Airplane shot down in Colombia

Old June 30th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aviv Hod[_2_]

Default Airplane shot down in Colombia

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=063_1182300981

This is shocking to me on so many levels - extrajudicial execution on
tape with Americans involved. Drug smuggling is a problem and all, but
this isn't like a police car chase where there is clear danger to
bystanders. Couldn't the authorities avoid deadly force?!? From the
tape it seems like the authorities were very concerned about the
proximity of the border but even if they would have had to let the plane
get away, that is no excuse for their trigger finger to do the police work!

Does anyone have any more context on this incident? Anyone know how
common this is? There was a family of missionaries that was shot down a
few years back in a similar anti-drug operation. Makes me sick.

-Aviv
Old June 30th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:44:40 -0400, Aviv Hod
wrote in
:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=063_1182300981

This is shocking to me on so many levels - extrajudicial execution on
tape with Americans involved. Drug smuggling is a problem and all, but
this isn't like a police car chase where there is clear danger to
bystanders. Couldn't the authorities avoid deadly force?!? From the
tape it seems like the authorities were very concerned about the
proximity of the border but even if they would have had to let the plane
get away, that is no excuse for their trigger finger to do the police work!

Does anyone have any more context on this incident? Anyone know how
common this is? There was a family of missionaries that was shot down a
few years back in a similar anti-drug operation. Makes me sick.

-Aviv

I presume you are aware of a similar incident in which a missionary
aircraft was shot down by mistake several years ago.

Old June 30th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:44:40 -0400, Aviv Hod
wrote in
:

There was a family of missionaries that was shot
down a few years back in a similar anti-drug operation. Makes me
sick.

I presume you are aware of a similar incident in which a missionary
aircraft was shot down by mistake several years ago.

You obviously presume correctly.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old June 30th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Aviv Hod wrote:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=063_1182300981

This is shocking to me on so many levels - extrajudicial execution on
tape with Americans involved. Drug smuggling is a problem and all, but
this isn't like a police car chase where there is clear danger to
bystanders. Couldn't the authorities avoid deadly force?!? From the
tape it seems like the authorities were very concerned about the
proximity of the border but even if they would have had to let the plane
get away, that is no excuse for their trigger finger to do the police work!

Does anyone have any more context on this incident? Anyone know how
common this is? There was a family of missionaries that was shot down a
few years back in a similar anti-drug operation. Makes me sick.

-Aviv

So what do you propose?

Copy his tail number down and terminate the chase? How would you STOP
this aircraft if the pilot doesnt want to cooperate?

Tell us the answer.
Old June 30th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, John T posted:

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:44:40 -0400, Aviv Hod
wrote in
:

There was a family of missionaries that was shot
down a few years back in a similar anti-drug operation. Makes me
sick.

I presume you are aware of a similar incident in which a missionary
aircraft was shot down by mistake several years ago.

You obviously presume correctly.

You spelled "obliviously" wrong. ;-)

Neil

Old June 30th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Dave S" wrote in message nk.net...
Aviv Hod wrote:
[...]

Why bother. Illegal drugs just provide a way for the bad guys to get more money...

Old June 30th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

"Aviv Hod" wrote in message
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=063_1182300981

There was a family of missionaries that was shot down a few years back in
a similar anti-drug operation. Makes me sick.

-Aviv

And people think this country is the land of the free hahahaha sorry it's
the land of the buck! 80% of our population is on some sort of drug! Almost
anything you do now is a crime and half are classified as a felony so they
can disarm civilians so our government can try control the masses even
further.

Old June 30th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Aviv Hod" wrote in message
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=063_1182300981

This is shocking to me on so many levels - extrajudicial execution on tape
with Americans involved. Drug smuggling is a problem and all, but this
isn't like a police car chase where there is clear danger to bystanders.
Couldn't the authorities avoid deadly force?!? From the tape it seems
like the authorities were very concerned about the proximity of the border
but even if they would have had to let the plane get away, that is no
excuse for their trigger finger to do the police work!

Does anyone have any more context on this incident? Anyone know how
common this is? There was a family of missionaries that was shot down a
few years back in a similar anti-drug operation. Makes me sick.

-Aviv

I found myself pulling for the twin to make it. Not that I want the drugs to
get through, but I would much prefer to arrest a bunch of people, rather
than having the poor schmuck (sp?) in the left seat of the airplane be the
only one to pay a price.

If (big, big, IF in Central/South America) the local authorities on the
destination end of the flight would jump in and grab everyone at the
delivery point, that would seem to be a more just and effective treatment..
Of course, the local policia at the destination are probably getting a
payoff and might not be happy with anyone putting a hurt on their
pocketbook...

KB

Old June 30th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"NW_Pilot"

Almost anything you do now is a crime and half are classified as a felony
so they can disarm civilians so our government can try control the masses
even further.

****, don't make me laugh.

Counting out guns that are used for hunting only, the FELONS have 3/4ths of
the rest of the guns that are in private hands.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 30th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

If (big, big, IF in Central/South America) the local authorities on the
destination end of the flight would jump in and grab everyone at the
delivery point

The tape refers to them being "only 5 miles from the frontier" where
he'd be "home free".

I would guess that this refers to the border of a country that isn't
going to extradite the bad guys.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Colombia Fails to Find US Navy Helicopter Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 December 24th 05 11:36 PM
PEZ Parting Shot John Shelton Soaring 12 January 26th 05 07:30 AM
Shot at/Shot back Bob McKellar Military Aviation 33 March 11th 04 07:53 PM
Presidents What Has Been Shot At Bob McKellar Military Aviation 80 February 20th 04 02:02 AM
be careful if you fly in Colombia Gary L. Drescher Piloting 1 August 20th 03 02:16 AM