O-200 overhaul & Vari EZ value

Old October 17th 03, 07:41 PM
Steve Ruse

Default O-200 overhaul & Vari EZ value

I am considering buying an O-200 powered Vari EZ in a couple of
months. I like everything about this specific plane, except the
engine. It has about 1400hrs on it, so only 400hrs left to TBO. I know
I don't have to overhaul it, but I wouldn't be comfortable going
400hrs past TBO, so an overhaul would have to happen in the next few
years. Am I just stuck paying $8K-$10K for an overhaul? I don't mind
doing the work myself with an A & P looking over my shoulder...still,
just the cost for parts would be significant. Is there any way to save
money on an O-200 overhaul and still get a safe, non-certified engine?
From what I've seen I'll be looking at $5,000 just for parts, IF the
crank and block are fine. Is that accurate?

So I'm wondering if I should just skip this plane and spend the extra
money to get a Long EZ with a lower time engine. The problem is I
really like this Vari EZ...it has several features that I like
(autopilot, GPS, etc.) and I have plenty of faith in the structure and
workmanship. On the other hand, with a Long EZ, I'll probably get some
extra useable load, and MUCH greater range (6+hrs instead of 3+hrs).

Any suggestions or input will be appreciated!
Old October 17th 03, 08:20 PM
Barnyard BOb --

On 17 Oct 2003 11:41:55 -0700, (Steve Ruse)
wrote:

I am considering buying an O-200 powered Vari EZ in a couple of
months. I like everything about this specific plane, except the
engine. It has about 1400hrs on it, so only 400hrs left to TBO. I know
I don't have to overhaul it, but I wouldn't be comfortable going
400hrs past TBO, so an overhaul would have to happen in the next few
years. Am I just stuck paying $8K-$10K for an overhaul? I don't mind
doing the work myself with an A & P looking over my shoulder...still,
just the cost for parts would be significant. Is there any way to save
money on an O-200 overhaul and still get a safe, non-certified engine?
From what I've seen I'll be looking at $5,000 just for parts, IF the
crank and block are fine. Is that accurate?

So I'm wondering if I should just skip this plane and spend the extra
money to get a Long EZ with a lower time engine. The problem is I
really like this Vari EZ...it has several features that I like
(autopilot, GPS, etc.) and I have plenty of faith in the structure and
workmanship. On the other hand, with a Long EZ, I'll probably get some
extra useable load, and MUCH greater range (6+hrs instead of 3+hrs).

Any suggestions or input will be appreciated!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wouldn't buy an aircraft in need of overhaul unless
I could deduct the price of the overhaul plus a little
for time and trouble.... BEFORE buying it.

If you figure 1800 hours TBO for $9000....
that's $5.00 per hour for the remaining 400 hours.

Figure it all out and make your offer.
The worst that happens is you will be
searching for a longer range Long EZ. g

Barnyard BOb -- 50 years of flight.

Old October 17th 03, 10:33 PM
Gig Giacona

"Steve Ruse" wrote in message
m...

So I'm wondering if I should just skip this plane and spend the extra
money to get a Long EZ with a lower time engine. The problem is I
really like this Vari EZ...it has several features that I like
(autopilot, GPS, etc.) and I have plenty of faith in the structure and
workmanship. On the other hand, with a Long EZ, I'll probably get some
extra useable load, and MUCH greater range (6+hrs instead of 3+hrs).

Any suggestions or input will be appreciated!

Here is the situation you will usually see.

All other things being equal and say a 2000 hour engine that costs $5000 to
overhaul...

Plane A 0 SMOH 20,000
Plane B 1000 SMOH 17,500
Plane C 2000 SMOH 15,000

Which plane is the better deal? I'd take C because I'd KNOW by whom and how
well it was overhauled.

Old October 18th 03, 02:23 AM
Jeff

Do you ever let a doctor or dentist work on you or are you also smarter than
they are?

Jeff

"Stan Kapushinski" wrote in message
Steve,

I wouldn't let an A&P or IA work on my car let alone my
airplane.

