LS4 Water valve control rod wanted

Old February 20th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LS4 Water valve control rod wanted

I managed to lose one of the two approximately 18" metal water-valve
control rods for my LS-4 (don't ask - its a long and embarrasing
story). This is the rod that extends from the pilot control on the
right side of the cockpit back to the bulkhead. I contacted the factory
(now DG) about obtaining a replacement and was told they are no longer
in stock, and re-manufacturing them will probably be prohibitively
expensive.

Anyone know a source (new, used, whatever) for this part? I guess I
could try stealing from another LS4 at a contest, but that could have
'negative consequences' ;-).

TIA,

Frank(X3)

Old February 20th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Frank,

Supposedly AMS Flight in Slovenia is producing the LS 4 again (or is
going to). Check their website for contact details:
http://www.ams-flight.si.
I know that Robert Mudd (robertmudd1u at aol.com) based here at Moriaty
is an AMS agent, maybe he can help you as well.

Markus

Old February 21st 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Frank,

How tough would it be to fabricate a new one?

Course it would be handy if you could find the old one so you could copy it
(g).

bumper

oups.com...

Old February 21st 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Earlier, bumper wrote:

How tough would it be to fabricate a new one?

That was pretty much my first response.

I would be inclined to go get a hank of stainless steel rod, bend it
and thread it as appropriate, and install it (if the aircraft is
Experimental) or have it installed in accordance with the FAA's rules
regarding owner-manufacturered parts (if Standard certificated).

I believe that the LS4 has two of those rods, one each right and left,
and that they're generally mirror-images of each other. So you could
copy one to make the other.

If there are forks or clevis or rod ends required, I'd try to buy
matching parts from:

http://www.mcmaster.com

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.