Verifying flap retraction

Old August 17th 04, 05:22 PM
Newps

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

If you use the
appropriate departure airspeed for 0 degrees of flaps when you actually have 20
degrees down, the climb rate (or lack thereof) could be a problem.

In a Cessna if you try to use a zero flap airspeed with flaps 20 you
will wonder why you have to hold it on the ground to keep it from
flying. Having the flaps stuck at 20 is no emergency.

The longer it
takes you to realize it, the closer the trees get.

In a Cessna you will shoot over those trees with no problem.

Old August 17th 04, 05:36 PM
Bill Denton

I think the question might have been:

Does the flap position indicator move even if you have a flap motor (or
whatever) failure resulting in no movement by the flaps?

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Yes, the little metal bar moves. I'm going to put painting it red on my
list. Still, looking at a big thing out side the plane as opposed to a
little thing down on the panel seems safer to me.

If you can train yourself to hear the noise, that's probably as good as
taking a look. It's easy to miss the absence of noise though as my friend
found out.

--

Roger Long

"Ray" wrote in message
What about the little metal bar that moves up and down on the left side

of
the flaps switch? When the flaps fail to retract, does the metal bar

still
go all the way back up? Also, normally you can hear the motor running

every
time the flaps are moving up or down. When the flaps get stuck, is

there
any audible indication?

Thanks,
- Ray

"Roger Long" wrote in message
One of the more experienced pilots in our club scared himself climbing

out
of a touch and go during which he didn't notice that the flaps had

frozen
at
20 degrees on our 172.

I've been investigating the flap system on Cessna's and am impressed

how
easily a bit of fluff or corrosion in just one switch can let the

flaps
go
down but then fail to retract.

This leaves me convinced that CFI's and all of us should be drilling

in
the
glance over the shoulder to verify retraction on all touch and goes

and
go
arounds. Practicing climb outs from minimum airspeed with all flap

settings
is a very neglected part of airwork and probably as important to

safety
as
doing stalls.

--

Roger Long

Old August 17th 04, 05:51 PM
Roger Long

There is a second pointer on the post 1976 Cessna selectors which follows
the lever you move. It is actuated by a push pull cable attached to the
flap cables. It's hard to envision any way it could move with out the flaps
moving. The cables would need to have broken in which case all the flapping
and banging would probably alert you the fact that you had a much bigger
problem.

--

Roger Long

Old August 17th 04, 07:41 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

The plane is certified to climb with full flaps.

Not very well and not at all at high density altitudes.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.
Old August 17th 04, 07:41 PM
Roger Long

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

In a Cessna if you try to use a zero flap airspeed with flaps 20 you
will wonder why you have to hold it on the ground to keep it from
flying. Having the flaps stuck at 20 is no emergency.

Neither is having a door pop open but, look how many pilots that has killed.
Anything you are not prepared to deal with is a hazard.

Not checking retraction of flaps at 20 degrees is pretty far down the list
of dangers. However, not being in the habit of checking bumps it way up
when you use 30 or 40 in a tight spot.

--

Roger Long

Old August 17th 04, 09:28 PM
Dale

In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

Yes, the little metal bar moves. I'm going to put painting it red on my
list. Still, looking at a big thing out side the plane as opposed to a
little thing down on the panel seems safer to me.

Are you sure the indicator will move if the flaps are not moving? On
the 206 that indicator is driven by a cable off the flaps and only moves
if the flaps are moving.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old August 17th 04, 10:11 PM
Bob Chilcoat

"Roger Long" wrote in message

Neither is having a door pop open but, look how many pilots that has

killed.

Roger Long

I just proved that to myself today. Took off with the upper latch undone on
the Archer. Decided to go on to the next airport (five miles) and land
there to fix it. Got distracted and forgot the boost pump in the pattern.
Not a disaster, but I demonstrated to myself that a door open can be more of
a distraction than I had thought. Doh!

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

Old August 17th 04, 10:32 PM
Roger Long

One of us got this backwards

What I was saying is: The pointer bar is a reliable indicator that the flaps
are moving. Unless the very lightly loaded follow up cable snaps, it is
extremely unlikely that the pointer could move without the flaps moving.
The pointer is directly connected to the flap cables.

--

Roger Long

Old August 18th 04, 12:49 AM
BTIZ

I've been looking over my shoulder at Cessna flaps on retract during touch
and goes for 30 yrs... when did they stop teaching "verify"

BT

Flap Hinge Moment Calc Bo Home Built 2 February 2nd 05 10:26 AM
Flap Hinge Moment Calc Bo Home Built 0 February 2nd 05 06:01 AM
Flap angles DeltaDeltaDelta Piloting 34 May 18th 04 12:09 AM
McFarlane flap rollers - PIREP please Roger Long Owning 3 November 3rd 03 10:04 PM
Flap design question Chris W Home Built 1 August 4th 03 02:50 PM