Bush flew fighter jets, but never over VIETNAM.

Old July 11th 04, 08:02 PM
Steve Mellenthin

Thanks but I defer to one Paul Dembrowsky, on whose wing I flew on a six
month
deployment to Thailand in 72. He had 479 at the start of the deployment.

Sheeesh. The mind boggles as the blood curles. No one in WW II got nearly
that
many.

Arthur Kramer

There were a few tiems when the gear and flaps were still retracting as you
were entering into the dive bomb pattern. Or at least it seemed that way. I
had one sortie where we had to recover and rearm 20 min after TO from DaNang.
Average sortie length was probably 2.5 hours or so. Don't forget we got to
work a little faster than you did so there was more opportunity to fly more
missions. Paul Had a total of around 30 months in SEA as opposed to my 20.
Old July 11th 04, 08:09 PM
Steve Mellenthin

Bombers flew missions. Fighters flew sorties

I woulen't exactly call a 50 ship Linebacker a sortie.
Old July 11th 04, 08:20 PM
Chris Mark

I think Ed said he had 100 and I flew 50. So you still lead the pack. Well
done.

Thanks but I defer to one Paul Dembrowsky, on whose wing I flew on a six
month
deployment to Thailand in 72. He had 479 at the start of the deployment.

Sheeesh. The mind boggles as the blood curles. No one in WW II got nearly
that
many.

One of the more impressive gentlemen I ever met was Max Mortensen. He served
with one of the B-25 groups in the Pacific during WW2--served is putting it
mildly. He joined it as a 2nd Lt. and stayed with the unit through 26 months
of continuous combat, flying iirc some 110 combat missions and rising to the
rank of Lt. Col. He survived everything the enemy could throw at him,
including a direct flak hit in the bomb bay while over Rabaul, which ignited
the WP bomblets, finally being shot down while attacking a frigate, near Hainan
Island iirc during the closing days of the war, captured by the Japanese,
starved and tortured (one of the thee crewmen who survived the ditching died
under the torture). He was rescued by an OSS team led by John Singlaub, the
same Singlaub who, as commander of UN forces in Korea was fired by Pres. Carter
in a pretty messy incident.
You may know Mortensen. He was the last commander of the former 344th (by
then renamed something else) when it was based in France in the early 1950s and
flying Douglas B-26s (nee A-26).

Chris Mark
Old July 11th 04, 08:20 PM
Steve Mellenthin

Whats pack 6 and pack 1? Was it anything like the Ruhr Valley? (:-)

Roughly translated, areas that North Viet Nam was divided into for routing and
targeting purposes. Route Package 1 was the far south of NVN in the panhandle
and Route Package was basically the Hanoi area. I've been told that Pack 6
was the most heavily defended area in history prior to downtown Baghdad in
Desert Storm but I have no basis for comparison. All I can tell you is that on
a clear day, Hanoi was clear as a bell if you were the first flight in and
hazier than downtown LA in the summer from groundfire if you were the last.
Old July 11th 04, 08:21 PM
D. Strang

"ArtKramr" wrote

Bombers flew missions. Fighters flew sorties.

Fighter pilots probably speak French better...

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
Bush Flew Fighter Jets During Vietnam WalterM140 Military Aviation 609 September 11th 04 03:26 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM