PDA: Which one and what software?

Old May 23rd 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default PDA: Which one and what software?

Newps,

With their GPS 90, everything newer than that is still supported.

Same generation as the Airmap 100.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 23rd 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Steve Foley" said:
Does the treo also function as the GPS, or do you need to add a card to

it?

The Treo 650 doesn't have a GPS. I have a Garmin 296 for use in the

plane -
like I said, I mostly use CoPilot for planning and filing purposes. I'm
tempted to get a bluetooth GPS and FlightMaster as a backup, but I think
the Treo would be more suited for GeoCaching than flying.

The last 2 phones I've gotten claim they have some kind of built-in GPS for
emergency purposes. (Both Motorola phones) I'm sure someone with more
knowledge than me could write some Java stuff to read these values. I had
hoped the Treo had the same technology.

I'm sick of a palm in one pocket, and a phone in the other, so I may pick up
a used Treo. I've seen the 600 selling for around $150 (USD). I don't want
the data capabilities, but I've heard that no matter what I do to it, It
will keep phoning home (to Verizon) and using 'data', so I may need to pay
$20 a month extra. I don't want that.

Old May 23rd 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Steve Foley wrote:

I'm sick of a palm in one pocket, and a phone in the other, so I may pick up
a used Treo. I've seen the 600 selling for around $150 (USD). I don't want
the data capabilities, but I've heard that no matter what I do to it, It
will keep phoning home (to Verizon) and using 'data', so I may need to pay
$20 a month extra. I don't want that.

You heard wrong. It does not keep phoning home to Verizon, whatever
that means. I have a 600 with the 10 MB data plan. You can keep track
of your data usage online at the Verizon site. There's no mysterious
data usage there. With no data plan the only data you could send would
be text and picture messages. I would not reccomend the 600 for two
reasons. The screen resolution is bad, 160x160. The 650 is 320x320 and
is really nice looking. The 600 does not have a user replaceable
battery. Verizon has already replaced my 600 because the battery
failed. My next phone will be the xv6700.
Old May 23rd 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
The last 2 phones I've gotten claim they have some kind of built-in GPS
for
emergency purposes. (Both Motorola phones) I'm sure someone with more
knowledge than me could write some Java stuff to read these values. I had
hoped the Treo had the same technology.

It depends on your carrier, but it's quite likely you can't access the GPS
info directly. The phone companies have a revenue model to protect, and
that generally involves not allowing the customer to have control of their
phone. This includes not allowing access to any GPS hardware that might be
present, at least not without paying the phone company their pound of flesh.

This attitude of theirs is one reason I don't have a mobile phone. I don't
like doing business with people who engage in slimy tactics like that.
Granted, most people don't pay full-price for their phone and in doing so,
they essentially agree to buy enough services from the subsidizer to make it
worth it (which is fair), but for someone who does, they should be granted
complete access to the hardware.

Pete

Old May 23rd 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Newps" wrote in message

You heard wrong.

Looking again, it appears these were all old complaints. I did find
somewhere that Verizon requires a data plan with a PDA/phone. Still not sure
if that's true or not. The complaints stated that they were told one shing
by the sales rep, and another by the support folk.

Thanks for the heads-up on the battery though.

160 x 160 wouldn't bother me. That's what my Zire 31 is.

Old May 24th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter Duniho wrote:

This attitude of theirs is one reason I don't have a mobile phone. I don't
like doing business with people who engage in slimy tactics like that.
Granted, most people don't pay full-price for their phone and in doing so,
they essentially agree to buy enough services from the subsidizer to make it
worth it (which is fair), but for someone who does, they should be granted
complete access to the hardware.

Then buy an unlocked phone. Can't speak for the other technologies but
they are readily available for the CDMA crowd.
Old May 24th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Steve Foley wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message

You heard wrong.

Looking again, it appears these were all old complaints. I did find
somewhere that Verizon requires a data plan with a PDA/phone.

Not true, you can have a smartphone without a data plan but what would
be the sense in that?

Still not sure
if that's true or not. The complaints stated that they were told one shing
by the sales rep, and another by the support folk.

That part is true. The key with smartphones is when you call in to
Verizon is to tell the first human you get to send you over to the
smartphone help folks. The regular people are clueless.

Thanks for the heads-up on the battery though.

160 x 160 wouldn't bother me. That's what my Zire 31 is.

It's OK unless you need to see detail, like say, a radar map.