"Proceed on Course" = "Right turn approved"?

Old July 16th 04, 03:36 AM
Newps

Bill Zaleski wrote:

At a towered airport you turn whatever direction you want, unless
otherwise instructed.

Agreed, but you may not cross an extension of the departure runway
centerline till outside the "D" or with clearance.

That's one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. I'm supposed to fly
4 or 5 miles until I leave the class D before I can cross an extended
centerline of the departure rwy? Bull****. If the tower controller
doesn't give me a damn good reason not to turn then I'll turn to
whatever is convenient for me.

This happens a lot
here, for some reason.

It happens alot becaue it's ridiculous to assume it wouldn't.

The tower has a fit,

Where is here, I'd like to come thru there one day.

Old July 16th 04, 03:55 AM
Brad Z

"Bill Zaleski" wrote in message
Agreed, but you may not cross an extension of the departure runway
centerline till outside the "D" or with clearance. This happens a lot
here, for some reason. The tower has a fit, and rightfully so.

Hmm, don't remember reading that in the AIM.

Old July 16th 04, 03:59 AM
Gary Drescher

"Newps" wrote in message
No, the left turn preference does not apply to towered airports.

How does that jibe with 91.129a?

Old July 16th 04, 04:10 AM
Newps

Gary Drescher wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message

No, the left turn preference does not apply to towered airports.

How does that jibe with 91.129a?

How does it not jibe?

Old July 16th 04, 04:12 AM
Bob Gardner

Seems to me that "Maintain runway heading until advised" would fit the bill
in this situation.

"Bill Zaleski" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:21:17 -0600, Newps wrote:

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
I took of from Reading, PA this morning from RW 31 with an on-course

heading
of 105. As I was cleared for takeoff, I was told "Cleared for takeoff,
proceed on course". In the past, they've also added "Right turn

approved".
This time they didn't. I was concerned that I hadn't been cleared for

right turn, and a right turn would have gotten me on course sooner. I

then
said "Request right turn to on course" but the controller seemed a bit
irritated and just added "On course approved". Did I have permission

for a
right turn in the pattern or not?

Old July 16th 04, 04:16 AM
Gary Drescher

"Newps" wrote in message
Gary Drescher wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message

No, the left turn preference does not apply to towered airports.

How does that jibe with 91.129a?

How does it not jibe?

As I mentioned, 91.129a says that pilots at Class D airports have to comply
with the untowered-airport requirements set forth in 91.126 and 91.127
(except when otherwise authorized by ATC).

--Gary

Old July 16th 04, 04:29 AM
zatatime

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:44:28 -0400, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

I took of from Reading, PA this morning from RW 31 with an on-course heading
of 105. As I was cleared for takeoff, I was told "Cleared for takeoff,
proceed on course". In the past, they've also added "Right turn approved".
This time they didn't. I was concerned that I hadn't been cleared for a
right turn, and a right turn would have gotten me on course sooner. I then
said "Request right turn to on course" but the controller seemed a bit
irritated and just added "On course approved". Did I have permission for a
right turn in the pattern or not?

You were given free reign to get on course any way you saw fit. He
must've been slow and didn't need to send you in any particular
direction.

Old July 16th 04, 05:25 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Newps" wrote in message

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
I took of from Reading, PA this morning from RW 31 with an on-course

heading
of 105. As I was cleared for takeoff, I was told "Cleared for takeoff,
proceed on course". In the past, they've also added "Right turn

approved".
This time they didn't. I was concerned that I hadn't been cleared for a
right turn, and a right turn would have gotten me on course sooner. I

then
said "Request right turn to on course" but the controller seemed a bit
irritated and just added "On course approved". Did I have permission

for a
right turn in the pattern or not?

At a towered airport you turn whatever direction you want, unless
otherwise instructed.

After clearing first, with something like "request southeast departure"?

Old July 16th 04, 12:12 PM
Peter Clark

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:36:09 -0600, Newps wrote:

Agreed, but you may not cross an extension of the departure runway
centerline till outside the "D" or with clearance.

That's one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. I'm supposed to fly
4 or 5 miles until I leave the class D before I can cross an extended
centerline of the departure rwy? Bull****. If the tower controller
doesn't give me a damn good reason not to turn then I'll turn to
whatever is convenient for me.

Just to play devil's advocate, why would you need to cross the
extended centerline? You took off, you turned in the direction that
you intended to go which would either be right or left of the
centerline. Unless you were completely screwed up (or were declaring
an emergency and it wouldn't matter) you wouldn't need to reverse the
turn and cross the centerline again. Doing so would confuse the
controller, and any traffic taking off behind you which was expecting
you to keep going in generally the direction you were going, right?

Wouldn't anything else be a transit of the Class D which would need
approval anyway?

Old July 16th 04, 01:06 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message

I took of from Reading, PA this morning from RW 31 with an on-course

heading
of 105. As I was cleared for takeoff, I was told "Cleared for takeoff,
proceed on course". In the past, they've also added "Right turn

approved".
This time they didn't. I was concerned that I hadn't been cleared for a
right turn, and a right turn would have gotten me on course sooner. I

then
said "Request right turn to on course" but the controller seemed a bit
irritated and just added "On course approved". Did I have permission for

right turn in the pattern or not?

Why would you need specific permission for a right turn? "Proceed on
course" means a turn on course in the shortest direction. In your case, a
right turn is about 155 degrees while a left turn is about 205 degrees, so
you should turn right.