few pre-checkride questions

Old May 19th 04, 01:01 PM
Baron Man

Default few pre-checkride questions

1. what's a VDP and how does one compute it.
2. how many phases of an approach (IAP) and how do you tell each from the
other
3. what's a GRID MORA
4. what's a THINGS
5. what's the min ATC separation under IFR
6. drift-down?

Old May 19th 04, 01:19 PM
Dave Butler

Baron Man wrote:
1. what's a VDP and how does one compute it.

Visual Descent Point. If there's one published for the approach (ie. on the
chart), don't descend visually below the MDA until you pass that point. If
there's none published, you can compute one for yourself as a convenience. How
to compute it is a matter of personal preference. You probably want to compute a
VDP that will give you about a 3 degree descent.

2. how many phases of an approach (IAP) and how do you tell each from the
other

Initial, intermediate, final, and maybe missed(?). Are those considered
"phases"? Dunno.

3. what's a GRID MORA

Minimum Off-Route Altitude. Don't know about the "GRID". Probably a reference to
the lat-lon grid on your enroute chart. There's a MORA for each quadrangle.

4. what's a THINGS

Don't know.

5. what's the min ATC separation under IFR

Good question. I should know this, but I don't.

6. drift-down?

What a feather does. :-)

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Old May 19th 04, 02:02 PM
Andrew Sarangan

"Baron Man" wrote in news:E0Iqc.130638$WA4.21924
@twister.nyc.rr.com:

1. what's a VDP and how does one compute it.

This is in the AIM Chapter 5. The missed approach point of most
nonprecision approaches are at or past the runway location, making it
impossible to descend and land if you sight the runway at the missed
approach point. For this reason, a visual descent point (VDP) is sometimes
designated using a normal desent angle (typically 3 deg). It is intended to
provides terrain clearance below the MDA. It also means that if you don't
see the runway by the time you reach the VDP, you should start getting
ready for the missed approach procedure.

2. how many phases of an approach (IAP) and how do you tell each from

the
other

Initial Approach Segment, Intermediate Approach Segment, Final Approach
Segment and Missed Approach Segment. This is just a guess.

3. what's a GRID MORA

Don't know, but I suspect you are referring to Off Route Obstacle Clearance
Altitude (OROCA), which are the large bold numbers in each lat/lon
quadrant. It gives you 1000' obstruction clearance.

Old May 19th 04, 08:32 PM
Teacherjh

4. what's a THINGS

Probably the name of an intersection. They are five letters long, and are
supposed to be pronouncable. An intersection is (usually) defined by two VOR
radials, or a VOR radial and a DME (distance) from that VOR. Intersections are
used as waypoints - upon reaching such a waypoint, you can do something (like
descend) as charted in the approach procedure.

Jose

Old May 19th 04, 11:17 PM
Teacherjh

There is a fix named THING, but not THINGS. Could it be some kind of
acronym, like GUMPS?

http://www.acronymfinder.com didn't have it as an acronym. Maybe it's a fix
named THNGS? I'd have to see what you are looking at in context to say more
(and be coherent).

Jose

Old May 19th 04, 11:24 PM
Bob Noel

In article , "Baron Man"
wrote:

6. drift-down?

A twin with one engine inop will drift down if above its
single-engine ceiling.

--
Bob Noel
Old May 20th 04, 12:45 AM
John R. Copeland

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message =
. 158...
There is a fix named THING, but not THINGS. Could it be some kind of=20
acronym, like GUMPS?

Hey, they've moved THING!
It used to be a radar fix near Worthington, OH, on the NDB 27L approach
to KOSU, and Columbus approach would normally call it out for us.
It disappeared from there years ago, and I didn't know until now
that it's been redesignated elsewhere.
Thanks, Andrew. It's like finding a lost old friend :-)
---JRC---

Old May 20th 04, 12:47 AM
John R. Copeland

"Bob Noel" wrote in message =
In article , "Baron Man"=20
wrote:
=20
=20
6. drift-down?

=20
A twin with one engine inop will drift down if above its
single-engine ceiling.
=20
--=20
Bob Noel

And if you try to avoid THAT drift-down, you'll get spin-down. :-(
---JRC---