Small 4 stroke engine?

Old June 8th 05, 04:50 AM
Ron Webb

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned this yet.

The military 4a032 is a 32 cubic inch horizontally opposed "inini Lycoming"
4 cylinder engine.
With a larger carb, and shaved heads, it will put out over 30 HP, but it's
more comfortable at 16 to 20 HP. Stripped of all the junk, I believe it's
weight is within range of your specs too.

They are cheap via surplus
http://saturnsurplus.com/engine/engine.htm

And have been used in many aircraft.
http://www.harpritsan.com/EngineRecord1.html
http://home.cfl.rr.com/aircraft/4A032.html/
as examples. There are many others Google 4a032.

Also look at the 2a043. 2 cylinder, but a bit larger displacement. More
power, less weight, but not as smooth.

I use these things to turn a skiff into an airboat. They're a lot of fun!

Ron Webb

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
I'm looking for an engine that may not exist. If anyone has a notion
of what it might be, I'd be grateful.

It's for a 103 legal ultralight.

60 lbs or so all up, including re-drive and cooling
35-40 hp.
4 stroke.
More reliable than a 2 stroke Rotax

Any ideas?

Old June 8th 05, 07:08 AM
gilan

I've been looking for the same engine for years. There is no such animal.
Finding a 4 stroke with the same power and weight of the Rotax 447 would be
the answer to reviving legal 103 airplanes.
--
Mitchell Wing
http://www.mitchellwing.com

--
Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group

"Richard Riley" wrote ...

Old June 8th 05, 07:24 AM

I have no specs, but a year or so ago I visited a guy who was building
a plane with a
BMW opposed twin motorcycle engine. He had found a new or nearly new
one somewhere. I have moved and lost track of him, but this was his
third plane (second
of his own design), and he had previously used Rotaxs.

David Johnson

Old June 8th 05, 08:02 AM
Frank van der Hulst

UltraJohn wrote:
The Kawasaki 340 and 440 are in use in Ultralights but I think
they are two-stroke.

I'm fairly sure the 440 is 4 stroke. But I won't guarantee!

Nope -- 340 and 440 are two-strokes.

Take a look at the Kawasaki Snow mobile engines.

I thought that was what the Kaw340 and 440 were. But I won't guarantee!

Frank
Old June 8th 05, 08:36 PM
Mark Smith

Richard Riley wrote:

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:08:52 GMT, "Dan"
wrote:

:The requirement stated by the original poster was more reliable than a
:Rotax. Are we all that sure that a motorcycle engine or a overstressed
:lawnmower engine will be even as reliable? Rotax's are pretty damn reliable
:if maintained properly.

My UL instructor out at Perris (California) says he's had 22 engine
outs. That's in several thousand hours of Ultralight flying, and many
of them were other than Rotax. But I want something reasonably close
to 4 stroke reliability numbers.

I had near 12 in one day trying to find a problem with a 277 powered MX
clone

found the trouble to be the fuel pump rebuilt by the owner,

seems he stacked the new parts in and forced the screws in,

flappers and holes allowed some drainage thjrough but not enough to keep
the carb full at throttle levels above idele,

stay with the lighter and cheaper two strokes,

and learn enough to not do stuff like the above,,,,,,,,,,

i found the problem by swapping a pump that was laying on the floor,
discarded from another project,

worked well,,,,,,,,,,,,
--
Mark Smith
Tri-State Kite Sales

Old June 8th 05, 10:33 PM
Bertie the Bunyip

Richard Riley
:

I'm looking for an engine that may not exist. If anyone has a notion
of what it might be, I'd be grateful.

It's for a 103 legal ultralight.

60 lbs or so all up, including re-drive and cooling
35-40 hp.
4 stroke.
More reliable than a 2 stroke Rotax

Any ideas?

Well, a bit heavier than what you want but...

http://www.hexatronengineering.com/prod02.htm
Old June 8th 05, 11:57 PM
Michael

some of the "Quickie" experimental A/C used the Onan engine

The Onan engine used in the Quickie was 18 hp.

Old June 9th 05, 02:12 AM
UltraJohn

Frank van der Hulst wrote:

UltraJohn wrote:
The Kawasaki 340 and 440 are in use in Ultralights but I think
they are two-stroke.

I'm fairly sure the 440 is 4 stroke. But I won't guarantee!

Nope -- 340 and 440 are two-strokes.

Take a look at the Kawasaki Snow mobile engines.

I thought that was what the Kaw340 and 440 were. But I won't guarantee!

Frank

Possibly we're both right!
I think the snowmobile 440 is 2 stroke I know at least one version of the
440 motorcycle is 4 stroke.
John
Old June 9th 05, 02:37 AM
UltraJohn

UltraJohn wrote:

http://www.bikez.com/bike/index.php?bike=19432
27HP @ 7000 not exzctly going to blow your doors away. It is a 4 stroke.

Old June 9th 05, 04:54 PM
Big John

Richard

e-mail my son in law, Robert, at and ask him your
question. He may be able to help you with some good advice.

Big John