Quick drain mess.

Old October 13th 05, 09:29 PM
dlevy

Default Quick drain mess.

I have a newly overhauled engine. Previously, I had a quick drain with a
barb connector to allow using a hose to drain the oil in a bucket. I just
stuck a lenght of garden hose on the barb and opened it up.

I now have this quick drain that has no barb connection. I don't see any
threads to put a barb connection. I would guess I'm probably not the only
person in the universe that has this problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old October 13th 05, 10:33 PM
Jim Burns

If you want the hose permanently attached, find a hose that fits as tightly
as possible, drill and pop rivet the hose onto the nipple, dab RTV into the
holes and around the top of the hose before you rivet if you want. Safety
wire it tightly above and below the pop rivets, add a hose clamp in the
middle, over the pop rivets, if you feel it will help.
Jim

Old October 13th 05, 11:37 PM
nrp

You might want to consider not putting any permanet hose on as anything
that touches or cocks the hose under the cowl will cause the quick
drain to leak - sometimes to the point of losing all the engine oil.

There is the classic engine failure story of the A/C that bumped the
hose with the nosewheel on retraction and dumped all the oil overboard.
Bad day............

Old October 14th 05, 01:13 AM

Thats an easy question.. Demand the shop that did the overhaul to
replace the original fitting. By them changing it to another style
without a 337 is probably not kosher,,,, If ya can't get them to admit
to the fact they" altered" the certified version then a call to the
feds is in order, that should **** someone off for sure.

Old October 14th 05, 05:05 AM
BTIZ

Most likely the quick drain installed on the old engine was not "kosher", no
old entry in the engine logs installing the quick drain, and the engine shop
put it back to specs.

Be careful who you call... and for what.
BT

ups.com...

Old October 15th 05, 06:36 AM

On 13-Oct-2005, "dlevy" wrote:

I now have this quick drain that has no barb connection. I don't see any
threads to put a barb connection. I would guess I'm probably not the only
person in the universe that has this problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

If it's just an issue of the end of the hose slipping off the smooth
fitting, here's a suggestion.

First, you need to experiment with various rubber/plastic tubing sizes to
find one that fits as snugly as possible. Then, put an O-ring around the
end of the tubing where it slips over the quick drain fitting. The O-ring
should be of a size that slightly compresses the tubing, providing a
clamping pressure on the quick drain fitting. You may find it useful to cut
a groove around the tubing in order to keep the O-ring in place.
--
-Elliott Drucker
Old October 15th 05, 03:46 PM
Kyle Boatright

"dlevy" wrote in message
I have a newly overhauled engine. Previously, I had a quick drain with a
barb connector to allow using a hose to drain the oil in a bucket. I just
stuck a lenght of garden hose on the barb and opened it up.

I now have this quick drain that has no barb connection. I don't see any
threads to put a barb connection. I would guess I'm probably not the only
person in the universe that has this problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

I probably have the same quick drain. I found a piece of tubing that is a
press fit, and press it on every time I drain the oil, then pull it off
afterwards.