Again, GPS advice...

Old February 6th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Again, GPS advice...

So my Garmin Pilot III is complaining to me that the internal battery
has stopped functioning (hats off to it) and it's time to look for
another portable.

Man was I surprised to see that there is essentially nothing
comparable to the Pilot III in its price range anymore! Was I ever
even more surprised to see just how pricey all the Garmin offerings
seem to be anymore!

The search, then, is on. Garmin appears to be off my list unless
someone can give me a compelling reason to change my mind. XM weather
is of almost zero interest to me (another subscription service is not
something I want or need). I do have a need to plot a flight plan
directly into the device from its own control panel. So far, it looks
like I can get a better GPS by looking at the EKP IV or the Lowrance
2000c. And on a price comparison alone, the Lowrance is the decided
winner.

Does anyone here see something I'm missing? Is the Lowrance the way to
go? Does Garmin really deliver something unique to justify their
pricing? And the EKP?

Thanks in advance!

Greg Chapman
http://www.mousetrax.com

Old February 6th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Casey Wilson

wrote in message
oups.com...

[stuff deleted]

t the EKP IV or the Lowrance
2000c. And on a price comparison alone, the Lowrance is the decided
winner.

Does anyone here see something I'm missing? Is the Lowrance the way to
go? Does Garmin really deliver something unique to justify their
pricing? And the EKP?

Thanks in advance!

Greg Chapman
http://www.mousetrax.com

I have a Lowrance 2000c. Wouldn't leave home without it. As with the
rest of the field, you will dig into your pocket now and again to keep the
database updated. Even the VFR data gets old eventually. Kind of like flying
with an old sectional, if you get my meaning. Seriously consider paying a
few extra $$ for the terrain avoidance, also. I have it, and while I might
not stake my life on it [or anything else but my MKII eyballs] I find it to
be a useful add-on.
On the down side, it is not much help in the car except to give you
ground speed. Final destination ETA on the ground is typically 10 to 20
minutes optimistic on long trips. LOL, it does get more accurate, the closer
you get to your [final] destination.
Hope this helps.
--
Regards,

Casey Wilson
Freelance Writer
and Photographer

Old February 6th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 5, 10:17 pm, Newps wrote:
So buy another Pilot III on ebay. Another good choice is a 295. Those
can be had for about $400.

I would were it not for the way batteries work. Best I can tell, it's
been 3 years since the Pilot III ended production. Those internal
batteries are not replaceable (without glue) and they are aging every
day, whether they are in use or not.

Thanks, though!

Greg

Old February 6th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tony roberts

Lowrance 2000c is superb value.
I switched from Garmin a few months ago & love it

Tony

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
VFR OTT
Night
Cessna 172H C-GICE
Old February 6th 07, 08:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 5, 10:17 pm, Newps wrote:
So buy another Pilot III on ebay. Another good choice is a 295. Those
can be had for about $400.

I would were it not for the way batteries work. Best I can tell, it's
been 3 years since the Pilot III ended production. Those internal
batteries are not replaceable (without glue) and they are aging every
day, whether they are in use or not.

There was a discussion regarding changing that type of battery. It is
doable, and by putting a temporary battery on jumpers, you can do it without
dumping the settings. If it has a reset button to restore the functions,
just unsolder one and put another one in with silver bearing solder and hot
glue.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 6th 07, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Does anyone here see something I'm missing?

Not really.

Is the Lowrance the way to
go?

Well, the Airmap 600c is also interesting, IMHO. The 2000c is bigger,
with a larger screen at the same resolution. If size is no problem, the
2000c is it.

And the EKP?

Largest display of them all. Very large. Huge. If you're into that, it's
the one to go for. There's also a smaller unit from AvMap called
GeoPilot Plus - is that offered in the US? If so, it can be made into a
turn-by-turn street navigator for a fairly low price. No battery in that
unit, though.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 6th 07, 11:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:
So my Garmin Pilot III is complaining to me that the internal battery
has stopped functioning (hats off to it) and it's time to look for
another portable.

A bit of Googling shows
http://forums.gpscity.com/showthread.php?p=11088 .
Digi-Key currently lists three variations on that battery; all of them
sell for less than $2 in quantity 1. Unfortunately Digi-Key has a $5
surcharge on orders under $25, plus you'll pay a few bucks shipping -
maybe $12 total. Mouser only has one variety, also for just under $2,
but they don't have the surcharge on small orders - maybe $7 total.
Radio Shack does not have this battery. A local electronics distributor
_might_ have this battery.

If you're not sure which end of a soldering iron to hold, you might
inquire at local TV/VCR repair shops to see if they would be willing to
swap the battery for you.

The link above also mentions having Garmin change the battery; have you
checked with Garmin to see if they will still service this model?

I also realize that you may have some money burning a hole in your
pocket. If you buy a new GPS, then fix the old one, you've got
a second one for the copilot's yoke, or for in the car, or whatever.
Or, if you can fix the Pilot III successfully, you've got some time to
compare new models and maybe wait for a deal.

Matt Roberds