Looking for Transciever suggestions

Old July 3rd 04, 02:46 AM
Lockrdg

Default Looking for Transciever suggestions

Having experienced and successfully survived my first complete electrical
failure, hence no radios (at night mind you), I am looking for suggestions as
to which hand-held transcievers I might looking into buying.

All suggestions are welcome...

Thanks in advance.
Old July 3rd 04, 04:23 AM
EDR

In article , Lockrdg
wrote:

Having experienced and successfully survived my first complete electrical
failure, hence no radios (at night mind you), I am looking for suggestions as
to which hand-held transcievers I might looking into buying.

The manufacturing trend is toward miniturization.
€*Unless you have child size fingers, I recommend the older, slightly
larger size units. One finger=one button.
€ Having said that, you can download the instruction manuals for most
of the popular aviation handhelds (ICOM, Yasau). Compare features and
familiarize yourself with the steps necessary to program the
frequencies you will use and other features offered.
€ Compare what is included in the price.
€*Compare the capacity of the included battery.
€*Power output will be expressed in two way, peak and carrier.
Compare apples to apples on these measurements.
€*Determine if this spec is for the included battery pack or attached
to a 12Vdc source.
€*The instruction manual should give the battery capacity (expressed in
mAHr) and the talk/listen time for that battery pack.
€*You will want to purchase an alkaline battery pack as a backup for
when you cannot recharge or if you forgot to recharge.
€ Ask about the antenna connector. Is a standard BNC or some other type
that requires a BNC-adaptor.
€ Look at the display. Is the display large enough to read when 18-24
inches from your eyes?
€Is the keyboard backlit?
Don't be in a rush to purchase before you have an opportunity to try it
out. If you know someone with a unit you are interested in, ask to
borrow it for flight or trip. They are great for obtaining clearances
prior to engine start, especially when there are departure delays,
calling for the fuel truck from the ramp, etc.
The new units have NOAA Weather frequencies built in, so you can get
the latest severe weather wherever you are.
Old July 3rd 04, 04:41 AM
Peter Gottlieb

"Lockrdg" wrote in message
I am looking for suggestions as
to which hand-held transcievers I might looking into buying.

I have the older Icom IC-A22 but I have user (or rather tried to use) the
VOR feature on it and consider it nearly useless for serious usage. If I
were to buy one today I would probably go for one of the smaller/lighter
Vertex units.

I have tried a bunch of different ones (old and new Icom, Yaesu, Vertex and
an old King) and to a first order approximation they have similar
sensitivity and power output. I did try making an entire flight (ground,
tower, then approach control, tower and finally ground) using the Icom and
it went completely smoothly with no one saying I was difficult to read etc.
Key: make sure to get and use the headset adapter. For my Icom I also got
the alkaline battery pack so if the NiCds go dead I have a backup which has
a very long shelf life. You can also buy NiMH packs now for them for about
the same price it would cost you to get new cells for an old pack.

While it is possible to program these units ahead of time I find it easier
to just enter the frequency on the keypad or it is really rough up there to
use the knob to change frequency (slowly, though).

Old July 3rd 04, 04:54 AM
john smith

Peter Gottlieb wrote:
"Lockrdg" wrote in message

I am looking for suggestions as
to which hand-held transcievers I might looking into buying.

I have the older Icom IC-A22 but I have user (or rather tried to use) the
VOR feature on it and consider it nearly useless for serious usage.

VOR's emit horizontally polarized signals, so you place the radio with
the antenna level with the horizon.
Comm signals are vertically polarized, so you hold the radio straight up
and down.
If you talk to FSS on a VOR frequency, you hold it vertically.
If you want to navigate with a VOR frequency, you hold it horizontally.

Old July 3rd 04, 06:31 AM
Morgans

"Lockrdg" wrote in message
Having experienced and successfully survived my first complete electrical
failure, hence no radios (at night mind you), I am looking for suggestions

as
to which hand-held transcievers I might looking into buying.

All suggestions are welcome...

Thanks in advance.

Is that all you're going to tell us? C'mon, out with it! g
--
Jim in NC

---

Old July 3rd 04, 06:43 AM
Peter Gottlieb

"john smith" wrote in message
.. .

VOR's emit horizontally polarized signals, so you place the radio with
the antenna level with the horizon.
Comm signals are vertically polarized, so you hold the radio straight up
and down.
If you talk to FSS on a VOR frequency, you hold it vertically.
If you want to navigate with a VOR frequency, you hold it horizontally.

Yes, I know all that. Even held horizontally and oriented for maximum
reception to a VOR it works marginally.

And when you are busy flying it is sure inconvenient to be moving that thing
around. Paying more attention to the radio than flying the plane is a
recipe for disaster.

Old July 3rd 04, 11:22 AM
Cub Driver

The small Vertex, formerly Yaseu. I have one as my only radio and like
it fine. The rechargable battery is a big plus for me.

Earlier I had a Sporty's and didn't care for it. It ate batteries and
was harder to use than the Yaseu.

On 03 Jul 2004 01:46:42 GMT, (Lockrdg) wrote:

Having experienced and successfully survived my first complete electrical
failure, hence no radios (at night mind you), I am looking for suggestions as
to which hand-held transcievers I might looking into buying.

All suggestions are welcome...

Thanks in advance.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:
(put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org
Old July 3rd 04, 12:18 PM
Viperdoc

The important thing isn't so much the radio as the antenna. The rubber duck
simply won't work as well as hooking the handheld directly into your
comm/nav antenna.

Most avionics shops can install a small jack where you can plug your
handheld that will utilize the plane's antennas. The range and clarity
difference is dramatic. You can then also plug your headset into the
handheld and work directly through the portable.

The comm portion works great, but I haven't tried this with the nav.

Old July 3rd 04, 04:54 PM
Thomas Borchert

Edr,

The manufacturing trend is toward miniturization.
€*Unless you have child size fingers, I recommend the older, slightly
larger size units. One finger=one button.

Check again: It's the units getting smaller, not the keys on them
(mostly).

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)