Disc Brake Retrofit kit from Wings & Wheels -- LS7 installation

Old September 25th 17, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gianni Isotope

Default Disc Brake Retrofit kit from Wings & Wheels -- LS7 installation

I am thinking of installing the disc brake retrofit that is available from Wings & Wheels on my LS7, and am looking to know what I might be getting myself in for (level of difficulty, satisfaction with the results, etc.)

Has anyone installed the retrofit on an LS7, or another LS glider that has the rudder pedal-activated brakes? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.
Old September 25th 17, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

If the installation would include a motorcycle type hand grip to mount
on the stick, you would be very pleased with the installation.Â* If it
retains the heel operated brakes, you would simply notice a big
improvement in braking.

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 25th 17, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 9:26:29 AM UTC-7, Gianni Isotope wrote:
I am thinking of installing the disc brake retrofit that is available from Wings & Wheels on my LS7, and am looking to know what I might be getting myself in for (level of difficulty, satisfaction with the results, etc.)

Has anyone installed the retrofit on an LS7, or another LS glider that has the rudder pedal-activated brakes? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

You would have a bike cable going to a hydraulic cylinder located by the wheel?
I did that installation on my Discus (Tost disc brake), and found that the stretch in the cable offset much of the benefits of the disc brake. The system was better than the standard drum brake, but it was not possible to put the glider on its nose -- putting more pressure on the handle mostly just stretched the cable and had little effect on the brake.

I think a better system is the Beringer system with the hydraulic cylinder in the brake handle.

If you have a standard airworthiness glider, be careful about installing a new brake system.
Old September 25th 17, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I would hazard a guess that if you went to a decent bicycle shop (MTN bikes or downhill bikes) or motorcycle shop with your cable and outer sheath, they can supply a larger cable and sheath that won't stretch for not much money. Big thing is length and what fitting on the cable end.
I would be surprised if an inspector caught a larger cable diameter during an annual or ramp check.
Old September 25th 17, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 5:26:29 AM UTC+13, Gianni Isotope wrote:
I am thinking of installing the disc brake retrofit that is available from Wings & Wheels on my LS7, and am looking to know what I might be getting myself in for (level of difficulty, satisfaction with the results, etc.)

Has anyone installed the retrofit on an LS7, or another LS glider that has the rudder pedal-activated brakes? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

I have flown an LS4 that had a disk fitted.

Before the disk it has horrible. You had to stand on the pedals to get noticeable braking, then when you stopped the brake jammed on because it was hot. Made it hard to push off the runway.

After the disk was fitted you got easy to control braking that didn't tip the glider on the nose, didn't overheat, and was generally very pleasant.

I'm not sure what disk/kit it was, but it was in the USA.
Old September 25th 17, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Common "fix" for drums that lock, rotate them backward a bit (maybe 1 revolution) to disengage the shoes.
Old September 26th 17, 11:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I installed a disk brake kit on my LS6a. I had to create the complete hydraulic circuit form the reservoir to the cylinder (including the venting) and the fixing. The kit I used had a form one certificate but included only the disk with the clamp and the cylinder. No need to modify the existing bowden cable.

Before the installation it was nearly impossible to brake. After it was good, reliable and accurate.

Carlo