Registering a Warbird with the FAA (Experimental Operating Limitations)

Old October 9th 05, 03:46 PM
john smith

I'm not buying anything, I'm trying to get my BD-5J's airworthiness
certificate issued. FAA is not exactly very cooperative, and there are no
DAR's here. I'm getting it sorted out, plane's been ready for the final
condition inspection for weeks now, but lack of a place where I can take it
to get it inspected, and lack of cooperation from the weather, keeps putting
things off.

Juan, you're in PR!
The only federal agency you need to avoid when you fly is Customs and
Border Patrol! :-))
The end of hurricane season is only another month and a half away.
Old October 9th 05, 07:50 PM
Bret Ludwig

Juan Jimenez wrote:
"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message

I suppose that needs to be pointed out, of course. Few people know, for
example, that some P-51's operate under standard airworthiness certificates,
for example.

I'm not buying anything, I'm trying to get my BD-5J's airworthiness
certificate issued. FAA is not exactly very cooperative, and there are no
DAR's here. I'm getting it sorted out, plane's been ready for the final
condition inspection for weeks now, but lack of a place where I can take it
to get it inspected, and lack of cooperation from the weather, keeps putting
things off.

Yes, thanks to Cavalier. It's a shame that all the beautiful work they
did has been obliterated so every old guy with a big wallet and a small
you-know-what can have a fake "authentic" wartime Mustang. I always
hoped SOMEONE would preserve a full-tilt Cavalier Mustang in all its
JFK/MM era glory.

Is a -5J treated differently than a recip or turboprop (evidently,
there are...)5? Forgive my ignorance, I've been out of school a long
time.

Old October 9th 05, 11:56 PM

Unlikey it will happen tomorrow - it's a Federal Holiday (Columbus
Day).

David Johnson

Old October 10th 05, 03:14 AM
Montblack

wrote)
Unlikey it will happen tomorrow - it's a Federal Holiday (Columbus Day).

Yippie!! No rush hour traffic. g

Montblack
Old October 10th 05, 03:35 AM
George Patterson

Montblack wrote:

Unlikey it will happen tomorrow - it's a Federal Holiday (Columbus Day).

Yippie!! No rush hour traffic. g

Most companies in this area will be open. A lot of people of Italian descent
will take a vacation day, however, so traffic *will* be reduced.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 10th 05, 05:03 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article .com,
" wrote:

Actually its a Pilatus P-3, Lycoming piston engined trainer. It is the
Swiss equivalent of a T-34, but it was never certified in the US, hence
the Experimental Exhibition categorization. Its built a lot heavier
that a T-34 and they all have a lot less total time than the T-34s do
(they all seem to be between 3000 and 4000 hours TT vs. 10,000 hours on
a lot of theT-34s).

This is the great-grandfather of the current USAF T-6A Texan II. It
evolved from the P-3 to the PC-7 with the addition of the PT-6 engine
and some airframe mods, then to the PC-9 with ejection seats and a
larger turbine, and then to the T-6A with even more power &
modifications for the USAF.

Eric

I had the misfortune of seeing a friend (and his son-in-law) die in one.
We were in a flight of five (P-3 leading) when he suddenly got oil all
over his windshield. The engine had thrown a rod. Two of his wingmen
stayed with him to help guide him to a safe emergency landing, but he
hit an oak tree, which cartwheeled him into the ground. Remarkably, the
fuselage stayed intact, but neither occupant survived.

I had flown with him previously -- the plane is very heavy and needs all
the power it can get, but the controls are light and well-balanced.

The GO 435 and GO-480 Lycomings need someone who knows them well to work
on them and take some care in flying them.
Old October 10th 05, 10:13 AM
Montblack

("George Patterson" wrote)
Most companies in this area will be open. A lot of people of Italian
descent will take a vacation day, however, so traffic *will* be reduced.

Federal, State, County, Metro, City, and School District employees not
going to work - poof! No more rush hour traffic.

We have a banker in this house who is going to work on Monday. Going to work
at 75 mph :-)

Montblack

Old October 11th 05, 01:11 AM
Juan Jimenez

"john smith" wrote in message
I'm not buying anything, I'm trying to get my BD-5J's airworthiness
certificate issued. FAA is not exactly very cooperative, and there are no
DAR's here. I'm getting it sorted out, plane's been ready for the final
condition inspection for weeks now, but lack of a place where I can take
it
to get it inspected, and lack of cooperation from the weather, keeps
putting
things off.

Juan, you're in PR!
The only federal agency you need to avoid when you fly is Customs and
Border Patrol! :-))
The end of hurricane season is only another month and a half away.

You have no idea what it's like not being able to hire someone local who
owns a brain to do the airworthiness inspection. I wish I had the money to
bring a DAR from the mainland. Save myself a ton of grief.

Old October 11th 05, 01:13 AM
Juan Jimenez

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...

Is a -5J treated differently than a recip or turboprop (evidently,
there are...)5? Forgive my ignorance, I've been out of school a long
time.

In this case it is because it was started in Australia, more than 51% was
done there, the builder is a well known CASA technical advisor but he never
kept logs or pics. Hence, the FAA does not want to consider giving me
amateur-built, even though that is the way it was registered in Australia
(VH-JRQ). So I'm stuck in Exp/Exhibition, and category IV, to boot, the
catch-all category. It wouldn't be so bad except that I picked the one place
in the US where I should not have done this.