Altimeter Calibration Height

Old April 6th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Young

Default Altimeter Calibration Height

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
news
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Yes, great idea.

I thought so.

Take an altimeter and set it on a table. Don't move it!

Turn the knob that adjusts the pressure scale to one extreme. Record
the
indication on the face of the altimeter. Now turn the knob to the other
extreme of travel. Record the indication on the face of the instrument.
Now the big question: which value recorded is the altitude at the level
of
the instrument?

One step at a time. Let's see where you are in your understanding of
altimetry before we move on. Answer the questions I posed to Neil Gould.

Yes, one step at a time. Tell me how an instrument that indicates its own
altitude can indicate two vastly different values without changing its
altitude? It is a very simple question.

Which altitude changed? Indicated altitude? Pressure altitude? Density
altitude? True altitude? (Does one presumes WGS84 when speaking of true
altitude?)

Old April 6th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
news
Yes, one step at a time. Tell me how an instrument that indicates its own
altitude can indicate two vastly different values without changing its
altitude? It is a very simple question.

Let's answer the questions in the order they were asked.

Ok, I understand that you don't have an answer.

Old April 6th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Ok, I understand that you don't have an answer.

Then you understand incorrectly. If I'm to help you achieve a proper
understanding of altimetry you'll have to let me run the class.

Old April 6th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
. ..

Your opinon of this is not shared by at least a few here, including me.

It's not a matter of opinion.

Considering the definitive answer to the original question provided by
Kev, and the fact that the presented information agrees with my
understanding and usage of the terms, I think it puts the question to
rest.

I'm glad you're content.

Old April 6th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Ok, I understand that you don't have an answer.

Then you understand incorrectly. If I'm to help you achieve a proper
understanding of altimetry you'll have to let me run the class.

We don't let students teach classes here.
Old April 6th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Steven P. McNicoll posted:

"Neil Gould" wrote in message

Your usage of the two terms.

I used them correctly.

Your opinon of this is not shared by at least a few here, including me.

Perhaps your understanding of them is
incorrect.

Considering the definitive answer to the original question provided by
Kev, and the fact that the presented information agrees with my
understanding and usage of the terms, I think it puts the question to
rest.

Neil

Old April 6th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

We don't let students teach classes here.

Good. Now, answer the questions and we can get back on track with your
education.

Old April 6th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:
"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .

That seems reasonable.

But what if the instrument itself is 100 ft tall?

Then it wouldn't fit in the airplane.

It could fit in a balloon.

;-)

Deck height Sean Trost Home Built 5 July 16th 04 03:46 AM
Volkslogger Calibration Ray Lovinggood Soaring 5 September 13th 03 04:56 PM
Height records? Paul Repacholi Soaring 2 September 7th 03 03:14 PM
Cloud Height Indicator Bob Bristow Home Built 0 August 11th 03 07:42 AM
Seat height problem Slav Inger Piloting 7 July 22nd 03 02:31 PM