Advice on returning to Soaring after over 20 years

Old November 19th 17, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Advice on returning to Soaring after over 20 years

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 19:23:27 +0100, John wrote:

Dunflyin wrote:

I am surprised that in all the replies nobody has mentioned the phrase
that I kept being told when I returned to gliding after a long break -
“We don’t do it that way any moreâ€?.

Pre-takeoff checks, CBSIFTCB. No, it is now CBSIFTCBE.

Raise my index finger and call “take up slackâ€?. No, not any

more.

Religiously comply with the maximum winch launch speed at all times.
Not any more. Now extra speed is accepted/preferred during the initial
part of the launch. 15 knots above the placard speed is not a problem.

Once the glider is established in the climb, keep pulling the stick back
to maintain 50 knots or 48 knots if you are really trying for maximum
height. No, we DEFINITELY do not do that any more.

Flying the circuit, turn 90 degrees from downwind to base leg.
No, now it is two 45 degree turns.

All gliders were moved by hand, now they are towed. Gliders were landed
back at the launch point, aiming for two or three wingspans from any
glider waiting for a launch. Launches were not delayed by gliders
overruning the launch point.

To achieve a fast launch rate, the strop / weak link was not changed
between launches - K21, K13 and Ka8 were all launched using the same
weak link. We DEFINITELY do not do that any more.

A downwind landing was frowned upon. Now it is an acceptable option
following a failed launch or other contingency.

What other changes to procedures have returning pilots noticed?

It costs more.

Gliders have a lot of electronic kit.

Your airfield is under pressure from from "developers" who want to turn
it into a housing estate or a "retail opportunity".

Your club has a Child Protection Officer.

Some of the private gliders have jet engines while others have two-bladed
folding props on each side of their nose.

The flying list at the launch point has been replaced by a booking system.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Old November 20th 17, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

So....some want an "athletic supporter"?

Never mind......

Maybe they don't like how teams are selected......

Never mind......different thread.......errrrr....threads.......Wilbur.....or ......errrrr....never Frikkin mind.

Ignore this post......ugh.....

Sigh.....is it Monday yet?