AeroBid - Online Aviation Auction

Old April 3rd 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default AeroBid - Online Aviation Auction

On Apr 3, 3:41 pm, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
Newps wrote:
wrote:

Niche auction for aviation... Can it compete with eBay?

No.

Your
thoughts?

In order for there to be an auction there has to be stuff up for
auction.

I agree with Newps. It doesn't have a chance. But the way to prove me wrong
is take an aviation related item and post it on both and see which site
sells it for the most.

spcek, you compare Ebay to Wal-Mart and to a certain extent that is true.
I'd be willing to bet that even the big aviation products dealers, like
Sporty's would crap their pants if they heard that Wal-Mart was going to
start an aviation products department and there wouldn't be an independent
FBO left standing if they opened Wal-Mart FBOs accross the country.

The reason I mentioned Wal-Mart was because one time I suggested my
cousin to get some hunting supplies there.
He laughed at me stating that you don't go to Wal-Mart for that. You
go to a specialized store that deals with hunting/fishing
products. I am applying the same logic here. Sure, everyone has
heard of Wal-Mart and eBay but what about countless mom and pap
shops. Is specialization a good thing at all? Not to deviate from
the topic, but as a customer I don't always want the cheapest and most
accessible. I want the best from a huge selection. Look at Trade-a-
Plane. I actually pay for that :-)

Old April 3rd 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote:
Newps wrote:
wrote:

[...]

But when you are talking about an auction site (it doesn't matter if you are
talking about aviation or BeanyBabies) you are in fact trying to save money
or find something that you can't find locally. If it is the later then the
larger the forum the better chance you have of finding it. If you aren't you
just go to a retailer and pay full retail.

And your cousin is just being a snob. I'll bet Wal-Mart sells more hunting
and fishing supplies than any other two retailers combined.

Old April 4th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

wrote in message
oups.com...
Would you make the same accusation if you met me in person?

Based on what I know so far...yes.

Vaughn

Old April 4th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 3, 6:43 pm, "JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote:
wrote:

Would you make the same accusation if you met me in person? I just
want your honest opinion about eBay vs. niche auction sites... That
is all - no need to get paranoid on me...

I would. You've already posted this same thing three times today. I
don't think you want our opinion that badly.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

From all three forums (General Aviation, Student Pilot, Piloting)

where I have posted my question I have gathered the following info:

1. In order for a niche auction site to compete with eBay it has to
have high volume of traffice, lot of auctions and lower prices. Is
competition even the right term here? In fact this scenario (while a
bit hard to imagine at first) is doable as many niche sites continue
to exist based on the fact that people like specialized communities
much like this forum.
2. Comparing niche auction and eBay as comparing apples to oranges.
There are millions of auctions on eBay but realistically, aviation or
any other specialized auction type represent a small number. A
specialized auction site much like a specialized store in real life
draws enthusiasts and people who appreciate great choices and fair
prices. An example would be Best Buy vs. Micro Center if we were to
talk about computer hardware and software... Specialization can be a
good thing from both the consumer and business owner point of few.
3. Trade-a-Plane is a wonderful publication that has been around for
70 years. I would love to see something like that on the Internet in
the form of an auction. I hope AeroBid or whatever other entity out
there is able to pull it off. I am sick of eBays, Microsofts and Wal-
marts... I feel that competition can be a good thing in this world.
When you have 95% market domination by any entity you have less choice
in both service and cost savings. I have been to many actual (real
world) airplane/airplane part auctions around the country and have
found them exciting. I have made some good and a few bad deals (my
fault) there...

Old April 4th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote:

Would you make the same accusation if you met me in person? I just
want your honest opinion about eBay vs. niche auction sites... That
is all - no need to get paranoid on me...

I would. You've already posted this same thing three times
today. I don't think you want our opinion that badly.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

From all three forums (General Aviation, Student Pilot, Piloting)

[...]

1. The thing that works as an auction for e-bay is the large number bidders
they bring to your item. No niche site is ever going to bring even a small
percentage of the traffic.

2. E-Bay might as well be niche be cause of their design. I have two links
in my favorites one takes me to aircraft for sale and the other to aviation
related parts.

3. You need to see last week's edition of Penn and Tellers "Bull****" on
Showtime. They get a bunch of anti Wal-Mart people and show how most of
their argument against Wal-Mart, and other big box stores is, well,
Bull****.

One little bit of trivia from the show was that Wal-Mart saves the average
family over $2,000 per year.

You say you like competition but must really not. Competition means that at
some point there is going to be a winner. Competition is what built
Wal-Mart, E-Bay and just about any other big box you can think of. They won.
Nothing stops someone from stepping up to compete again but the bar has been
raised and the new competitor to clear it.

Disclaimer: I am a partial owner of both Wal-Mart and a couple of other Big
Box stores.

Old April 4th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Disclaimer: I am a partial owner of both Wal-Mart and a couple of other Big
Box stores.

We all are.