Destination Suggestions

Old July 2nd 04, 03:44 PM
Matt Young

Default Destination Suggestions

I'm trying to build x-country time for my instrument rating and I am
looking for suggestions of interesting airports/places to visit. I'm
based at Ft. Smith, AR and wondering if anyone has any particular
suggestions. Looking for things in 250, maybe 300 NM if it's really
interesting, things I can get to in a skyhawk in a day lol.

Thanks,
Matt

Old July 2nd 04, 07:27 PM
Gene Seibel

Matt Young wrote in message ink.net...
I'm trying to build x-country time for my instrument rating and I am
looking for suggestions of interesting airports/places to visit. I'm
based at Ft. Smith, AR and wondering if anyone has any particular
suggestions. Looking for things in 250, maybe 300 NM if it's really
interesting, things I can get to in a skyhawk in a day lol.

Thanks,
Matt

Fly to Hutchinson, KS, take a taxi or courtesy car to the Cosmosphere
and see Apollo 13 and much more. http://www.cosmo.org/
--
Gene Seibel
Space Ship One - http://pad39a.com/gene/ss1.html
Old July 2nd 04, 07:39 PM
Jay Honeck

Fly into Gaston's Fly-In fishing resort, near Lakeview, AR. They have their
own picturesque air strip (3M0), right alongside the White River.

I just took my son there on Tuesday, and we had a great couple of days of
fishing and bike riding!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 3rd 04, 01:47 AM
Ben Haas

Matt Young wrote in message ink.net...
I'm trying to build x-country time for my instrument rating and I am
looking for suggestions of interesting airports/places to visit. I'm
based at Ft. Smith, AR and wondering if anyone has any particular
suggestions. Looking for things in 250, maybe 300 NM if it's really
interesting, things I can get to in a skyhawk in a day lol.

Thanks,
Matt

How about a trip to Alexis Park Inn to see Jays KOOL hotel theme. I
might pull off a trip there on the way to OSH if I can get away from
the Hole.

Ben Haas N801BH Jackson Hole WY.
Old July 3rd 04, 03:36 AM
Nathan Young

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:44:12 GMT, Matt Young
wrote:

I'm trying to build x-country time for my instrument rating and I am
looking for suggestions of interesting airports/places to visit. I'm
based at Ft. Smith, AR and wondering if anyone has any particular
suggestions. Looking for things in 250, maybe 300 NM if it's really
interesting, things I can get to in a skyhawk in a day lol.

Not sure about specific flying destinations, but several good sized
Cities are within Skyhawk day range...

Dallas-FTW: 197 nm
Memphis: 216 nm
Kansas City: 237 nm
Saint Louis: 280 nm
New Orleans: 385

Old July 3rd 04, 03:53 PM
Larry Dighera

wrote:

I'm trying to build x-country time for my instrument rating and I am
looking for suggestions of interesting airports/places to visit. I'm
based at Ft. Smith, AR and wondering if anyone has any particular
suggestions. Looking for things in 250, maybe 300 NM if it's really
interesting, things I can get to in a skyhawk in a day lol.

Thanks,
Matt

Consider Beaty Nevada.
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KBTY
While there is no published instrument approach, there are other
attractions.

http://vistalinks.com/vistalinks.cfm?P=AB0075
http://vistalinks.com/vistalinks.cfm?P=AB0076
http://www.cathousechips.com/franstr1.html
http://www.reviewjournal.com/photos/yucca/15.html
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...nch&style=HIGH

Make arrangements in advance for fuel to be at the airport for your
return trip.

Old July 3rd 04, 08:12 PM
SeeAndAvoid

A couple of places I was going to suggest have already been
suggested, but drawing a 300 mile ring around Ft. Smith sure
doesnt come up with alot. I assume you just mean day trips
where you'd be back home that day?
Not much to chose from, or at least nowhere I'd be in a
hurry to get to. If you want to go a little further though:

About 800 miles away go to Spearfish, SD and camp at
the base of Devils Tower, WY. I hear there's now an
airport right near Devils Tower as well, wasnt there
before, worth checking out. About 600 miles to the
NE is St. Joseph, MI and Lake Michigan. Was there
recently, really nice place. Dauphin(e?) Island in
southern Alabama on the gulf coast I hear is nice,
thats about 470 miles. (All these miles are statute,
drew a ring on MS Streets).
Check out $100 Hamburger website and/or Airnav.
Have fun, Chris

nk.net...

Old July 3rd 04, 11:39 PM
Neal

You should try Cedar Mills (3T0) on the southwest end of Lake Texoma.
(http://www.cedarmills.com). Only 150nm from you, you could pick a 3rd
leg to fly before heading back home.

Ft Smith, AR (KFSM) -- Cedar Mills, TX (3T0) -- Norman, OK (KOUN) --
Ft. Smith, AR (KFSM) would be a triangular route, nice day's flight
with restaurants at all three airports!

http://www.usenet.com
Old July 5th 04, 03:17 AM
Robert M. Gary

Matt Young wrote in message ink.net...
I'm trying to build x-country time for my instrument rating and I am
looking for suggestions of interesting airports/places to visit. I'm
based at Ft. Smith, AR and wondering if anyone has any particular
suggestions. Looking for things in 250, maybe 300 NM if it's really
interesting, things I can get to in a skyhawk in a day lol.

Try looking for a flight school that has a 141 certificate. You can
get your instrument rating under part 141 without the pre-cross
countries (just the instrument dual ones).

-Robert, CFI