Pirep Lancair IV

Old October 22nd 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kevin Clarke

Default Pirep Lancair IV

Anybody fly one of these?

KC
Old October 22nd 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Kevin Clarke" wrote in message
Anybody fly one of these?

Flew a P model built by a retired A&P from Lockheed a couple years back.

Incredible machine. Handles like a dream and faster than a scalded greyhound
:~)

Old October 23rd 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kevin Clarke

Matt Barrow wrote:
"Kevin Clarke" wrote in message

Anybody fly one of these?

Flew a P model built by a retired A&P from Lockheed a couple years back.

Incredible machine. Handles like a dream and faster than a scalded greyhound
:~)

Thanks Matt. Did you land it? It looks like about 80kts over the fence,
is that for real?

Can anybody speculate why this 300kt aircraft is not being certified and
remains in the X category? Right now my partners and I are figuring
where we want to go next.

KC
Old October 23rd 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Kevin Clarke wrote:
KC

If the 80kts over the fence is for real, that would be a reason why it
isn't getting certified. IIRC, certified aircraft have to have a stall
speed of no greater than 63kts.
Old October 23rd 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kevin Clarke

Ray Andraka wrote:
Kevin Clarke wrote:
KC

If the 80kts over the fence is for real, that would be a reason why it
isn't getting certified. IIRC, certified aircraft have to have a
stall speed of no greater than 63kts.

It is 63kts with the optional winglets (they claim 73mph). But that
might be the reason. I don't enough about it. Either way, it is an
amazing aircraft.

KC

KC
Old October 23rd 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dennis Johnson

The Lancair IV is a "homebuilt" airplane, certificated as an experimental
amateur built aircraft. If you want to know about it, you might have better
luck at the rec.aviation.homebuilt newsgroup.

Dennis

Old October 23rd 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Matt Barrow wrote:
"Kevin Clarke" wrote in message

Anybody fly one of these?

Flew a P model built by a retired A&P from Lockheed a couple years back.

Incredible machine. Handles like a dream and faster than a scalded
greyhound :~)

Thanks Matt. Did you land it? It looks like about 80kts over the fence, is
that for real?

I don't recall the approach and final speeds, but it does ahve quite nice
slow speed characteristics.

Can anybody speculate why this 300kt aircraft is not being certified and
remains in the X category?

Probably because to certify it and then build it commercially would put the
price well over $1million. There's not likely too much market for it at that
price,

Right now my partners and I are figuring where we want to go next.

Are you talking about buying one, or building one?
--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.

Old October 23rd 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message
Kevin Clarke wrote:
KC

If the 80kts over the fence is for real, that would be a reason why it
isn't getting certified. IIRC, certified aircraft have to have a stall
speed of no greater than 63kts.

Ummm...ANAICT, "over the fence" and stall speed are a few, to several,
knots apart.

Unless you like to stall INTO THE FENCE.

I find that hurts my tushie.

Old October 23rd 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Dennis Johnson" wrote in message
. ..
The Lancair IV is a "homebuilt" airplane, certificated as an experimental
amateur built aircraft. If you want to know about it, you might have
better luck at the rec.aviation.homebuilt newsgroup.

IF what he wants to do is build one. He may just be liking what he's seen.

They can be purchased used, of course, such as this one
http://tinyurl.com/28unzw (links to ASO).

Old October 23rd 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kevin Clarke

Matt Barrow wrote:

Right now my partners and I are figuring where we want to go next.

Are you talking about buying one, or building one?

Not sure, just window shopping right now. I was shocked at what I read.
I thought it was a typo at first. I've been reading about the building
experiences, they seem to take much more time than I could put into one
at this point in my life. Not sure I'd want to be without a pony for 5-8
years. :-)

Thanks for the info though.

KC

Lancair Legacy Joaquin Home Built 22 November 13th 06 09:06 AM
Lancair down near Stafford Wiz Piloting 7 February 25th 06 07:30 PM
Lancair IV Dico Reyers Owning 6 October 19th 04 11:47 PM
Lancair 320 ram air? ROBIN FLY Home Built 17 January 7th 04 11:54 PM
Lancair IVP Peter Gottlieb Home Built 2 August 22nd 03 03:51 AM