Kolstad scholarship (USA)

Old September 25th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John H. Campbell

Default Kolstad scholarship (USA)

A few months ago, Ralph Kolstad, our Kolstad committee chair, challenged
the previous winners of the Kolstad Scholarship via SOARING magazine to
see who could raise the most money for the Kolstad Youth Scholarship
fund. He reported last week that he has raised most of the donations and
matched them for a total of $6,187 this summer, but he welcomes more by
year end. These funds are securely invested for the program purposes
only.

If you are, or you know of, an eligible pilot (US citizen SSA member,
age under 21 as of September 30, Century I or complete Silver Badge,
application form from SSA web, statement letter and recommendations),
please arrange to send an application package to SSA by the deadline of
September 30.

John H. Campbell
SSA Youth Committee
Old September 25th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

If you are, or you know of, an eligible pilot (US citizen SSA member,
age under 21 as of September 30, Century I or complete Silver Badge,
application form from SSA web, statement letter and recommendations),
please arrange to send an application package to SSA by the deadline of
September 30.

John,

This is unclear to me; is it supposed to be asking for recommendations
for a scholarship? Must the silver badge have been completed along with
being under 21?

Best,

Nyal Williams

Old September 26th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John H. Campbell

This is unclear to me; is it supposed to be asking for recommendations
for a scholarship? Must the silver badge have been completed along with
being under 21?

It's a last minute reminder to young eligible applicants out there that
2006 applications should be mailed in to SSA by the end of this week. I
have had a little difficulty reaching all expected eligibles, so I was
just enlisting r.a.s readers to prod any they might know of locally.

The application form is online at
http://www.soarcsa.org/ssa/ssay/klstdapp.pdf

Details on the grant, eligibility, and application package guidelines
(form + statement + letters of recommendation) are at
http://www.soarcsa.org/ssa/ssay/kycs.htm
In brief, yes, a complete Silver badge must have been earned at minimum,
OR an SSA youth "Century I" flight (100km X/C), the upper age limit is
20, and it is for SSA member USA citizens. One typo I have yet to fix,
sorry: A Private Pilot Certificate is not required (e.g for applicants
age 14, 15). It is a competitive award, so the more advanced soaring,
Club/FBO service, and academic activity the better.

John H. Campbell
SSA Youth Committee