Maule Turbine

Old August 2nd 03, 03:18 PM
Kyler Laird

kevin writes:

I was not talking about a conversion, you can buy a new Maule from the
factory with the Allison engine. I was looking at the difference of
cruise speed 164 with the Lycoming as opposed to 190 with the Allsion.
The 2800 fpm climb is also tempting.

The slower Maule will go a lot further between fill ups.

This is true. 15gph as opposed to 25 for the turbine.

15 vs. 25gph for different speeds, right? What are the fuel consumptions
for the same speed at cruise altitudes (10-20K)?

To be fair you should also add in the extra 5 gallons the turbine can
carry (in situations where you're at gross).

--kyler
Old August 2nd 03, 04:45 PM
Dennis O'Connor

You might want to have the factory take you for a ride to see what 190mph is
like inside of a fabric covered fuselage with angular otlines....

Denny

Old August 2nd 03, 06:43 PM
kevin

Dennis O'Connor wrote:
You might want to have the factory take you for a ride to see what 190mph is
like inside of a fabric covered fuselage with angular otlines....

Denny

cruise speed 164 with the Lycoming as opposed to 190 with the Allsion.
The 2800 fpm climb is also tempting.

Yes , without a doubt i would want a demo ride. A cruise speed of 164 is
not bad for a
STOL bird, 190 is smoking.

Old August 3rd 03, 09:54 PM
Dennis O'Connor

I recently flew a local pilots, new 260 Maule... I didn't see anything
approaching 164...

Denny

Old August 3rd 03, 11:14 PM
kevin

Dennis O'Connor wrote:
I recently flew a local pilots, new 260 Maule... I didn't see anything
approaching 164...

Denny

Thats what the specs say on the 260 with the IO-540 Lycoming. What
cruise speed did you see ?

Old August 4th 03, 03:46 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Dennis O'Connor wrote:

I recently flew a local pilots, new 260 Maule... I didn't see anything
approaching 164...

Odd - I've found the Maule Air specs to be quite accurate on my bird. You
*do* realize that we're talking miles per hour and not knots?

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel
Old August 4th 03, 10:49 PM
Montblack

("Dave Lyjak" wrote)
From AvWeb:

This week at OSH, Maule debuted an M-9 fitted with SMA's SR 305-230

aerodiesel,
which was first certified in Europe a while ago and is now poised to make
inroads in the U.S.

I spoke with SMA (France) last week, at their tent at Oshkosh. They said
currently only Jet-A is certified. Diesel is not approved. Too many BTU's in
diesel, from what I understand. To many variations in diesel fuel. (Their
words)

Diamond Star's diesel burns Jet-A or regular diesel fuel and is certified as
such. Their engine is made by Thielert of Germany

--
Montblack