Is Your Airplane Susceptible To Mis Fu eling? A Simple Test For Fuel Contamination.

Old June 10th 04, 01:42 PM
Nathan Young

Default Is Your Airplane Susceptible To Mis Fu eling? A Simple Test For Fuel Contamination.

I once stopped at an FBO in Minneapolis with a Seneca. The lineman
brought out the JET-A truck. Scary to think what could happen if I
wasn't paying attention.

I'm sure the larger piston twins (Navajo, 421, etc) have this happen
even more often.

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:33:00 GMT, "Helix"
wrote:

For more hints on Precise Flying and Safety...Click Here
A simple test of AVGAS for Jet Fuel Contamination
Fred H. Quarles ATP-CFII(resume)

Fueling Safety

Certain piston aircraft are particularly susceptible to mis-fueling
incidents and you should be especially vigilant if you are flying one of
these birds.

Among them are the TURBO charged versions of many airplanes. In the desire
to be the hottest thing going, manufacturers often labeled their aircraft
"TURBO" or some such designation. And inadequately trained linemen thinking
that these were kerosene burning jet airplanes of some sort often put JET
FUEL where AVGAS should have gone.

This created a lethal comgination for many unsuspecting pilots. The plane
would start and apparently run ok, even enough for takeoff, but would start
having engine detonation problems about the time the point of no return was
reached on takeoff, causing a engine failure shortly after takeoff at low
altitude, resulting in a fatal crash."

This scenario has been repeated many times, usually with some pilot and
passengers getting killed.

Aero Commander aircraft seem to be particularly susceptible to this sort of
mis-fueling, as do Piper Turbo Arrow aircraft and other airplanes with TURBO
painted on them

IF You Suspect Fuel Contamination
Do NOT FLY!!!
Check it out first.

A simple way to test for jet fuel contamination of AVGAS is to take a fuel
sample, put a drop of fuel on a piece of white paper.

If there is a 5% or more concentration of jet fuel in the avgas, it will
leave a visible oily residue, turning the paper translucent. If it is avgas
only, the avgas will evaporate cleanly and leave no trace.
(I developed this test and gave it to the AOPA Air Safety Foundation. It was
later validated by NASA. You can get a copy of the report from AOPA ASF,
Frederick Airport, Frederick, MD)

Another way to avoid fueling accidents is to
BE PRESENT EVERY SINGLE TIME WHEN YOUR PLANE IS RE-FUELED.
NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON THIS PROCEEDING.

Always VISUALLY Check the fuel truck to be sure you are getting the
appropriate fuel Yourself. LOOK AT THE FUEL TRUCK.

Always VISUALLY CHECK THE FUEL LEVEL YOURSELF AFTER FUELING.
(lOOK INSIDE THE TANK)

ALWAYS put the fuel cap back on YOURSELF. Check that it is secure so it
won't come loose in flight.

NEVER RELY ON A LINEMAN FOR THESE PARTICULAR INSPECTIONS.

The Most Common Cause of Inflight Engine Failure
Running out of fuel is the most common cause of in flight engine failure.
If you follow the safety procedures above, you can go a long way to
preventing an engine failure.

EVERY Flight

(1) Watch the re-fueling. BE PRESENT while this is going on.
(2) Visually make sure they are puttinG the right sort of fuel in the
aircraft. (the truck is marked AVGAS or JET FUEL.... Look at it
(3) Look in the tank after the fueling and KNOW what the fuel level is.
(4) ALWAYS Put the fuel cap back on YOURSELF. Make sure it is aligned
properly and closes properly.
If it comes loose your fuel will siphon out without your being aware of what
is happening.
(5) Keep a LARGE RESERVE of fuel. The lower your experience level the more
important this is.
It gives you the luxury of time to sort out a problem if you are lost,
dis-oriented, or otherwise have a time consuming problem in flight. If you
are low on fuel, your anxiety level will increase exponentially, making it
difficult to think under stress and increase your chance of an accident.

After my first experience long ago in nearly running out of gas, I have made
it a practice, to KEEP ONE FULL TANK in reserve. I use a little bit of it in
flight to confirm it is not contaminated and I when I am sure it is ok, I
use it for the next takeoff and keep the other tank full for the next leg.
This way, I minimize further the chance of getting caught by surprise,
either on takeoff or landing, with contaminated fuel.

Losing an engine on takeoff, at night, or on landing is VERY DISCONCERTING.

Today's navigation equipment makes it possible to navigate more precisely.
However this stuff can and does fail. If you are low on fuel when it happens
(the usual situation), then your chance for running out of gas goes way up.

This is even more true at night, in haze, or limited visibility conditions

Fred H. Quarles ATP-CFII (resume)
888-595-9131
http://IFRGROUNDSCHOOL.cjb.net
http://10day.cjb.net
http://go.to/hints
http://ferrypilot.cjb.net

Old June 11th 04, 03:53 AM
Morgans

"Vigo" wrote in message
This happens lots with turbine conversions.

Damn, dude, - TRIM. That was a 6k post for 6 words.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old June 14th 04, 04:43 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
I once stopped at an FBO in Minneapolis with a Seneca. The lineman
brought out the JET-A truck. Scary to think what could happen if I
wasn't paying attention.

I'm sure the larger piston twins (Navajo, 421, etc) have this happen
even more often.

There's going to be an even bigger problem now with diesel
piston engines starting to become more common in GA.

Paul

Old June 14th 04, 06:13 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Particularly when there are Spam Cans with diesel conversions. "You want
Jet-A in that Skyhawk!? Are you crazy?"

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America