ICAO English requirements changing in 2008?

Old December 30th 07, 09:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default ICAO English requirements changing in 2008?

If I understand correctly, the ICAO is putting more stringent requirements for
English for pilots and crew into effect on the first of the year. Is that
true? If so, does anyone know where I can find an official description of the
new requirements? Searching the ICAO site pointed me to a zillion different
pages.
Old December 30th 07, 10:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

If I understand correctly, the ICAO is putting more stringent
requirements for English for pilots and crew into effect on the first
of the year. Is that true? If so, does anyone know where I can find
an official description of the new requirements? Searching the ICAO
site pointed me to a zillion different pages.

Why, you think of learning English? Probably a wise move since I don't
think Crap is going to become an ICAO language anytime soon.

Bertie

Old December 30th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Goddamn it Bertie, the man is a jerk, no doubt about it. But when he
doesn't come off as a pompous ass, and the question is phrased in good form,
either answer the man directly, but if you are ignorant of the answer as you
appear to be, just let it drop. Giving him grief for a well thought out
question is a sure way to make it indistinguishable to him the difference
between honest questions and most of his postings. Remember Psych 1? Or
the Fundamentals Of Learning?

It vaguely reminds me of the English Lord High Judge that passed a beggar
who had been in his court a few times for minor offenses. He pointed his
cane at him and said, "There is a rogue at the end of my cane." The beggar
said, "And at which end would that be, m'lord?"

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.. .
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Old December 30th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"RST Engineering" wrote in
:

Goddamn it Bertie, the man is a jerk, no doubt about it. But when he
doesn't come off as a pompous ass, and the question is phrased in good
form, either answer the man directly, but if you are ignorant of the
answer as you appear to be, just let it drop.

Actuaslly, I know he answer.

Giving him grief for a
well thought out question is a sure way to make it indistinguishable
to him the difference between honest questions and most of his
postings. Remember Psych 1? Or the Fundamentals Of Learning?

Yep.

It vaguely reminds me of the English Lord High Judge that passed a
beggar who had been in his court a few times for minor offenses. He
pointed his cane at him and said, "There is a rogue at the end of my
cane." The beggar said, "And at which end would that be, m'lord?"

Mmm, yes, Good story.

Bertie
Old December 30th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
nobody[_2_]

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Goddamn it Bertie, the man is a jerk, no doubt about it. But when he
doesn't come off as a pompous ass, and the question is phrased in good
form, either answer the man directly, but if you are ignorant of the
answer as you appear to be, just let it drop.

Every one of the trolls threads start this way. A simple 'honest' question.
She's very predictable.

Bertie's actually performing a public service, letting anyone who may be
tempted to answer her that they are inviting a flame war.

Old December 30th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:15:46 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote in :

If I understand correctly, the ICAO is putting more stringent requirements for
English for pilots and crew into effect on the first of the year. Is that
true? If so, does anyone know where I can find an official description of the
new requirements? Searching the ICAO site pointed me to a zillion different
pages.

http://www.rmitenglishworldwide.com/icao.html
The ICAO Language Proficiency Requirements
How have the language requirements for pilots and air traffic
controllers changed?
In September 2003 the International Civil Aviation Organisation
(ICAO), a division within the United Nations, announced changes to
provisions strengthening language proficiency requirements. These
requirements will come into effect from March 2008. These changes mean
that for the first time, all pilots operating on international routes
and all air traffic controllers who communicate with foreign pilots
will need to have their English language proficiency formally
assessed. The ICAO language proficiency requirement requires that
pilots and air traffic controllers be able to communicate proficiently
using both ICAO phraseology (ICAO Doc. 9832) and plain English (ICAO
Doc. 9835).

ICAO has established six levels of language proficiency:

ICAO Level 6: Expert
ICAO Level 5: Extended
ICAO Level 4: Operational
ICAO Level 3: Pre-Operational
ICAO Level 2: Elementary
ICAO Level 1: Pre-Elementary

The minimum language level for licensing purposes is ICAO Level 4.
To be assessed at ICAO Level 4 or above, a pilot or air traffic
controller must achieve Level 4 in all six of the ICAO skill areas:
Pronunciation, Structure, Vocabulary, Fluency, Comprehension and
Interactions. In other words, if a test candidate is assessed as ICAO
Level 4 in five of the six skill areas, but ICAO Level 3 in one area,
then, according to the ICAO requirement, they are assessed as ICAO
Level 3.

Where are the ICAO language proficiency requirements documented?
The strengthening of the provisions occurs as a result of changes
to ICAO Standard and Recommended Practices (SARPs) in several Annexes:
Old December 31st 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

RST Engineering wrote:
Goddamn it Bertie, the man is a jerk, no doubt about it. But when he
doesn't come off as a pompous ass, and the question is phrased in good form,
either answer the man directly, but if you are ignorant of the answer as you
appear to be, just let it drop. Giving him grief for a well thought out
question is a sure way to make it indistinguishable to him the difference
between honest questions and most of his postings. Remember Psych 1? Or
the Fundamentals Of Learning?

Jim,

I solved this problem by kill filtering Bertie shortly after filtering
MX. With MX filtered I was still seeing virtually all of his posts
since Bertie lacks the self-control to refrain from responding it every
single post MX makes. Once I filtered them both, things returned almost
to normal ... at least as normal as r.a.p gets these days.

Matt
Old December 31st 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Matt Whiting wrote in
:

RST Engineering wrote:
[...]

Why would I want to restrain myself? I only came here to troll him in the
first place..

Bertie
Old December 31st 07, 11:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Larry Dighera writes:

http://www.rmitenglishworldwide.com/icao.html

Excellent! Thanks.
Old December 31st 07, 11:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 03:02:00 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote in :

I solved this problem by kill filtering Bertie shortly after filtering
MX. With MX filtered I was still seeing virtually all of his posts
since Bertie lacks the self-control to refrain from responding it
every single post MX makes. Once I filtered them both, things
returned almost to normal ... at least as normal as r.a.p gets these
days.

Why would I want to restrain myself? I only came here to troll him in the
first place..

Bertie

How does your trolling Mr. A. contribute to improving the newsgroup's
signal to noise ratio?

Where to find list of ICAO airport codes? virtuPIC Piloting 12 December 14th 06 07:43 PM
ICAO Locations [email protected] Piloting 1 July 2nd 06 04:06 PM
Linux: generate ICAO SELCAL tones just like on aviation radio Dan Jacobson Instrument Flight Rules 0 October 11th 04 01:16 AM
ICAO Annex 6 Airwire General Aviation 0 January 10th 04 01:50 PM
Changing from VFR to IFR hawk_spring Simulators 6 October 18th 03 09:41 PM