Advice on PPL

Old July 17th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander

Default Advice on PPL

Hi guys and gals!
Just heard about this group from a regular here (I think he's a regular
here!), and thought I'd take the opporyunity to ask a question that's been
bugging me.
I am going to start flying lessons within the next few months, come hell or
high water, and have started investigating what is involved. Due to budget
constraints, the lessons will be fairly thinly spaced, probably only 1
lesson a month, but maybe 2 or 3 in the first month. (Gotta love a decent
tax refund cheque!)
I live in Australia, so this question relates to regulations in Australia.
(Obviously! :-))
I have been told by a guy I know who flies for Cathay Pacific, that I can
learn to fly in an 'Ultra Light' and still nd up with a PPL. By Ultra Light
he means something like a Jabiru, and not a hang glider with a lawnmower
engine bolted on the back. He indicated that it would be much cheaper, and
I'd only need about 5 hours in a Cessna to complete the licence.
One flight school I rang, actually suggested I use their Jabiru to learn in,
and I'd end up with a full PPL at the end, puely with lessons in the Jabiru!
Is this correct? Can it be done in this type of a/c from start to finish?
(Talking only to PPL here, no IFR ratings or night ratings or anything like
that.) If so, it seems like the way to go for me. The flight school said the
average cost would drop from around $12,000 to around $8,000 in total! The
flight school said the Jabiru, or Gazelle for flight instruction is $30
cheaper per hour than a C150, and $60 cheaper per hour than a C172 or PA28!
If I can end up with a PPL from the Jabiru or Gazelle, am I then still
licenced to fly the Cessnas, or am I only qualified to fly the smaller
Jabirus or Gazelles?
Sorry for the dumb questions, but a guy needs to start somewhere.
Thanks in advance,
Crash Lander

Old July 17th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Flying only once per month is a waste of your money, you
just can't make effective progress at that rate. You'll be
spending money and each lesson will be mostly review of what
you forgot in the past 29 days.

Save your money until you can afford to fly at least twice a
week, three times is better.

As far as Australian rules, I'm in the USA and we now have
certificates issued for Student pilot, you just have to be
breathing. Light Sport Pilot requires 20 hours total time
and allows you to fly Light Sport Aircraft 92 seats, simple,
like a Piper Cub. Recreational Pilot has many restrictions
on where you can fly and never became popular in the USA.
The Private Pilot certificate requires 40 hours and is
limited to non-commercial, paid flying. The experience
gained at each level is transferable and applicable to the
next higher certificate. Using a less expensive airplane,
with lower cost and performance saves money.

Here are links to the USA rules
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...61_main_02.tpl

Google for Australian pilot license and see
http://www.casa.gov.au/ for your laws and other useful
links.

Browsing they have these links
http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/learntofly.htm
http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/stages.htm
http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/fcl_req.htm

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Old July 17th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

typo alert 2 seat limit for LSA and LS pilots.

Actually getting the certificate (license) often takes more,
sometimes much more time. This is often a result of drawn
out training programs.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Jim Macklin" wrote
in message news:0RLug.77284$ZW3.43169@dukeread04...

Old July 17th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
steve[_1_]

Great advice!

I deposited the entire amount ($2,000 in 1978) with the flight center and
flew an average of 4 days/week. This made it possible to solo at 8.5 hours
and get my PPL at 42 hours. I am not bragging, just stating that what Jim
recommended really works.

Steve

Old July 17th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

I'm glad that prepayment worked for you. When an school I worked for went
belly-up, students with money on account were left without any recourse.

Bob Gardner

. ..

Old July 17th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jim Macklin wrote:
Flying only once per month is a waste of your money, you
just can't make effective progress at that rate. You'll be
spending money and each lesson will be mostly review of what
you forgot in the past 29 days.

Save your money until you can afford to fly at least twice a
week, three times is better.

Once a month is pretty tough, but you don't need twice a week. I
averaged less than one flight a week and got my license in just about
one year with something like 47.2 hours logged.

