Fly Baby Model for Microsoft Flight Simulator

Old November 27th 05, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Fly Baby Model for Microsoft Flight Simulator

For those who like to collect models for Microsoft Flight Simulator, I have
generated a Fly Baby:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/MSFS/index.html

The web page includes some screen shots for those are curious....

Ron Wanttaja
Old November 28th 05, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Are you running FS2002 Pro? If so, how do you generate a plane with the
Editor program that comes with it???

Scott "Would like to add my Junior Ace to FS2002" Littfin
Bloomer, WI

Old November 28th 05, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 00:41:01 +0000, Scott wrote:

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

For those who like to collect models for Microsoft Flight Simulator, I have
generated a Fly Baby:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/MSFS/index.html

The web page includes some screen shots for those are curious....

Are you running FS2002 Pro? If so, how do you generate a plane with the
Editor program that comes with it???

Scott "Would like to add my Junior Ace to FS2002" Littfin
Bloomer, WI

I'm running FS2004 standard version, which comes with the GMAX program for
generating the visual models. I looked at GMAX for awhile, but couldn't figure
out how to work with it.

Instead, I bought Abacus Software's "FS Design Studio."

http://www.abacuspub.com/default.html

It comes with a step-by-step tutorial that gets you started, and there are
additional online tutorials that give more detail. GMAX is probably a better
program, but as FSDS is *designed* for generating aircraft, it's probably
quicker to pick up.

Now that I understand the 3-D modeling process, I could probably run GMAX. But
if you're just starting out and aren't planning on generating commercial models,
FSDS is probably a better pick. The trouble is, GMAX is free, while FSDS costs
about $50.

The basic design process is to load a 3-view image of the aircraft into the
editor, generate boxes and tubes to roughly approximate the fuselage and wings,
then edit the boxes and tubes to match the 3-views. This web page does a pretty
good job of explaining the process:

http://www.abacuspub.com/ds/tutorial/FSDSTutorial1.htm

Ron Wanttaja