Old October 18th 03, 02:34 AM
Barnyard BOb --

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:36:27 -0400, "Stan Kapushinski"
wrote:

Steve,

Also, when we bought the 150 it had about 500hr's left on the engine and it
took a few years to fly off that much time and we both flew the plane
regularly. I problaby flew it 1 to 1.5 hrs per week myself. Believe me a
few hundred hours goes a long way when only one or two people use it, unless
your rich and don't have to work.

Stan K.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. I'm not rich.
2. Don't work.
3. Fly a lot.

Am I the only one?

Barnyard BOb - retired airport bum
Old October 18th 03, 02:36 AM
Stan Kapushinski

Steve,

My dad overhualed our O-200 about 7 years ago and did it for around $5000 ~
$6000 it ran better than other 150's I've flown that were overhauled by
certified shops. I wouldn't let an A&P or IA work on my car let alone my
airplane. Fortunatley we knew an IA who my dad would somtimes do work for
so he oversaw the rebuild and signed it off.

Also, when we bought the 150 it had about 500hr's left on the engine and it
took a few years to fly off that much time and we both flew the plane
regularly. I problaby flew it 1 to 1.5 hrs per week myself. Believe me a
few hundred hours goes a long way when only one or two people use it, unless
your rich and don't have to work.

Stan K.

"Steve Ruse" wrote in message
m...
I am considering buying an O-200 powered Vari EZ in a couple of
months. I like everything about this specific plane, except the
engine. It has about 1400hrs on it, so only 400hrs left to TBO. I know
I don't have to overhaul it, but I wouldn't be comfortable going
400hrs past TBO, so an overhaul would have to happen in the next few
years. Am I just stuck paying $8K-$10K for an overhaul? I don't mind
doing the work myself with an A & P looking over my shoulder...still,
just the cost for parts would be significant. Is there any way to save
money on an O-200 overhaul and still get a safe, non-certified engine?
From what I've seen I'll be looking at $5,000 just for parts, IF the

Old October 18th 03, 02:59 PM
Larry Smith

wrote:

Steve,

Also, when we bought the 150 it had about 500hr's left on the engine and

it
took a few years to fly off that much time and we both flew the plane
regularly. I problaby flew it 1 to 1.5 hrs per week myself. Believe me

few hundred hours goes a long way when only one or two people use it,

unless
your rich and don't have to work.

Stan K.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. I'm not rich.

Well, sometimes, you're a little rich.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Old October 19th 03, 10:30 PM
Model Flyer

"Barnyard BOb --" wrote in message

your rich and don't have to work.

Stan K.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. I'm not rich.

Nore am I but it's not because of flying.

2. Don't work.

I do work but as I live in the SE or Ireland I don't get a lot of
printer repair work and I can't spell.

3. Fly a lot.

I wish I could, however the weather is closing in for the weather and
neither my self or the chap I fly with have an IMC rating.:-(
--

..

Old October 20th 03, 06:08 PM
Big John

Johathan

Are you Irish or do you spend a lot of time in IRE?

How can I contact you off News Group (e-mail or letter mail?

Erin go bragh

Big John

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:30:23 +0100, "Model Flyer"
wrote:

.. .

.

Old October 21st 03, 01:38 AM
Richard Riley

wrote:

:I do work but as I live in the SE or Ireland I don't get a lot of
rinter repair work and I can't spell.

Jim, at SnF several years ago I met a homebuilder that was an
architect in his day job. He'd overseen the restoration of the Abby
and the Gate theaters in Dublin. I don't know kind of an airplane he
was building, but since I was there with the Berkut it might have been
a canard.

I've tried to find him and get in touch with him ever since, but
that's all I have. One of these days I'm going to get there and I
*really* want a backstage tour of the Abby.

Any idea of who it might have been? I'm thinking perhaps there aren't
that many builders in eastern Ireland.

Richard (Grandpa was from Wexford) Riley
Richard atsign riley period net