Matt
Old July 18th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Some schools offer discounts for pre-payment. Often those
schools are just like the new gym/health club that opened
down the street. In two months it will be closed and those
pre-paid memberships will be gone. But there are options,
schools like Spartan or Flight Safety [just to name two] are
solid companies that have been in business and you can use a
bank and write a check every lesson or once a week. If
you've got the cash, you fly often and pay as you go.

The point is that unless you fly twice a week, your progress
will be VERY slow since too much time between lessons means
you spend moist of your time re-learning the same thing over
and over and don't get to the new stuff.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

. ..

wrote in message
> [...]
| | (Talking only to PPL here, no IFR ratings or night
ratings
| or anything like
| | that.) If so, it seems like the way to go for me. The
| flight school said the
| | average cost would drop from around $12,000 to around
| $8,000 in total! The
| | flight school said the Jabiru, or Gazelle for flight
| instruction is $30
| | cheaper per hour than a C150, and $60 cheaper per
hour
| than a C172 or PA28!
| | If I can end up with a PPL from the Jabiru or
Gazelle, am
| I then still
| | licenced to fly the Cessnas, or am I only qualified
to fly
| the smaller
| | Jabirus or Gazelles?
| | Sorry for the dumb questions, but a guy needs to
| |
| |

Old July 18th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

That is unusual, but such advice is for the average student.
Just to mention an extreme case the other way. We had a
senior partner from a major law firm who came out to learn
to fly. He had millions of dollars and was very heavily
scheduled in court. Often he would get one or two lessons a
month and then be called out of town for a trial in the
capital or even some other state for months at a stretch.
And he did some pro bono work when he saw some injustice.
The result, even though he was very intelligent and a good
study, he took 90 hours to solo. He then dropped out of
training and said he had done what he needed to do for his
ego, he soloed. Then he said that he had learned that his
schedule would never allow him to become his own pilot for
trips to various court dates. He said he knew when to quit
and how to hire a charter pilot. A wise lawyer. He might
have done better if I had been his regular instructor, but I
doubt that.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Old July 18th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

My goal is to just get up there. I'm not looking to have my licence in
record time, or anything like that. I'm only 33 years old, so I have plenty
of time, considering a lot of people don't start learning until they're in
their 50's and even later.
With 2 kids, a wife, and only 1 wage, more regular lessons are not really an
option. Once a month I should be able to afford fairly easily, with the
occasional month being able to spring for 2 or perhaps 3 at a stretch. My
question was asked in the hope that if I can in fact get my PPL in the
Jabiru or Gazelle, then I MAY in fact be able to have 2 per month as my
minimum due to the cost savings. I guess the main answer I'm looking for is
this. In Australia, if I only use a Jabiru or Gazelle from start to PPL,
would I be qualified to legally fly a Cessna 4 seater without further
training or testing?
Cheers,
Crash Lander

--

Chris Rosman
Delta Carpets Geelong

wrote in message
> [...]
| | (Talking only to PPL here, no IFR ratings or night
ratings
| or anything like
| | that.) If so, it seems like the way to go for me. The
| flight school said the
| | average cost would drop from around $12,000 to around
| $8,000 in total! The
| | flight school said the Jabiru, or Gazelle for flight
| instruction is $30
| | cheaper per hour than a C150, and $60 cheaper per
hour
| than a C172 or PA28!
| | If I can end up with a PPL from the Jabiru or
Gazelle, am
| I then still
| | licenced to fly the Cessnas, or am I only qualified
to fly
| the smaller
| | Jabirus or Gazelles?
| | Sorry for the dumb questions, but a guy needs to
| |
| |

