$200 pulse oximeter for monitoring your oxygen saturation

Old November 11th 04, 12:14 PM
Stefan

Tim Traynor wrote:

John and Eric are right about pre-breathing preventing decompression
sickness (precipitation of N2 in fluids and joints due to decreased
solubility at altitude) but it does not prevent hypoxia,

Even worse: Pure oxygen is poisonous at atmospheric pressure and should
not be breathed over an extended time. You'll find more about this in
advanced scuba diving books.

Stefan

Old November 11th 04, 12:16 PM
Stefan

COLIN LAMB wrote:

Since I do not live on top of a cliff, I need to launch my sailplane. One
of the methods I use is self-launch, in which case I have an engine in front
of me.

Nothing beats one of those small, cheap CO indicators which you can
stick on the panel, then.

Stefan

Old November 11th 04, 03:48 PM
Tim Mara

First off, let me say I think the Pulse oximiter can be a useful tool to
anyone who is flying at altitudes and using supplemental oxygen....I also
looked into these low cost Pulse Oximiters. What I am finding with more
checking is that some have popped up on the market that have been reported
as poor quality knock-offs, typically, made in China and may not be totally
accurate with their readings...Nonin, the company that produces the Finger
Pulse Oximiters that I do offer I have also been told has a lawsuit out on
one of these companies that is producing an exact knock-off in China and
even has the Nonin name on it....
just to note of caution..
tim
www.wingsandwheels.com

"Ray Lovinggood" wrote in message
I've not flown in wave, yet, but I would guess the
cockpit could get rather cold. The spec sheet for
this oximeter shows the operating range from 39 degrees
F to 109 degrees F.

Can cockpit temps drop lower than 39 F at oxygen altitudes?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina USA

Old November 11th 04, 06:44 PM
Eric Greenwell

tango4 wrote:
"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message

Bill Daniels wrote:

Pulse oxymeters need warm fingers with a good blood flow to get a
reading.
Clip on units like this require that you remove a glove to use it - not a
good idea in a wave. I'd pass.

I use a Nonin earlobe clip on a flylead connected to a panel mounted unit.
The sensor can be worn under a hat or balaclava so the sensor and my ears
stay warm. Less interference with controls and can 'fit and forget' for the
whole flight.

This sounds very interesting - what model is it? Does the clip ever
become uncomfortable during a 5 or 6 hour flight? I've had couple
warnings about this possibily from health workers that use them on patients.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old November 11th 04, 07:04 PM
Eric Greenwell

Tim Mara wrote:

First off, let me say I think the Pulse oximiter can be a useful tool to
anyone who is flying at altitudes and using supplemental oxygen....I also
looked into these low cost Pulse Oximiters. What I am finding with more
checking is that some have popped up on the market that have been reported
as poor quality knock-offs, typically, made in China and may not be totally
accurate with their readings...Nonin, the company that produces the Finger
Pulse Oximiters that I do offer I have also been told has a lawsuit out on
one of these companies that is producing an exact knock-off in China and
even has the Nonin name on it....
just to note of caution..

The one I mentioned is approved by the FDA and requires a prescription
to purchase. Counterfeits are a concern for any brand, as Tim points
out, so I would suggest buying your oximeter (Nonin or whatever brand)
from a well-known dealer, and not on eBay!

As far as the prescription is concerned, most of us can easily get one
from a physician friend, I think, or they might even be willing to
purchase it for you, as they can sometimes get a discount. The Nonin
units like Tim sells are not approved for medical use, which is why it
doesn't require a prescription.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old November 11th 04, 07:55 PM
tango4

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message

This sounds very interesting - what model is it? Does the clip ever become
uncomfortable during a 5 or 6 hour flight? I've had couple warnings about
this possibily from health workers that use them on patients.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

I'm using a Nonin OEM system which talks to an 8 bit microprocessor. The
micro mixes the PulseOX and Pulserate data with the data from my
LX1600/Colibri combination into a new NMEA stream so that it is available to
my PDA. The PDA can then display O2 levels and raise an alarm if it gets
low. I can also log the data to a file.
I'm hoping to talk the Mobile SeeYou team into supporting the data stream
too. The clip does get a little uncomfortable occasionally but it's simple
to move it a little or even change ears!

A 2 line 8 character display also displays data. and LEDs indicate brakes
unlocked and wheel down.

This winter I'm adding flap position sense and display and an electronic
Flap drag meter to the instrument.

Ian

Old November 11th 04, 09:27 PM
Raphael Warshaw

Ian:

Neat! Do you have a picture of the OEM oximeter module installation and how
the probe cable is routed. I've been looking at the Nonin Bluetooth device
and a Bluetooth enabled PDA as a way of doing the same thing without the
cable. An added benefit would be that the module could be inside the
clothing, which solves the temperature issue.

Add a cheap digital pressure sensor and you could monitor your O2 supply as
well as the saturation.

Ray Warshaw
1LK

Old November 11th 04, 11:15 PM
Eric Greenwell

Raphael Warshaw wrote:
I'm using a Nonin OEM system which talks to an 8 bit microprocessor.
The
micro mixes the PulseOX and Pulserate data with the data from my
LX1600/Colibri combination into a new NMEA stream so that it is

available
to my PDA. The PDA can then display O2 levels and raise an alarm if it
gets low. I can also log the data to a file.

Ian:

Neat! Do you have a picture of the OEM oximeter module installation and how
the probe cable is routed. I've been looking at the Nonin Bluetooth device
and a Bluetooth enabled PDA as a way of doing the same thing without the
cable. An added benefit would be that the module could be inside the
clothing, which solves the temperature issue.

Add a cheap digital pressure sensor and you could monitor your O2 supply as
well as the saturation.

SPO Medical lists a Bluetooth oximeter to connect with a PDA on their
web site, but I'm unable to find a vendor or much information for it.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old November 11th 04, 11:54 PM
Tim Traynor

John and Eric are right about pre-breathing preventing decompression
sickness (precipitation of N2 in fluids and joints due to decreased
solubility at altitude) but it does not prevent hypoxia,

Even worse: Pure oxygen is poisonous at atmospheric pressure and should
not be breathed over an extended time. You'll find more about this in
advanced scuba diving books.

Stefan

Yes, when I was in school there was a lab in my department that showed a
hyperoxic environment (100% O2 for 24 hrs) can induce severe airway
epithelial damage and used such a model to study how the epithelium responds
to injury.

Tim

Old November 12th 04, 12:58 AM
Vaughn

Tim Mara wrote:
The Nonin
units like Tim sells are not approved for medical use, which is why it
doesn't require a prescription.

But it is apparently the same unit that they DO sell for medical use, the
only difference being the label and the intended use. I have seen the aviation
and medical versions of the Nonin instrument side-by-side and they look and
operate exactly the same.

We purchased our Nonin Flitestat (AKA Onyx) primarily for non-aviation use,
and find it to be an amazing device. I have only tried it in the cockpit once,
but was disappointed in the difficulty/impossibility of reading the LED display
in bright sunlight. Are you old enough to remember LED wris****ches? Same
deal. The same unit with an LCD display would be much better for soaring use.

Vaughn