Where to go in Seattle?

Old September 19th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Where to go in Seattle?

This is probably a little off topic... But I fly out of Boeing Field
and wonder I can go anywhere within 1hr of flight for a fun day. I know
San Juan island is interesting but what are other suggestions??? I dont
have a car so wherever I land, there must be car rental as well. Thanks.

Old September 19th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote in message
ups.com...
This is probably a little off topic... But I fly out of Boeing Field
and wonder I can go anywhere within 1hr of flight for a fun day. I know
San Juan island is interesting but what are other suggestions??? I dont
have a car so wherever I land, there must be car rental as well. Thanks.

That is the least off topic post I've seen all week. Sorry I'm not familiar
with the area and can help.

Old September 19th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I suppose you know then that Roche Harbor, Friday Harbor, and Eastsound
are all within walking distance of the local town/harbor...

Mount St. Helens and Mount Rainier are fun to fly around. Also, if
you like the beach, fly to Ocean Shores (W04) and land at the airport
there. There is a public bus that can take you into town and to the
beach that stops at the airport.

I flew into 0S9 (Jefferson County) on occasion, but I don't remember if
there was anything within walking distance.

Dean

I flew to Friday Harbor before but it was just a small little town with
some shopping place and restaurant. I wonder if I land in Friday
Harbor, how far is it to go somewhere for kayaking? Is it cold by late
Sep there?

I have never been to Ocean Shores. What else is there beside the beach?

Thanks

Old September 19th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

wrote in message
ups.com...
This is probably a little off topic... But I fly out of Boeing Field
and wonder I can go anywhere within 1hr of flight for a fun day. I know
San Juan island is interesting but what are other suggestions??? I dont
have a car so wherever I land, there must be car rental as well. Thanks.

If you Google this newsgroup for "Seattle" and "destination" or similar
keywords, you'll turn up a fair amount of previous discussions specifically
related to your question.

IMHO, there are lots of places that are good for going for a "fun day", but
I'm wondering if you're looking for a "fun day" why limit yourself to 1 hour
flying time, or conversely if you want to limit yourself to a 1 hour flight,
why does the destination need to provide a day's worth of fun?

As far as specifics go:

Around here, IMHO the San Juans offer the best bang for the buck. They are
very close by airplane, and yet offer a wide variety of options, at several
airports. In addition to Roche Harbor, Friday Harbor (both on San Juan
Island), and Eastsound (on Orcas Island) there is Lopez Aiport on Lopez
Island. Last I checked there wasn't a car rental at Lopez, but on the other
islands there is. On Lopez, you can often get a ride from a friendly
passerby, and there's a one-woman taxi service (again, last I checked...that
was a few years ago though).

I am most familiar with Orcas Island. There are outdoor activities
(waterfront park just south of town, and a wonderful state park at Mount
Constitution to the east), horse riding or golf (various places), the
artists' barn in Olga. Of course, in most of the major population centers
(West Sound, Eastsound, Olga) there are places to rent kayaks, bikes, etc.

Similar should be easily available on San Juan Island (which if anything is
busier than Orcas), and to a lesser degree Lopez. Keep in mind that the
most options are available only during the summer, with the main "season"
generally being between April and October. Many places shut down altogether
in the winter, restricting your choices.

Frankly, even flying to the islands once a week, you could spend probably
two or three seasons getting to know everything you can do up there, and by
then a third of the vendors would probably have changed, allowing you the
option of stretching your exploration out another season.

Another favorite of mine is Cashmere, WA. Very short runway, and a lengthy
walk into town, but it's still a fun, cute little town. Home to
Washington's "Aplets and Cotlets" industry.

There's an air museum at Olympia Airport, and beach-front activities at
Ocean Shores or West Port. Jefferson County airport is a pretty long walk
from downtown Port Townsend, but I'll bet transportation is available
(haven't had a need to check, personally). Paine Field (in Everett) has the
Museum of Flight's restoration center.

Personally, I've found a lot of satisfaction just flying to an airport where
there's lunch nearby. That opens up even more possibilities. But even if
you're specifically looking for a full day trip, the above should get you
started pretty well.

Pete

Old September 19th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

Best is FLightcraft in PDX. They rent out new crew cars at $25/day and you
can go hiking in the Columbia Gorge.

Karl

ups.com...

Old September 20th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Consider one other option if you haven't already explored it. The most
fun flying experience I've ever had in Seattle is going down to Lake
Union to Jim Chrysler's Seattle Seaplanes and learning seaplane
piloting in his 1946 Stinson. The wet rate is not bad at all and the
experience is wonderful. As if that weren't enough, you're learning
this fun form of flying in one of the most beautiful and varied areas
of the country.

http://www.seattleseaplanes.com

Greg Chapman
http://www.mousetrax.com/winds.html