Allergies and Flying -- Cured!

Old October 6th 04, 11:49 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Allergies and Flying -- Cured!

Last spring, the topic came up here about flying with hay fever. As a
life-long hay fever sufferer, I know what it's like to spend weeks on end
living with a box of kleenex, stuffed head, and itchy eyes -- so I was VERY
interested in what was discussed.

Someone here suggested "Flonase" nasal spray as a potential relief for hay
fever symptoms. Since I was already taking Allegra (and have for years) --
and Mary was already taking Flonase -- it was pretty easy for me to
experiment with the two. I immediately started using Flonase in the
morning, and taking my usual Allegra dosage twice daily.

Almost immediately I noticed a complete abatement of symptoms, but I wanted
to wait till the worst part of hay fever season (for me, fall) was over,
before passing final judgment.

Well, with the coming of the first frost (marking the official end of hay
fever season in Iowa) the results are in. I am cured.

For the first time in my life, I spent an entire summer outdoors, boating,
hiking, camping, mowing lawns, swimming -- with NO ALLERGY SYMPTOMS.
Occasionally my eyes would still itch a bit -- but I had NO running nose,
and NO sneezing fits.

You can't believe how amazing this is for me. My sneezing fits in late
summer are legendary, often going on to the point of hyperventilation. My
wife would annually buy another dozen handkerchiefs, and I would easily go
through several each day.

This year, I have not used ANY handkerchiefs. None. It's almost
unbelievable.

At my annual checkup earlier this month, I mentioned this miracle to my
doctor, who confirmed that others have found the same relief from the
combination of Allegra and Flonase. He immediately gave me a prescription
of my own for Flonase, and congratulated me on discovering a "cure." (I
thought for sure he was going to bitch at me for "mixing and matching," but
he did not.)

A million thanks goes out to whomever suggested it. You have truly changed
my life for the better!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 7th 04, 02:14 AM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Last spring, the topic came up here about flying with hay fever.

Snip

He immediately gave me a prescription
of my own for Flonase, and congratulated me on discovering a "cure." (I
thought for sure he was going to bitch at me for "mixing and matching,"

but
he did not.)

A million thanks goes out to whomever suggested it. You have truly

changed
my life for the better!
--
Jay Honeck

I don't think I was the original, but I did my share of lobbying. Glad it
helped.

I use it year around, and you might consider it too, if you have any
problems with mold. That is one of my worst allergies. Around here, mold
has been in no short supply, this summer!
--
Jim in NC

---

Old October 7th 04, 05:09 AM
Rutger

My doctor has been giving me Flonase and Allegra for about three years
now and I can also attest to the same results. I too have been a
sufferer of chronic sinus problems all my life, but this year I found
I hardly needed to use either... very infrequently. Maybe I'm finally
getting over this ailment for good. Flonase is magic stuff, but it is
very pricey. Sure was nice when the doc was handing out the free
sample bottles of it.
Old October 7th 04, 05:48 AM
Dean Wilkinson

Hi Jay,

I use a combination of Flonase and Claritin which work well for me...
glad you figured out a way to deal with it. Hay fever season is in
full tilt here in Idaho with the sage brush bloom. No frost yet here
in Boise.

Dean

Old October 7th 04, 05:56 AM
Morgans

"Dean Wilkinson" wrote

I use a combination of Flonase and Claritin which work well for me...
my life for the better!

Allegra vs. Claritin.....Nearly the same product, from different companies.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old October 7th 04, 03:34 PM
Jay Honeck

No frost yet here
in Boise.

We've had an extraordinarily abrupt fall here in Iowa.

I literally went from wearing shorts to wearing a winter coat, overnight.
We're finally closing the pool down today at the inn -- which gives you some
idea of the abruptness of the change!

However, we've had an absolutely awesome Summer and Fall for flying.
Whenever one of those huge storms would roll into Florida (and then, up the
eastern seaboard) the air around here would become crystal clear, with blue
skies and light winds.

Thanks, Florida!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 7th 04, 03:45 PM
Jim Burns

About 2 weeks ago there was a short news blip on MSNBC that quoted a medical
report stating that oral allergy medications simply aren't effective enough
and the nasal medications are much better. The combination being the most
effective treatment. Having had allergies and hay fever all my life, been
through all the shots, each new anti-histamine and decongestant that's come
down the line, I never found any relief until they came out with the nasal
medications such as Vancenase, Beconase, and Flonase. I've also noticed
that now that I am not constantly congested in the Fall, I no longer have
the previously annual Fall sinus infections.

Congrats Jay, glad you found some relief!.

Jim Burns

Old October 8th 04, 01:47 AM
Cockpit Colin

Flonase is magic stuff, but it is very pricey.

Can't be any more expensive than aeroplanes