect by breaking down in the heat.. but not
to water...

Thats where there is a "time" protection at various temperatures.

It turns into a "Cooling gas" (similar to steam) at fire
temperatures, protecting the contents until the material is gone..

This sacrifical evaporation process offers a lot of heat protection..

This is how my 800 lb fire "proof" 4 drawer filing cabinet works...

Now, the cheaper 200 dollar Wally World variety cabinet is , as you
pointed out, just insulated...

Dave

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 06:04:33 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Christopher Brian Colohan" wrote

My understanding is that fire safes are designed to protect documents.
They are lined with a chemical which produces water when it is heated,
which stops documents from lighting on fire. Water probably won't do
a lot of good for electronics.

Lining produces water? Where did you hear that poppycock?

They insulate, plain and simple, to keep the document below ignition
temperature.

Old March 24th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Lou" wrote in message ups.com...
: Has anyone ever made their own in-flight recorder? I'm curious how
: this would be done. I don't think it would be that difficult if you
: use a regular cassette in one of those small fire safes. Just
: drill a small hole to accomadate the mic wire. But how would you hook
: it up to the intercom?
: Or would you have a small lapel mic attatched to your headset? Anyway,
: has anyone tried this?
: Lou
:

Lopresti Fury folks are talking about an iPlane - they are putting in a iPod to do data acquisition as well as the
standard stuff...