most anti-aviation city in the nation

Old July 17th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Martin

Default most anti-aviation city in the nation

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Jim Carriere" wrote in message
news Snip
"Repairing, testing, operation, constructing, modifying or altering
flying craft and airboats shall be prohibited in all residential
districts..."

They left off the indoors part.

I'd play the technicality card. "I would never repair, test, etc. etc. etc
a *flying* craft in a residential district. As a matter of fact, I
absolutely refuse to make in-flight repairs."

"It's just a really-detailed full-scale model!"

Old July 17th 06, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Alan Petrillo

Don W wrote:
Sounds like someone needs to talk with their city council to figure out
what the real issues are and try to reach a compromise such that
everyone can be happy. Getting ****ed off and ignoring your neighbor's
concerns doesn't work well.

If they were working in their closed garage and not making a lot of
noise, then no one would even know what they were doing, and it would
not be a concern.

Now their only choice is to rent a hangar with some buddies, or move to
another town.

Like they say: "you can't fight city hall"

No, you _can_ fight City Hall, just be prepared to spend a LOT of money
doing it.

AP
Old July 17th 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Alan Petrillo

blackbird wrote:
Hi guys,

My name is Wayne McCullough and I am a current EAA chapter president.
My homeowners insurance was cancelled because of a current Kolb project
being worked on at my home....23 acres in Effingham County
Georgia........No runway allowed, no storage of aircraft of any
kind......

And then I read this, and Duval County is Jacksonville,
Florida........Amazing what the politicians can do behind closed
doors.....

Eaa national has not responded to any of my e-mails as of yet.....All
of this I found out last Monday......

I've found EAA to be fairly useless in such things. They seem to have
their hands full just trying to save airports.

Been doing experimentals for 12 years, and I did not know I was not
living in America anymore.

We haven't been living in America since GWB was appointed President.

AP
Old July 17th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Alan Petrillo

Don W wrote:
[snip]
Now their only choice is to rent a hangar with some buddies, or move to
another town.

BTW: Another, probably no less expensive option, would be to rent a
workshop in an industrial area.

AP
Old July 17th 06, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Alan Petrillo

Jim Carriere wrote:
Lou wrote:
Your right Jim, that means you must assemble the kite inside the house
not outside. But can you fly either one?

Unfortunately, you're not quite right! The original intent appears to
be what you just said. Reread paragraph (b) of the bill as it is right
now (awaiting the Mayor's signature):

"Repairing, testing, operation, constructing, modifying or altering
flying craft and airboats shall be prohibited in all residential
districts..."

They left off the indoors part.

So if, as currently written, it makes no distinction between full size
aircraft, RC aircraft, toy aircraft, or kites, then you can point this
out to all of your local hobby shops, and get them on your side. And
don't stop there. Since the operation rule would seem to extend even to
the lowly Verti-bird you might even be able to get Toys R Us, and
Walmart on your side.

AP
Old July 17th 06, 10:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_3_]

Default POL: most anti-aviation city in the nation

"Alan Petrillo" wrote

We haven't been living in America since GWB was appointed President.

Please add "POL: to the subject line of your post, when you throw in crap
like that.

Oh, by the way, I'm "SURE" that GWB really gives a **** what someone is
doing in podunk county, building an airplane. That is local politics,
plain and simple.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 17th 06, 11:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

I've got to tell you, the more I read these post the more I think there
is something huge missing. Don't know what it is but we are not getting
the full information.
Lou

Old July 17th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Morgans wrote:
"Alan Petrillo" wrote

We haven't been living in America since GWB was appointed President.

That's a real good way to derail the discussion.

Please add "POL: to the subject line of your post, when you throw in crap
like that.

Better yet, post the article in a political newsgroup in the first
place.

Followups set accordingly.

--

FF

Old July 17th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

You all are getting up in arms about a supposed slap in the face to
homebuilt aircraft. Truth be told, you could probably find a similar
statute about firearms, muscle cars, or ham radio antennas in a lot of
municipalities around the country.

Here's the blunt truth of it. The fellow that wrote that statute thought
(s)he was doing the right thing. That's right. Nobody in local elected
office does something because they are inherently evil. They saw what they
perceived as something the majority of the constituency wanted and wrote the
law accordingly.

The parallel to this is that the fellow that wrote it put his/her pants on
in the morning one leg at a time, just like you do. (S)he works and draws a
paycheck for his labor just like you do. (S)he was not born into political
office, but got there because (s)he perceived the guy that was there was not
listening to what the constituency wanted done and guess what? If (s)he got
elected, the guy was NOT doing what the constituency wanted or they would
have kept the other guy in office.

So don't bitch about "fighting city hall". If you don't like the way things
are being done, run for the office. One of two things will happen. You
will get elected and then YOU get the opportunity to listen to what your
neighbors want to have done. Or, you will lose, but that gives you the
chops for the next four years to call up the winner and remind them that you
got damn near as many votes as they did and this law they are writing is not
a good idea.

Remember Jefferson: "For democracy to fail it is only necessary that good
men do nothing."

Jim
Nevada County Supervisor (Commissioner), Retired
In 8 years rebuilt the airport, built a new jail, a new library, a new
sanitary landfill, and kept 25,000 voters reasonably happy.