"Flying too High" by Steven Pomper

Old October 5th 05, 11:22 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Montblack" wrote in message

How did they plot all of those planes' positions? Pilot reports or their
own triangulations?

Position reports and filed speeds were used to plot positions of aircraft on
a large map table initially. Eventually the map table was dispensed with
and controllers just used the "map" in their heads.

With no radar, what were the controllers doing in the late 30's, waiting
for pilots to call in and tell Center where they thought they were?

Not pilots, Center controllers didn't have direct pilot/controller radio
communications until the early fifties. Position reports and clearances
were relayed via telephone through Airway Radio Stations (Renamed Airway
Communication Stations in 1938, Air Traffic Communications Stations in 1958,
and Flight Service Stations in 1960. That's why we address FSS as "Radio".)
and airline dispatchers.

Old October 6th 05, 12:02 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Steven, can you recommend a good "History of the Airways" book that covers
all this kind of stuff?

"Air Traffic Control" by Glen A. Gilbert, published in 1945. Glen Gilbert
is known as "The Father of Air Traffic Control", he developed most of the
early procedures. He was the first manager of the Chicago Airway Traffic
Control Center. He wrote another book in 1973, "Air Traffic Control: The
Uncrowded Sky".

DOT had published a series of books on the history of civil aviation policy:

"Bonfires to Beacons: Federal Civil Aviation Policy Under the Air Commerce
Act, 1926-1938", by Nick A. Komons, 1978.

"Turbulence Aloft: The Civil Aeronautics Administration Amid Wars and
Rumors of Wars, 1938-1953", by John R. M. Wilson, 1979.

"Takeoff at Mid-Century: Federal Civil Aviation Policy in the Eisenhower
Years, 1953-1961, by Stuart I. Rochester, 1976.

"Safe, Separated, and Soaring: A History of Federal Civil Aviation Policy,
1961-1972, by Richard J. Kent, Jr., 1980.

"Troubled Passage: The Federal Aviation Administration During the
Nixon-Ford Term, 1973-1977, by Edmund Preston, 1987.

Old October 6th 05, 02:04 AM

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
"Hank Rausch" wrote in message
ups.com...
Skylune wrote:
Here is the solution:

http://ismydrivingsafe.com/rs/Driver...%20Program.htm

I went to this site and now I think I understand your position
vis-a-vis GA. The website is a prescription for a citizen surveillance

snip

I love knee jerk reactions as much as the next guy but...

How does hiring a company to see if those you have authorized to drive your
vehicles and buy doing so put you at great liability in any way have a damn
thing to do with the loss of personal liberty?

Because skycrank suggested this sort of program be applied to you,
diving your car home from the grocery store. The guy has a much more
generalized problem with personal freedom than just being an anti-GA
zealot.

Old October 6th 05, 04:12 PM
Jay Honeck

Steven, can you recommend a good "History of the Airways" book that
covers
all this kind of stuff?

"Air Traffic Control" by Glen A. Gilbert, published in 1945. Glen Gilbert

Big Snip

Wow, thanks. I have a feeling me and Amazon are going to be getting to
know each other better, soon!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 6th 05, 04:33 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

"Air Traffic Control" by Glen A. Gilbert, published in 1945. Glen
Gilbert

Big Snip

Wow, thanks. I have a feeling me and Amazon are going to be getting to
know each other better, soon!

You're welcome. I don't know what kind of luck you'll have locating a copy
for purchase, but you should be able to find it through interlibrary loan.
The DOT series of books I mentioned are still available for purchase.

http://www.faa.gov/about/history/history_pubs/