New/Old Video and Glider PR - John Denver & Janus

Old November 22nd 16, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

Default New/Old Video and Glider PR - John Denver & Janus

A crazy link took me to a John Denver video on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ChlFnXctE

It has been posted there a long while, but I posted into the comments, about the Janus perhaps being owned then by David Allen of Colorado. I think it is the Janus that was N2AA.

And I provided links to SSA and LetsGoGliding pages, if the link is viewed by more folks. We never know where folks will find an entre into gliding.

Perhaps some long time Colorado or Idaho pilots will tell me where that airfield is located. Telluride or Tetons or ??? The/A landing is shown as being solo (and less than movie-style pretty).

That Janus later came to live at Cal City for many years, and I have quite a few hours in the rear seat. It was later sold to a Brit, who exported it to Great Britain ~2006. I hope that lovely Schempp it still soaring, closer to her birthplace. Maybe someone over there will know?

It was a nice video to precipitate a flood of memories on a cold, blustery wavey fall day with rotor clouds out my back window.

Happy Thanksgiving week. We all have lots for which to be thankful.

Cindy B
Old November 22nd 16, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Cool find, Cindy! I like how he landed on the pavement, rolled out on the grass, and had the tail dolly on as he rolled to a stop!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Steve

Old November 22nd 16, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 6:30:08 AM UTC-5, Go Soaring wrote:
can you check the link details please, cant seem to locate video,
TIA

At 01:15 22 November 2016, Steve Leonard wrote:
Cool find, Cindy! I like how he landed on the pavement, rolled out on

the
grass, and had the tail dolly on as he rolled to a stop!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Steve

Worked for me yesterday.
Old November 22nd 16, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 2:30:08 PM UTC+3, Go Soaring wrote:
can you check the link details please, cant seem to locate video,

Maybe check your copy&pasting :-) It works for me in Russia and a dozen or so people I've forwarded it to in Russia, New Zealand, USA...
Old November 22nd 16, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Worked for me by just clicking on the link.

Done on an iPad, current OS, using Safari as a web browser.
Old November 22nd 16, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dieter B

On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 6:15:59 PM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
Cool find, Cindy! I like how he landed on the pavement, rolled out on the grass, and had the tail dolly on as he rolled to a stop!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Steve

Good Eye Steve

I just sent the story about that movie here. Gliders Of Aspen (us) used to maintain a high speed turn off via the grass infield in order to get off the runway fast on to the ramp where we often caught the wingtips of our swivel-wheeled gliders performing a 180 to get it ready for the next ride.
Of course the dolly was put on to the Janus after David the pilot got out of the plane. We did not bother to take it off for the solo taxi with JD.

Think Up

Dieter
Gliders Of spen
Old November 22nd 16, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dieter B

Good Morning Cindy

This Janus N68G was part of my fleet. It was flown by David Johns then in the back seat since JD was not quite ready in his training to fly it solo. I was the tow pilot. The owner of the eagle had gone up on the chairlft at Aspen Highlands and launched the eagle from there. They were trying to get some frames with the eagle to fly formation with the glider, but in reality that is hard to do because the speeds the two fly. They came close to each other some time but then you see the eagle go into attack mode. With today's cams while circling in thermals possibly with 2 gliders in cams that could be done now. The flick showed the Maroon Bells an Aspen Icon and Lodges peak is the launching point of the eagle with it's owner.

I met you when I picked up a Stemme basket case at your place. The Janus I sold to a pilot who flies the ridge in PA which happened about 10 years before I picked up that Stemme. That one I flew until not long ago when I retired from flying because of health reasons.

Think Up
Dieter
Gliders Of Aspen

Old November 22nd 16, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 11/22/2016 9:01 AM, Dieter B wrote:
[...]

Snip...

Wow. Very nicely done Blast-from-the-Past. Kudos to everyone involved...and
"Thank You!" to those responsible for "YouTubing" it.

Bob W.

Old November 23rd 16, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 12:13:12 PM UTC-6, BobW wrote:
[...]

I believe it was David Jones of Aspen.