Old July 18th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

You'll have to read the Australian regulations, URLs
previously posted, to get the exact answer or ask the CFI at
the airport. But it is my understanding that you will need
a formal check-ride in the different airplane, but the
skills and experience in the small and less expensive
airplane is credited, you don't have to start over again
with each airplane type. It will be less expensive using
the less expensive airplane as much as possible.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Crash Lander" wrote in message
| My goal is to just get up there. I'm not looking to have
my licence in
| record time, or anything like that. I'm only 33 years old,
so I have plenty
| of time, considering a lot of people don't start learning
until they're in
| their 50's and even later.
| With 2 kids, a wife, and only 1 wage, more regular lessons
are not really an
| option. Once a month I should be able to afford fairly
easily, with the
| occasional month being able to spring for 2 or perhaps 3
at a stretch. My
| question was asked in the hope that if I can in fact get
my PPL in the
| Jabiru or Gazelle, then I MAY in fact be able to have 2
per month as my
| minimum due to the cost savings. I guess the main answer
I'm looking for is
| this. In Australia, if I only use a Jabiru or Gazelle from
start to PPL,
| would I be qualified to legally fly a Cessna 4 seater
without further
| training or testing?
| Cheers,
| Crash Lander
|
| --
|
| Chris Rosman
| Delta Carpets Geelong
| p: 5221 4222
| m: 0414 936 170
| f: 5221 8178
| e:
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| Some schools offer discounts for pre-payment. Often
those
| schools are just like the new gym/health club that
opened
| down the street. In two months it will be closed and
those
| pre-paid memberships will be gone. But there are
options,
| schools like Spartan or Flight Safety [just to name two]
are
| solid companies that have been in business and you can
use a
| bank and write a check every lesson or once a week. If
| you've got the cash, you fly often and pay as you go.
|
| The point is that unless you fly twice a week, your
progress
| will be VERY slow since too much time between lessons
means
| you spend moist of your time re-learning the same thing
over
| and over and don't get to the new stuff.
|

| --
| James H. Macklin
| ATP,CFI,A&P
|
| "Bob Gardner" wrote in message
| . ..
| | I'm glad that prepayment worked for you. When an
school I
| worked for went
| | belly-up, students with money on account were left
without
| any recourse.
| |
| | Bob Gardner
| |
| | "steve" wrote in message
| | . ..
| | Great advice!
| |
| | I deposited the entire amount ($2,000 in 1978) with
the
| flight center and
| | flew an average of 4 days/week. This made it
possible to
| solo at 8.5 hours
| | and get my PPL at 42 hours. I am not bragging, just
| stating that what Jim
| | recommended really works.
| |
| | Steve
| |
| | "Jim Macklin"
| wrote in message
| | Flying only once per month is a waste of your
money,
| you
| | just can't make effective progress at that rate.
| You'll be
| | spending money and each lesson will be mostly
review of
| what
| | you forgot in the past 29 days.
| |
| | Save your money until you can afford to fly at
least
| twice a
| | week, three times is better.
| |
| | As far as Australian rules, I'm in the USA and we
now
| have
| | certificates issued for Student pilot, you just
have to
| be
| | breathing. Light Sport Pilot requires 20 hours
total
| time
| | and allows you to fly Light Sport Aircraft 92
seats,
| simple,
| | like a Piper Cub. Recreational Pilot has many
| restrictions
| | on where you can fly and never became popular in
the
| USA.
| | The Private Pilot certificate requires 40 hours and
is
| | limited to non-commercial, paid flying. The
experience
| | gained at each level is transferable and applicable
| the
| | next higher certificate. Using a less expensive
| airplane,
| | with lower cost and performance saves money.
| |
| | Here are links to the USA rules
| |

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...61_main_02.tpl
| |
| | Google for Australian pilot license and see
| | http://www.casa.gov.au/ for your laws and other
useful
| | links.
| |
| | Browsing they have these links
| | http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/learntofly.htm
| | http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/stages.htm
| | http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/fcl_req.htm
| |
| |
| | --
| | James H. Macklin
| | ATP,CFI,A&P
| |
| |
> [...]
| | or anything like
| | | that.) If so, it seems like the way to go for me.
The
| | flight school said the
| | | average cost would drop from around $12,000 to
around
| | $8,000 in total! The
| | | flight school said the Jabiru, or Gazelle for
flight
| | instruction is $30
| | | cheaper per hour than a C150, and $60 cheaper per
| hour
| | than a C172 or PA28!
| | | If I can end up with a PPL from the Jabiru or
| Gazelle, am
| | I then still
| | | licenced to fly the Cessnas, or am I only
qualified
| to fly
| | the smaller
| | | Jabirus or Gazelles?
| | | Sorry for the dumb questions, but a guy needs to
| | |
| | |
| |
| |